[MyAppleMenu] Jan 11, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jan 11 13:15:01 EST 2009

**** How Long Can Apple Stay Fresh Once It Loses Its Core? <http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jan/11/apple-steve-jobs>
by Bobbie Johnson and Charles Arthur, The Guardian
Predicting Jobs's successor is almost impossible.

**** CEA Confirms Apple-Related Ehibits At CES 2010 <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10139861-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
The Consumer Electronics Association has confirmed plans to host a Mac-centric area at CES 2010, but Apple has still not commented on whether it plans to participate.
/Given that Apple has already pulled out of Macworld Expo 2010, it is an easy decision for CEA to start woo companies in the Mac/iPod/iPhone ecosystem, no matter whehter Apple itself expressed any interests at all./

**** Is There An Apple Community? <http://www.zacharybass.com/2009/01/is-there-an-apple-community.html>
by Zach Bass, Investor In THe Wilderness

**** One Apple I Love <http://www.nycresistor.com/2009/01/10/one-apple-i-love/>
by NYC Resistor
Lo and behold, that little crapy underpowered and truly ugly device actually somehow defied all odds and powered on.

**** The Search For The Next Steve Jobs <http://www.newsweek.com/id/178915>
by Daniel Lyons, Newsweek
Compare Jobs's recent recklessness to the way Microsoft managed the delicate hand-over of the cmpany from Bill Gates to Steve Ballmer.

**** Apple: Ten Things It Needs To Do In 2009 <http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/mac/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=212701524&subSection=News>
by Mitch Wagner, InformationWeek
Like the rest of the business world, Apple is embarking on treacherous times in 2009. But Apple faces special challenges: it sells boutique products that cost more than the competition.

**** First Look: Keynote '09 <http://www.macworld.com/article/138120/2009/01/keynote09_presentation.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Franklin N. Tessler, Macworld
After exploring the newly released Keynote '09 for the past few days, I've discovered several exciting new features as well as a few old shortcomings.

**** An Apple Genius Saved My Visit To Macworld Expo <http://blogs.oreilly.com/digitalmedia/2009/01/apple-genius-saved-my-expo.html>
by Jochen Wolters, O'Reilly Digital Media Blog
Not only did Zach manage to fix the core problem. He also showed me exactly what he was doing all along the way so I could add new trouble-shooting techniques to my virtual Mac Tool Belt and also share the process with you, valued reader.

**** A Software Populist Who Doesn't Do Windows <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/11/business/11ubuntu.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper>
by Ashlee Vance, New York Times
With Ubuntu, the devotees believe, things might finally be different.

**** Telling The Holocaust Like It Wasn't <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/11/movies/11heilbrunn.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper>
by Jacob Heilbrunn, New York Times
The further the Holocaust recedes into the past, the more it's being exploited to create a narrative of redemption.

**** At McDonald's, The Happiest Meal Is Hot Profits <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/11/business/11burger.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper>
by Andrew Martin, New York Times
It wasn't too long ago that McDonald's, vilified as making people fat, was written off as irrelevant. Now, six years into a rebound spawned by more appealing food and a less aggressive expansion, McDonald's seems to have won over some of its most hardened skeptics.

**** My Genome, My Self <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/11/magazine/11Genome-t.html?_r=1>
by Steven Pinker, New York Times
Like the early days of the internet, the dawn of personal genomics promises benefits and pitfalls that no one can foresee.

**** Police Arrest Suspect Over Attack On MP <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/401703/1/.html>
by Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia
The suspect who poured flammable liquid on Member of Parliament (MP) Seng Han Thong and set him on fire, has ben arrested by police. The man, a resident in Mr Seng's ward and whom the MP has been trying to help, has been in and out of the Institute of Mental Health.

**** MPs Must Be Accessible <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_324830.html>
by Jermyn Chow, Straits Times
While MPs can take precautions against mischief-makers, they must remain accessible to their residents and approachable, said prime minister Lee Hsien Loong, after visiting injured MP Seng Han Thong in hospital on Sunday.

**** MP Hurt After Man Reportedly Threw Kerosene-Filled Bottle <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/401647/1/.html>
by Asha Popatlal and Cheryl Lim, Channel NewsAsia
Member of Parliament Seng Han Thong has been taken to hospital after he was hurt in an incident at Yio Chu Kang Community Club on Sunday morning.

**** Chambermaid Vs Foreign Maid - Got Difference Meh? <http://kaffein-nated.blogspot.com/2009/01/chambermaid-vs-foreign-maid-got.html>
by Kaffein-nated
Being a maid is a shameful thing. But working as a chambermaid is not. /Huh?/

**** A Distrusting Government, Suspicious Of Its Employees And Its Customers <http://singaporecitizen.wordpress.com/2009/01/11/a-distrusting-government-suspicious-of-its-employees-and-its-customers/>
by Everyday's Life In A Snapshot
It's time the government stop treating Singaporeans as foreign enemies who are out to get them.

**** Few Changes Expected In Singapore's Political Status Quo In 2009 <http://wayangparty.com/2009/01/11/few-changes-expected-in-singapores-political-status-quo-in-2009/>
by Fang Zhi Yuan, The Wayang Party Club Of Singapore
A weak economy, coupled with a divided if not disoriented opposition and a timid, pragmatic and conservative electorate means that we can expect few headways made in Singapore's political status quo.

**** 'Don't Stop' Pedestrians <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/1/11/nation/2994389&sec=nation>
by The Star
People should be allowed to walk from the Immigration checkpoint at the CIQ complex to the Causeway and on to Woodlands in Singapore," said home minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar. "I will check the matter as there should be a route for pedestrians."

**** Wireless In Singapore... Not! <http://www.zdnetasia.com/blogs/msiaexplorer/0,3800011234,63008304,00.htm>
by Oon Yeoh, ZDNet Asia
All in all, I had wasted well over an hour trying to get onto the internet at Changi.
/The "free" wireless at sg is definitely not free. In fact, it is quite costly, in terms of the things you have to give up./

**** Government Retains The Same Old Climate Of Administrative Discretion With Regards To Political Films <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=1838>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net
The same tools of suppressing political dissent and curtailing free political discourse that existed before are still equally available for use by the government at its own discretion.

**** Has The PAP Internet Brigade Lost Its Teeth? <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=1827>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

**** Mission (Im)possible: State Regulation Of The Internet <http://mathialee.wordpress.com/2009/01/11/internet_state_regulation/>
by Mathia Lee
How do you criminalise films (or anything)? When they can be hosted overseas by people overseas.
How can you criminalise civil servants speaking up? When the internet offers wonderful identity cover, of when information could be passed on to people posting from overseas?