[MyAppleMenu] May 5, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon May 5 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** From Win32 To Cocoa: A Windows User's Conversion To Mac OS X - Part II <http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/microsoft-learn-from-apple-II.ars/>
by Peter Bright, Ars Technica
The confusion of UIs in Windows mirrors the confusion of development within Microsoft.

**** The Best Way To Enjoy An iTunes Movie Rental <http://terrywhite.com/techblog/?p=621>
by Terry White
When you rent a movie on your computer and "move" it to your iPhone or iPod you only need to be connected to the internet at the start of the transfer. Once it's on your iPhone or iPod you still have 30 days to start watching it.

**** Non-US Devs Now Being Accepted Into iPhone Developer Program <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/05/05/non-us-devs-now-being-accepted-into-iphone-developer-program>
by Justin Berka, Ars Technica

**** Apple's Steve Jobs: A Good Act To Copy <http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080505.WBwschachter20080505071339/WBStory/WBwschachter>
by Harvey Schachter, Globe And Mail

**** Switching From Linux To Mac <http://gregdetre.blogspot.com/2008/05/making-myself-at-home-on-mac.html>
by Greg Detre

**** Steve Jobs Stakes Out The TV Den <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/05/business/media/05carr.html>
by David Carr, New York Times
It will take some time. Many homes are still not ready to share digital files; download speeds are sporadic; and the DVD remains the format of choice.
But going forward, everything is up for grabs. And when it comes to a jump ball, best to put your money on Apple.

**** Publisher Tested The Waters Onlne, Then Dove In <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/05/business/media/05idg.html>
by Steve Lohr, New York Times
It may be a niche publisher, but the International Data Group has been working out the answers to some big mainstream questions. The biggest one: Can print media survive the transition to the internet?

**** Yahoo Must Now Decide On Google Outsourcing Deal <http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200805042003DOWJONESDJONLINE000401_FORTUNE5.htm>
by Dow Jones

**** A Step Back For Microsoft <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/05/technology/05soft.html?hp>
by Steve Lohr, New York Times

**** Will Microsoft Really Walk? <http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/03/will-microsoft-really-walk/index.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by New York Times

**** One Can Miss Mountains <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/05/12/080512po_poem_boss>
by Todd Boss, New Yorker

**** A Man Like Him <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2008/05/12/080512fi_fiction_li>
by Yiyun Li, New Yorker
The girl, unlike most people photographed for fashion magazines, was not beautiful. Moreover, she had no desire to appear beautiful, as anyone looking at her could tell, and for that reason Teacher Fei stopped turning the pages and studied her. She had short, unruly hair and wide-set eyes that glared at the camera in a closeup shot. In another photo, she stood in front of a bedroom door, her back to the camera, her hand pushing the door ajar. A bed and its pink sheet were artfully blurred. Her black T-shirt, in sharp focus, displayed a line of white printed characters: "My father is less of a creature than a pig or a dog because he is an adulterer."

**** A Man Of Taste <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/05/12/080512fa_fact_max>
by D. T. Max, New Yorker
A chef with cancer fights to save his tongue.

**** If Bloggers Are Not Influencers... <http://www.thebizwalk.com/marketing/if-bloggers-are-not-influencers/>
by The Biz Walk

**** Vote For Lee Kuan Yew The Thinker <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2008/05/vote-for-lee-kuan-yew-the-thinker.html>
by Blowin' In The Wind
Is Lee Kuan Yew one of the foremost thinkers of our time? He is among the top 100 public intellectuals listed by Foreign Policy magazine. It is asking people people to choose the world's five foremost thinkers.

**** Singaporeans Want More Consultation On Government Policies: Survey <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_234178.html>
by Ian Lim, Straits Times
Singaproeans want the government to take a more proactive and consultative approach to setting priorities and making decisions, and be accountable for public spending, according to a survey released on Monday.

**** Health Science Authority Questioning Integrity Of Singapore Media? <http://www.themediaslut.com/2008/05/1022>
by Presenting The(new)mediaslut!
I was wondering if Madam C. Suwarin, HSA deputy director, could share any evidence that these drug companies are "paying for editorial coverage in the newspapers, magazines or radio". Such sweeping statements, not only affect the integrity of the publication, but that of the journalist too.

**** Strapped For Life <http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2008/05/strapped-for-life.html>
by Singapore Life And Times

**** Subscribe To SingaporeSurf Today
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Do you know that you can subscribe to SingaporeSurf via this URL http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/rss.xml <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/rss.xml> in your favorite news aggregator such as Google Reader <http://www.google.com/reader/> and Bloglines <http://www.bloglines.com/>?

:-)

**** Re-Reading Joel Tan Via Archetypal Literary Theory <http://udders.blogspot.com/2008/05/re-reading-joel-tan-via-archetypal.html>
by I Have Succumbed To Peer Pressure
Assuming that the ST will never regain its credibility until an overhaul takes lace first at the level of the state, I think the onus is now on the Singaporean New Media to build up its credibility in terms of discussion and debate.

**** That 'Foreign Object' <http://melvintansg.blogspot.com/2008/05/that-foreign-object.html>
by Melvin Tan, A Sampan On Singapore Soil
Why a PAP MP couldn't fathom a Workers' Party statement.

**** Who Will Tell The People? <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/04/opinion/04friedman.html?ref=opinion>
by Thomas L. Friedman, New York Times
How could this be? We are a great power. How could we be borrowing money from Singapore?

**** Labour Day Round Up: Who Did What, Who Said What <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=188>
by Sgpolitics.net

**** Freedom From An Oppressive Government <http://www.bakrimusa.com/archives/freedom-from-an-oppressive-government>
by M. Bakri Musa
Oppression is still oppression no matter ow seemingly sophisticated the guises and excuses. Singapore effectively controls its citizens through inane and intrusive rules as well as punitive laws like its libel statutes. South Korea's General Park justified his on the pretext of economic efficiency and national security. It worked only temporarily in South Korea; it will be the same with Singapore. Sooner or later citizens' yearning for freedom will emerge. Once the flame of freedom is lighted, it can be doused only temporarily.

**** Asian Nations Agree To Set Up Crisis Fund <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hcecqtqYHXL0KY9rAPDXtHoFuWnA>
by AFP
Finance mnisters of 13 Asian nations agreed on Sunday to set up a foreign exchange pool of at least 80 billion dollars to be used in the event of another regional financial crisis. China, Japan and South Korea will provide 80 percet of the funds, with the rest coming from the 10 members of ASEAN.

**** It's Hardly PC, But It Works A Treat In Singapore <http://www.nzherald.co.nz/feature/story.cfm?c_id=1501241&objectid=10507540>
by Rob McKay, New Zealand Herald
Singapore is full of novel ideas that make the city so safe and prosperous. The place is run like an efficient organisation. Why? Because Singapore has an over-riding policy of "zero tolerance for poor performance and bad behaviour".

**** Kiwi Film-Makers Seek More Collaboration With Singapore <http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/story.cfm?c_id=200&objectid=10507917>
by Lincoln Tan, New Zealand Herald

**** Singapore's Lee Says Southeast Asia Will Be Like European Union <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601081&sid=apV1lMKX21yY&refer=australia>
by Douglas Wong and Haslinda Amin, Bloomberg
Lee Kuan Yew, the founding father of Singapore, predicted that the Association of Southeast Asian Nations eventually will allow people and money to move freely within the region like the European Union.

**** Are Costs The Only Concern? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/251981.asp>
by Lai Yew Chan, Today
It must remain our long-term goal to empower Singaporeans with the comparative advantage when seeking a service job, or any job for that matter.

**** A Loaf Of Bread A Day To Feed 4 <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/252006.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today

**** Cyber Bender <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/251967.asp>
by Ng Jing Yng, Today
Gaming cafes register as clubs to get around rules restricting entry for young patrons.
/And this is different from students skipping school to go to the nearby long kang to catch fish, how?/

**** Why My $600 'Windfall' Is Not Really Free <http://tnp.sg/columnists/story/0,4136,163931,00.html?>
by SM Ong, New Paper
$200 is supposed to help me cope with the 2 per cent GST increase in July last year. Now, a mere 10 months later, we seem to need mor than a GST Offset Package.