[MyAppleMenu] Nov 9, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Nov 9 18:59:01 EST 2009

**** Apple Addict <http://www.ted.me/apple-addict/>
Ted Murphy

**** How Apple Handles App Store Infringement Complaints: Badly <http://www.osnews.com/story/22458/How_Apple_Handles_App_Store_Infringement_Complaints_Badly>
OS News

**** Apple TV Is Still On The Fritz0 <http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/11/08/apple-tv-is-still-on-the-fritz/>
Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

Despite a hasty fix to repair the last update, reports of problems continue to pour in.

**** A For Apple, I For Phone <http://savannahnow.com/column/2009-11-07/mcgee-apple-i-phone>
Michelle McGee, Savannah Morning News

If you are an iPhoner, though, you understand because you know that the iPhone is more than just a phone. In fact, it's a world of entertainment at your fingertips, no matter how small they may be.

**** Apple Still Not Allowing VoIP Calls Over 3G <http://gigaom.com/2009/11/08/voip-3g-iphone/>
Om Malik, GigaOM

A month has passed since the decision was announced, and there is still no support for VoIP over 3G.

**** HD Radio For The iPhone <http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/11/09/app-watch-hd-radio-for-the-iphone/>
Lauren Goode, Wall Street Journal

The HD Radio app for the iPhone, while technically free, isn’t cheap. It requires a Gigaware HD Radio receiver accessory, which costs $80 and is only available at Radio Shack. Headphones are also required, not just for listening purposes, but also to act as antennae for the receiver.

**** Apple Begins Shipping Core I5 iMacs <http://feeds.macnn.com/click.phdo?i=7534aca4d42661f9f7dbb7caa0054328>
MacNN

Apple this morning began sending notices that it has started shipping at least Core i5-equipped versions of the 27-inch iMac.

**** First-Known iPhone Worm 'Rickrolls' Jailbroken Apple Handsets <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/11/09/first_known_iphone_worm_rickrolls_jailbroken_apple_handsets.html>
AppleInsider

The iPhone's first worm -- a playful, wallpaper-changing prank that only affects jailbroken phones -- could be a sign of more dangerous things to come.

**** Review: Bare Bones' Yojimbo 2.0 <http://www.macnn.com/reviews/bare-bones-yojimbo.html>
MacNN

**** iPhone Hints: Take Self-portraits More Easily <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=1bf4ecf2865ef070b96e8cd8ee059904>
Dan Moren, Macworld

The iPhone’s shutter control doesn’t trigger when you press the camera button, it triggers when you release it. So the simple trick for taking better iPhone self-portraits is to press and hold the camera button, then turn the phone around and snap the picture by releasing your finger.

**** Little Darlings <http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2009/11/08/high_glitz_child_pageant_slideshow/index.html>
Amanda Fortini, Salon

Inside the elaborate, disturbing and downright riveting world of child-beauty pageants.

**** Fireflies <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/11/16/091116po_poem_smith>
Dave Smith, New Yorker

**** The Burglary <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/11/16/091116po_poem_pastan>
Linda Pastan, New Yorker

**** Alone <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2009/11/16/091116fi_fiction_li>
Yiyun Li, New Yorker

When the waitress came to take the order, she asked how Suchen was doing with the smoke. Suchen replied vaguely that all was well with her, though she had no idea what smoke the waitress was talking about. The man sitting at the next table, an elbow away—the patio was barely large enough for the six tables it held, three of them unoccupied—must have been observing the exchange; he leaned over after the waitress had left and explained that up north the wildfire was just a few miles from the state highway.

**** Poem Of The Week: Our Be'thplace By William Barnes <http://feeds.guardian.co.uk/~r/theguardian/books/rss/~3/AkgrU_PTGIQ/poem-of-the-week-william-barnes>
Carol Rumens, Guardian

**** Baby-unfriendly Poles On SBS Buses <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_451885.html>
Ong Chee Seng, Straits Times

The entrances and exits of SBS buses are fitted with a metal pole divider in the centre of the doors, making loading and unloading of baby prams or strollers tedious and difficult.

**** The Difference That Is Invent Singapore <http://sgentrepreneurs.com/contributors-corner/2009/11/08/the-difference-that-is-invent-singapore/>
Abhinav Jain, SGEntrepreneurs

**** Singapore Bottoms Out Of Crisis With Minimum Damage: Lee Kuan Yew <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.xinhuanet.com%2Fenglish%2F2009-11%2F09%2Fcontent_12412979.htm&usg=AFQjCNHjaqliNOvEbkoSmquR7D68eDxABw>
Xinhua

**** Film Censorship Correspondence, Part 2 <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2009/yax-1082.htm>
Yawning Bread

I thought long and hard about what I should say in response, but in the end, I felt it would make very little sense to bang one's head on a brick wall, writing an email back. In any case, I think it is apparent enough to readers that ultimately, the authorities' response is not of reason, but essentially one of folding their arms and saying: "Because we said so."

**** A Rebuttal To Andy Ho’s Article On Climate Change <http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/11/09/a-rebuttal-to-andy-hos-article-on-climate-change/>
Julian Wong Li-An, The Temasek Review

Andy Ho relies on selective analysis, dubious science and false assertions in urging Singapore to resist action on climate change. In doing so, Mr. Ho single-handedly casts a pall over his own credibility as a science writer, compromises the integrity of the paper for which he writes for, and undermines the international standing of a country that wants to be, in the words of PM Lee Hsien Loong, a “responsible member of the international community” that should shoulders its “fair share of the collective global effort to reduce carbon emissions.”

**** More Turn To Sub-letting HDB Flats <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC091109-0000038/More-turn-to-sub-letting-HDB-flats>
Esther Ng, Today

Some were in financial hardship, and an increasing number were Singaporeans working overseas or who simply saw their flats as investments. They made up the growing number of households that are sub-letting their entire flats - a figure that jumped 21 per cent in the course of the last financial year.

**** Sucking Demigods’ Toes <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2009/yax-1081.htm>
Yawning Bread

I sometimes wonder why people don't seem to feel embarrassed. They hold high positions; they can't be stupid to have gotten to where they are. Yet they kowtow to their political masters so low, they not only kiss their feet, but suck their toes.

**** PRs Vetted Carefully <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_452034.html>
Rachel Chang, Straits Times

The government looks closely at permanent residents' (PRs) contributions to Singapore before deciding which ones can become citizens, said minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew on Sunday night at a Tanjong Pagar GRC event.

**** From Railway Track To The Centrepoint (Part 1 Of 2) <http://timesofmylife.wordpress.com/2009/11/09/from-railway-track-to-the-centrepoint-part-1-of-2/>
Times of My Life

I just got my key when they first opened in 1983. I mean my 21 years old ‘key’ when Centrepoint first opened in 1983 at Orchard Road. Many of us have witnessed the changes of the landscape occuppied by Centrepoint over the years. Even Centrepoint itself have undergone major ‘facelift’ throughout all these years.

**** StarHub: Reached Deal With Apple To Offer iPhone In Singapore <http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20091108-703859.html>
Down Jones

**** A Christmas All Decked Out in Singapore <http://claudia.sg/2009/11/a-christmas-all-decked-out-in-singapore/>
Claudia the Panda

**** Singapore Says It May Need More Anti-Speculation Property Rules <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aqr8hthy9z5k&pos=5>
Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

Singapore may need to implement more measures to rein in its property market should low interest rates and an economic recovery renew speculative purchases, the central bank said.

**** Counting The Costs Of Male Citizenship <http://frankcomment.blogspot.com/2009/11/counting-costs-of-ns.html>
Jimmy Mun, Frankly Speaking

**** Singapore Inc. <http://flaneurose.blogspot.com/2009/11/singapore-inc.html>
Flaneurose