[MyAppleMenu] Nov 10, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Nov 10 18:59:01 EST 2009

**** Apple Posts Wireless Keyboard Update 2.0 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=ec33d16bc7830cda2e58d48e858078d6>
Scott McNulty, Macworld

**** Magic Mouse Is Apple's Best Mouse Ever, But… <http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/11/09/magic-mouse-is-apples-best-mouse-ever-but/>
MG Siegler, TechCrunch

The short answer is yes. This is hands-down the best mouse Apple has ever made. It’s not even close. That said, it could be even better, and hopefully down the road, with a software update, it will be.

**** Jailbreaking Puts iPhone Owners At Risk <http://www.infoworld.com/d/security-central/jailbreaking-puts-iphone-owners-risk-549?source=rss_infoworld_news>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

Pwn2own winner Charlie Miller says modified iPhones lack security defenses and are therefore easier to hijack

**** Is Apple Stopping Progress? <http://andyabramson.blogs.com/voipwatch/2009/11/is-apple-stopping-progress.html>
VoIP Watch

**** Letter From Paris: Apple Mania! <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/beth-arnold/letter-from-paris-apple-m_b_351168.html>
Beth Anoid, Huffington Post

**** Apple Rejects My Caricature App <http://www.tomrichmond.com/blog/2009/11/09/apple-rejects-my-caricature-app/>
Tom Richmond, Tom's MAD Blog

Wow. I’ve had rejections in theme parks before but never because my drawings were considered “obscene, pornographic, or defamatory”.

**** Apple As An Obsessive-compulsive Case Study <http://www.networkworld.com/columnists/2009/110909bradner.html>
Scott Bradner, Networld World

Apple's take-it-like-we-serve-it attitude has recently struck close to home for me and it is frustrating.

**** Lawsuit Claims iPhone Games Stole Phone Numbers <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=a83c1c07c19a5c6e0b8f8d28d79c5671>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** Orb Has Landed For Intel Macs <http://www.tuaw.com/2009/11/09/orb-has-landed-for-intel-macs/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

If you are a sometime PC user you probably know about Orb, a multimedia sharing tool that allows you to access your media from anywhere you have an internet connection and a browser. Now, Orb has come to the Mac and it's got great possibilities -- but it's a mixed bag in terms of reliability.

**** Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.6.2 With Guest Account Bug Fix <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/11/09/apple_releases_mac_os_x_10_6_2_with_guest_account_bug_fix.html>
AppleInsider

Apple's second update for Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.2, was officially released Monday afternoon, fixing a number of issues including a guest account bug that could potentially delete a user's account data.

**** Apple Releases Security Update 2009-006 For Leopard <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=b82966bf88a695979b33a52dd2d1ed8b>
Ramu Nagappan, Macworld

**** Tethering To iPhone Still Coming, AT&T Says; No Date Set: AT&T Has Promised Tethering For The iPhone For A Year" <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9140586/Tethering_to_iPhone_still_coming_AT_T_says_no_date_set?source=rss_news>
Matt Hamblen, Computerworld

AT&T today reiterated its plans to offer tethering on the iPhone, but again gave no date when that might happen -- more than a year after the carrier first said tethering would be coming "soon."

**** Magic Mouse Works Fine For Multi-Touch Unless You’re The Six-Fingered Man <http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/11/09/magic-mouse-works-fine-for-multi-touch-unless-youre-the-six-fingered-man/>
MG Siegler, TechCrunch

The Magic Mouse has no problem following up four points of contact relatively easily. It works for five too, but at that point, the surface area on the top of the mouse becomes the issue.

**** Confirmed: 10.6.2 Removes Atom CPU Support From Snow Leopard <http://www.tuaw.com/2009/11/09/10-6-2-removes-atom-support/>
TJ Luoma, TUAW

Is this Apple clamping down on "hackintosh" computers, or just continuing to prune code that it doesn't need? The answer you prefer likely depends on your previous view of Apple.

**** Intel Introduces A Digital Book Reader That Reads Aloud To The Blind <http://venturebeat.com/2009/11/09/intel-introduces-a-digital-book-reader-for-the-blind/>
Dean Takahashi, VentureBeat

The Intel Reader is available today for $1,499.That’s a pretty hefty price, considering that devices like the $259 Amazon Kindle can read books aloud in a robotic voice. But the Intel Reader is based on a lot of research and is designed for the visually impaired, first and foremost.

**** Green Giants By Tim McKeough <http://www.walrusmagazine.com/articles/2009.12-urban-affairs-green-giants/>
Tim McKeough, The Walrus

How urban planners are turning industrial eyesores into popular public spaces.

**** Three Anniversaries <http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2009/11/09/three_anniversaries/index.html>
Michael Lind, Salon

The fall of the Berlin Wall, 9/11 and the collapse of Lehman Brothers: Each ushered in a new American era.

**** Daily Threads <http://feeds.slate.com/click.phdo?i=63428e8cc32ac49b03688f21ddd719b8>
Wyn Cooper, Slate Magazine

**** Changi Airport Singapore <http://www.abtn.co.uk/comment/0913378-feature-changi-airport-singapore>
Tom.Otley, ABTN

Foo Sek Min, executive vice-president of airport management at Singapore Changi talks about the challenges facing the airport

**** Asia Must Study Stimulus Exit 'Carefully,' Singapore's Lim Says <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aKYkXDcBkqyQ>
Shamim Adam and Valarie Tan, Bloomberg

**** Airports Not For Tobacco Ban <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_452227.html>
Karamjit Kaur, Straits Times

Changi Airport has put its weight behind a global airports group opposing a World Health Organisation (WHO) proposal to ban the sale of duty-free tobacco products on airport premises. The Airports Council International (ACI), which groups 1,679 airports worldwide, including Changi, maintains that this move will hurt airport earnings, as well as penalise the travelling public.

**** Yes, Set A Property Quota For Citizens <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_452126.html>
Wong Mei Keng, Straits Times

I hope something will be done to control property prices and make them go back to the good old days when we need not bid or ballot for a home.

**** Don't Take Potong Pasir For Granted, SPP <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_452300.html>
Thomas Teo, Straits Times

The reply by the Singapore People's Party (SPP) last Thursday ('SPP: Potong Pasir voters not short-changed') understates the sacrifices made by Potong Pasir residents in voting in an opposition Member of Parliament.

**** And Now It's Three <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC091110-0000101/And-now-its-three>
Neo Chai Chin, Today

It is officially a free-for all for the iPhone in Singapore. And while the public can expect charges to drop - and the telcos anticipate high take-up rates - news yesterday of StarHub's entry to the iPhone market nonetheless drew a bittersweet response from some consumers.

**** Singapore As 'Thought Leader' At Apec <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC091110-0000053/Singapore-as-thought-leader-at-Apec>
Ansley Ng, Today

Ministry of trade and industry (MTI) permanent secretary Ravi Menon told MediaCorp in an email interview that with the meetings taking place at a time of "momentous changes", Singapore hopes to "strike a balance between responding to the crisis at hand and positioning our economies for the post-crisis future".

**** Thinking Out Of The Box In A Singapore Library <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/rana/~3/MTUhWVRHVvk/thinking-out-of-the-box-in-a-singapore-library.html>
Blowin' In The Wind

I love the playful design of the Bishan Public Library with its narrow glass cubicles jutting out of the facade like so many books pulled out of shelves.

I can't help but wonder about the air-con cost, what with all these transparent windows.

**** Singapore Bent On Protest-free APEC Summit <http://news.malaysia.msn.com/regional/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3697445>
AFP

Singapore's legendary zeal for public order will be on full display this week when it hosts a summit involving US President Barack Obama and 20 other leaders. Even one-man protests are banned.

**** MDA Appoints Leo Burnett For Media Classification Drive In Singapore <http://www.media.asia/Newsarticle/2009_11/MDA-appoints-Leo-Burnett-for-media-classification-drive-in-Singapore/37821>
Kenny Lim, Media

The Media Development Authority of Singapore (MDA) has appointed Leo Burnett to oversee and implement an integrated public education campaign for media classification.

**** China's Lack Of Popularity Among Its Neighbors <http://www.upiasia.com/Politics/2009/11/09/chinas_lack_of_popularity_among_its_neighbors/5278/>
Li Kaisheng, UPI Asia

On one hand, these countries are interacting with China more and more in terms of trade, economic and civil exchanges. But on the other hand, they keep a wary eye on China and spare no effort at encouraging the United States to balance China’s influence.

**** Johor Not Competing With Singapore For Theme Park Visitors <http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/11/10/business/5077365&sec=business>
Malaysia Star

Johor is not competing with Singapore in attracting visitors to the two soon-to-be-built theme parks in Iskandar Malaysia. Mentri Besar Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman said Legoland Malaysia in Medini and the Family Indoor Theme Park in Puteri Harbour were more for children below 12 years of age.

**** 向新加坡学习是闹剧 <http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_517ed7440100glgg.html>
王廉, 新浪博客

如果要说学,城市经营有些经验可取,但新加坡的制度不能随便学。

**** New $100 Singapore Banknotes <http://www.tanwj.com/banknotes/new-100-singapore-banknotes/>
Tan Wei Jie!

**** Singapore Air Posts Worse-than-expected Q2 Loss <http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssIndustryMaterialsUtilitiesNews/idUSSGC00337020091110>
Harry Suhartono, Reuters

Singapore Airlines, the world's biggest airline by market value, reported a worse-than-expected second quarter loss as the global economic slowdown hit the carrier's higher margin business travellers particularly hard. The company, which warned in July it could post a full-year loss if tough conditions last, reported a net loss of S$159 million compared to a net profit of S$324 million a year ago.

**** The Effectiveness Of NSmen System <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2009/11/effectiveness-of-nsmen-system.html>
Goh Meng Seng, Singapore Alternatives

There are many other ways to moderate our defense spending and I believe there may be people with more creative, effective and efficient plans to help us in this without compromising on our safety.

**** In Singapore, Nature Reborn As Art <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/11/arts/11iht-jessop.html?_r=1>
Sonia Kolesnikov Jessop, New York Times