[MyAppleMenu] Jan 12, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jan 12 13:15:02 EST 2009

**** Apple In The Enterprise: Inevitable, But Still Not Easy <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=331080&source=rss_topic123>
by Mary Brandel, Computerworld
Thanks to the enthusiasm it has generated in the consumer market and the enterprise-friendly features it has added to the Mac and the iPhone, Apple will likely make inroads into more corporate environments, but gaining acceptance may not be easy. Even Mac veterans say that Apple doesn't always act like other technology partners and that mixing Macs into the enterprise requires time and research.

**** Accidents Will Happen <http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/jan/05/murphys-law-accidents>
by Jon Henley, The Guardian
It is worth noting that there is no point disputing Murphy's Law.

**** iPod, iTouch, iLove! <http://www.thepacificanonline.com/content/view/1407/2/>
by Seema Ghatnekar, The Pacifican

**** Senators' Laptops The Apple Of Their Ayes <http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10534817>
by Paul Hammel, Omaha World-Herald
Issues of size versus extra cost have been raised about hte purchase of new MacBook Air laptop computers for Nebraska state senator &mdash; although the purchase has plent of defenders within the Capitol.

**** BravoBug Launches Mega BrickBash 3000 For Mac <http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/01/11/mega.brickbash.3000/>
by MacNN
BravoBug Software has launched Mega BrickBash 3000 for the Mac, an arcade-style game where players move a platform right and left in order to deflect small energy balls.

**** To Connect To The Internet, Just Turn On Your TV <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/12/technology/personaltech/12cesexec.html?ref=todayspaper>
by Saul Hansell, New York Times
If there was one overarching theme from the Consumer Electronics Show last week, it was that absolutely every device in our lives is becoming a computer connected to the internet.

**** Sign-Language Translator <http://www.technologyreview.com/communications/21944/?a=f>
by Jennifer Chu, MIT Technology Review
The first sign-language dictionary that's searchable by gesture.

**** Let's Invent An iTunes For News <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/12/business/media/12carr.html>
by David Carr, New York Times
Those of us who are in the newspaper business could not be blamed for hoping that someone like Steve Jobs comes along and ruins our business as well by pulling the same trick: convincing the millions of interested readers who get their news every day free on newspapers sites that it's time to pay up.

**** How Investigative Research Happens In The Blogosphere <http://www.scripting.com/stories/2009/01/11/howInvestigativeResearchHa.html>
by Dave Winer, Scripting News

**** Learning To Read <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/01/19/090119po_poem_wright>
by Franz Wright, New Yorker

**** Eh? <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/01/19/090119po_poem_anderson>
by Nathalie Anderson, New Yorker

**** L.A. Weekly: The Autopsy Report <http://marccooper.com/la-weekly-the-autopsy-report/>
by Marc Cooper
The slow-motion collapse of L.A. Weekly also coincides with a radical shriking of the L.A. Times, the implosion of The Daily News and the continuing downard descent of smaller papers likeCity Beat and The Daily Journal. If there was ever a time for an aggressive, irreverent, credible metro weekly to take on the Gray Lady, it's right now, right here. That requires investment, not layoffs &mdash; seriousness and not shoddy, half-arsed ideological crud passed off as news.

**** One Country, Two Systems Part III <http://singaporerebel.blogspot.com/2009/01/one-country-two-systems-part-lll.html>
by Martyn See, Only "Objective" And "Factual" Political Films Please, We're Singaporeans

**** Response To Media Queries On Arrests Of Two Singaporeans Who Staged A Protest In MOM <http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal/en/press_room/press_releases/2009/20090112-Joint_statement.html>
by Ministry Of Manpower, Ministry of Home Affairs, Singapore Government
Police confirm the arrests of two Singapore citizens, Seelan Palay and Chong Kai Xiong. At about 12 pm, the two entered the premises of the Ministry of Manpower to stage a protest against the non-renewal of the work permits of some Myanmar nationals.

**** HDB To Build Granny Flats <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_325164.html>
by Theresa Tan, Straits Times
The Housing Board (HDB) will continue building small flats meant for the elderly, known as studio apartments, as these have proven a hit with older Singaporeans.

**** 2,000 Electronics Jobs To Go <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_325119.html>
by Aaron Low, Straits Times
At least 2,000 workers in the electronics sector are expected to lose their jobs by March, said National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) deputy secretary general Halimah Yacob said on Monday morning. This is comparable to the 2,300 jobs lost in the ailing manufacturing sector int he whole of last year.

**** Singapore At A Bargain Basement Price <http://www.theage.com.au/travel/singapore-at-a-bargain-basement-price-20090108-7cnv.html>
by Richard Tulloch, The Age
I remember when the Singapore dollar was worth a good deal less than the Australian dollar. Now they're almost the same. So, faced with an unavoidable stopover en route to a modestly paid job, I was determined to do it on a shoestring. I had one rule, though - if luxury was out of the question, my stayhad to be comfortable, interesting and fun. That turned out to be easy to achieve.

**** Safeguard Your Info <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/296450.asp>
by Peter Douglas, Today
In Singapore, individuals are often asked to take reckless chances with their personal information.

**** Would A Women's Ministry Help? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/296449.asp>
by Lin Yanqin, Today
There's no such pressing need for such a ministry in Singapore, argue some women politicians here.

**** Mr Tan Kin Lian And His Bid For Political Office <http://houganger.blogspot.com/2009/01/mr-tan-kin-lian-and-his-bid-for.html>
by Chee Wai Lee
What has impressed me about Mr. Tan is his willingnes to engage with people, even with peole he does nto agree with.

**** Why Obsess About Government Response? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/296463.asp>
by P N Balji, Today
Here's a reality check for those bloggers who want the government to respond to their views. The government will do it on its own terms and in its own turf.
Instead of waiting, I suggest they cast aside this craving for government attention and continue to do what they have been doing all this while.

**** Singapore: A Future Player In Islamic Finance <http://aawsat.com/english/news.asp?section=6&id=15341>
by Lahem al Nasser, Asharq Alawsat

**** Singapore Expects 'Challenging Year' For Tourism <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=asQmaaFwII1g&refer=asia>
by Simeon Bennett and Chen Shiyin, Bloomberg
Singapore expects a "challenging year" for tourism in 2009 as the global economic recession curtails consumer spending and holiday plans.

**** Tippling Club Mixes Cocktails, Molecular Food: Singapore Dining <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601088&sid=avjYRQtLGTCk&refer=home>
by Adam Majendie, Bloomberg
Singapore's Tippling Club is defying the times, charging S$600 for a two-person dinner of deconstructed food and smoking cocktails that is as much abaret as cuisine.

**** Their Home Under The Flyover <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,189461,00.html?>
by Zalhan Mohamed Yusof, New Paper
It's hardly the great outdoors. But, to at least three people who have been camping out below a flyover along Telok Blangah Road, it's home.

**** Typical US Home Now Cheaper Than HDB Flat <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,189479,00.html?>
by New Paper
/Is the question, as New Paper puts it, "how bad are things over there", or is the question, how big a bubble we have over here?/

**** Muslims Can Work In IR <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_324868.html>
by Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times
Muslims here should not rule out working in the upcoming integrated resorts where there are jobs, as long as it is not in their gaming sections, said minister Yaacob Ibrahim on Sunday.
/One has to note, however, that probably almost everything in the non-gaming-section are really in support of the gaming section where presumably the big profits are./