[MyAppleMenu] May 4, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun May 4 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** About That "Apple Is Selling Its Pro Apps" Rumor <http://www.thomas-fitzgerald.net/2008/05/04/about-that-%E2%80%9Capple-is-selling-its-pro-apps%E2%80%9D-rumor/>
by Thomas Fitzgerald

**** The Air Really Is Thinner Here <http://blogs.smh.com.au/mashup/archives/018078.html>
by Simon Tsang, Sydney Morning Herald
All the criticisms remain and,sure, it would have made more economical sense to buy the regular MacBook (which has more for less) but the Air is just something else altogether when you use it. Comparing price and specification charts simply doesn't do it justice.
/I wonder how many of these "price and specification charts" have items like thinness and joyfulness./

**** AT&amp;T Disables Free iPhone Wi-Fi (For Now) <http://www.macrumors.com/2008/05/03/atandt-disables-free-iphone-wi-fi-for-now/>
by Arnold Kim, MacRumors.com

**** XP On An iPhone
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Good news, folks. Microsoft has signed up for the iPhone SDK, and will be porting Windows XP <http://forums.mactalk.com.au/47/48806-iphone-graphic-9-news-totally-wrong.html> onto everyone's favorite smart phone.
On second thought... never mind.

**** 5 (More) Areas Where Apple's iPhone Falls Short; Readers Weigh In <http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/05/5_more_areas_wh.html>
by Alexander Wolfe, InformationWeek

**** Microsoft Says Proxy Battle Not Worth It <http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9935100-56.html>
by Ina Fried, CNET News.com
Microsoft officially pulled its offer for Yahoo on Saturday. Steve Ballmer said in a statement that Microsoft would pursue its own strategy. "After careful consideration, we believe the economics demanded by Yahoo do not make sense for us, and it is in the best interests of Microsoft stockholders, employees and other stakeholders to withdraw our proposal."

**** Intel: "Web 2.0"-Style Cloud Computing Just A Passing Vapor <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080503-intel-web-2-0-style-cloud-computing-just-a-passing-vapor.html>
by Jon Stokes, Ars Technica

**** Internet Law Prof Spells Doomsday For Web Innovation <http://mashable.com/2008/05/03/zittrain-talks-web-innovation/>
by Paul Glazowski, Mashable
I will agree very much with any statement that pegs some technology giants of the world as uncompetitive, to varying degrees. Several much more so than others. But looking at the progress made within, say, the past 5-10 years among internet developments, new and old, there's little evidence, if any, that innovation hasn't been delivered in abundance, even with closed systems playing champions in various markets.

**** What I Can Tell You About Seattle Based On The People I've Met Who Are From There <http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=567821&ft>
by Tao Lin, The Stranger
(I live in Brooklyn.)

**** The Secret Life Of Words: How English Became English, By Henry Hitchings <http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/the-secret-life-of-words-how-english-became-english-by-henry-hitchings-819228.html>
by John Morrish, The Independent
The history of the English language is the history of our place in the world.

**** Chee Soon Juan And Other Illegal Hawkers <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2008/05/chee-soon-juan-and-various-other.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
It seems that the police authorities want the NEA to take on an additional role - deal with opposition politicians who cannot be prosecuted for unlawful assembly or illegal outdoor demonstrations.

**** Guilty Until Proven Innocent: The Case Of William Ding <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2008/yax-874.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
At least Ding was vindicated on appeal. But it has been a long-drawn and expensive trial for him. He has to pay his own legal costs; the state is not going to compensate him for the homophobic panic of its officers.
This is another example of how the state wrongs its own citizens through a homophobic climate in the very corridors of power.

**** Three Questions <http://kwayteowman.blogspot.com/2008/05/three-questions.html>
by he Kway Teow Man

**** NTUC Fairprice Profitability And The Limits Of Corporate Social Responsibility <http://www.singaporeangle.com/2008/05/ntuc_fairprice_profitability_a.html>
by Singapore Angle

**** Free Meals Salvation For Poor In Wealthy Singapore <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gn3TzAFycEuhznB1K_9Nqs_3rQCg>
by AFP
Singapore may be one of Asia's wealthiest nations but soaring food prices have hit its poor hard, as can be seen by the queues at the Singapore Buddhist Lodge, which serves daily free vegetarian meals.
With inflation at a 26-year high, charities say more people are joining queues for free meals.

**** Little Greens <http://faizis.com/blog/?p=589>
by Faizis

**** What Stories Will You Tell? <http://www.insanepoly.com/blog/?p=516>
by Insane Polygons
There was a time when our leaders was truly worthy of emulation and admiration.
These days in return for a couple of million dollars, all we get are a bunch of middle managers with delusions of grandeur and a diminised sense of responsibility. Who when push comes to shove would have the lapdog media do the dirty work for them rather than own up to their mistkes and shortcomings.

**** Social Media In Singapore - My Ideal Model <http://www.thebizwalk.com/marketing/social-media-in-singapore-my-ideal-model/>
by The Biz Walk

**** Chinese And Vietnamese Turn To Hawking Bootleg Cigarettes <http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/203062,chinese-and-vietnamese-turn-to-hawking-bootleg-cigarettes.html>
by DPA
Peddlers from China and Vietnam are hawking bootleg cigarettes openly in Singapore and even stopping cars to sell their stash, /The Sunday Times/ said. The cigarettes are smuggled in on board cargo ships which dock at Jurong Port.

**** A Magical Little Film From Singapore <http://www.star-ecentral.com/news/story.asp?file=/2008/5/4/movies/21089798&sec=movies>
by Tara Tan, The Star
It is a tiny film from a tiny island. But it has made the big time. Singapore film /My Magic/ is competing with the world's biggest names in film-making for the prestigious Palme d'Or (Golden Palm), the highest accolade at the coming Cannes Film Festival.
Days after the news, director Eric Khoo was still pinching himself.

**** Stop The Press <http://hochoonhiong.blogspot.com/2008/05/stop-press.html>
by Ho Choon Hiong, Bishan Busy Body

**** No Junk Food In School Canteen? We'll Buy From Minimart Next Door <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_233803.html>
by Shuli Sudderuddin and Samantha Eng, Straits Times
Experts say outright ban may have effect of making unhealthy food more desirable to pupils.

**** Typically Singapore? <http://queerrant.blogspot.com/2008/04/typically-singapore.html>
by Queer Rant
Despite being a developed country and having one of the highest concentration of queers in the region, are the people so this closed minded about things like this?

**** Singapore Buggery <http://chaomugger.wordpress.com/2008/05/03/singapore-sexual-citizenry/>
by Bright Lights

**** How Good Leaders Manage Failure <http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-good-leaders-manage-failure.html>
by Gerald Giam, Singapore Patriot
When some amoeba civil servant comes up with a great idea, the government mouthpieces boast that "minister Cin Tua Liap /mooted/ the idea". But if a disgraceful prison break occurs, the blame is contained within the detention centre and no higher.

**** Dogma <http://www.dailybacktrack.com/index.php?/archives/692-Dogma.html>
by Joel Tan, Daily Backtrack
The government has to learn that the sentiment of 377A is not politically expedient anymore, that it is one part of the caustic erosion of the wall between the state and those who wish to exert their dogma on it.

**** Why Are Straits Times Reporters Better At FInding Criminals Than The Singapore Police? <http://urbanrant.blogspot.com/2008/05/why-are-straits-times-reporters-better.html>
by Urbanrant
So what do I expect from our police? Not much, but they are pretty good at showing up whenever Chee Soon Juan turns up.