[MyAppleMenu] May 2, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri May 2 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Apple, And The Death Of DVDs <http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/digitalcontent/2008/05/apple_and_the_death_of_dvds.html>
by Jemima Kiss, Guardian

**** Apple Updates Windows iPod Reset Tool <http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=21197>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

**** AppMenuBoy 1.0.0 <http://www.macworld.com/article/133258/2008/05/appmenuboy.html>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** Studios Selling Movie Downloads And DVDs At The Same TIme <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/01/studios-selling-movie-downloads-and-dvds-at-the-same-time/index.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Saul Hansell, New York Times

**** Now We Know Why Apple Rejected Flash <http://mikecane2008.wordpress.com/2008/05/01/now-we-know-why-apple-rejected-flash/>
by Mike Cane
I can envision Steve Jobs himself telling Adobe: /You need us/, we're doing just fine without you. If you want Flash on the iPhone, /we want it for free/.
Faced with that, remembering what happened with TrueType, Adobe had no choice but to make a daring move.

**** Apple Keyboard <http://www.atpm.com/14.05/apple-keyboard.shtml>
by Christopher Turner, ATPM
I like the reclaimed desktop space due to its smaller size, and the fact that my finger don't have to work as hard as before.

**** Apple's Hard PUsh Of Safari Hits Firefox Market Share <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1792>
by Adrian Kingsley-Hughes, ZDNet.com

**** Apple iMac (24-Inch Penryn) <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2290421,00.asp>
by Joel Santo Domingo, PC Magazine
Even though there are a slew of new competitors to the iMac, none of them have quite enoug innovation or execution to dethrone the king of the all-in-one desktops.

**** FIrst Look: 1Password, Password Manager <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/05/01/first.look.1password/>
by MacNN

**** The Mac In The Gray Flannel Suit <http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_19/b4083036428429.htm>
by Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek
More office workers infatuated with iPods and iPhones are demanding Macs. Is business ready? Is Apple?

**** Data Centers Are Becoming Big Polluters, Study Finds <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/01/data-centers-are-becoming-big-polluters-study-finds/index.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Steve Lohr, New York Times
The world's data centers are projected to surpass the airline industry as a greenhouse gas polluter by 2020, according to a new study by McKinsey &amp; Co.

**** The World Of The Senses <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/04/28/080428po_poem_wright>
by Franz Wright, New Yorker

**** Bullfighting <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2008/04/28/080428fi_fiction_doyle>
by Roddy Doyle, New Yorker

**** You Are Not Your Bookcase <http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2008/05/02/megan_hustad/index.html>
by Megan Hustad, Salon
Online profiles are painfully constructed "faves lists" have turned us into a bunch of unwitting snobs. Enough already.

**** Who Needs Trendy? <http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-050208-story,0,7456100.story?track=rss>
by Charles Perry, Los Angeles Times
One day, people will look through our cookbooks and wonder what sun-dried tomatoes, carpaccio and tiramisu were. Just like us, they'll have to try the antique recipes out&mdash;no doubt reluctantly; the names will be as puzzling and frumpy-sounding to them as viaunde despyne is to us&mdash;before they'll finally be able to decide whether these 20th-century foods were as boring or bizarre as they'll sound.

**** SDP's May Day Message <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/05/02/sdps-may-day-mesage/>
by Gandhi Ambalam, Singapore Democratic Party, theonlinecitizen
Our workers became victims of big business, including govenment and Temasek-linked companies.

**** CASE Survey Lists Cheapest Supermarkets, 160 Budget Items <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/345181/1/.html>
by Lynda Hong, Channel NewsAsia

**** Response To Mr Seng Han Thong <http://yawshinleong.blogspot.com/2008/05/response-to-mr-seng-han-thong.html>
by Yaw Shin Leong, The Workers' Party
For the record, the staff of HGTC are all Singaporeans. However WP recognizes the contribution of foreign workers and is not against their employment. FOr instance, HGTC does not object to its contractors deploying foreign workers in the estate.
The issue here is not of foreign workers' employment per se but rather how the Singapore government ahd the labour union will ensure that the dignity and societal position of Singaporeans workers are not compromised in view of globalization and labour mobility.

**** Free On-The-Go Wireless Access For StarHub Broadband Users <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_233289.html>
by Alfred Siew, Straits Times
Starhub raised the bar on Friday on internet deals by giving its home broadband subscribers free wireless access on the go as well.

**** Singapore's PM Lee Misses The News <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2008/05/singapores-pm-lee-misses-the-news.html>
by Blowin' In The Wind
I know the Straits Times means well and didn't want to spoil the holiday mood, but does it have to look only on the bright side? It's a newspaper after all, not a get-well card!

**** You Lost That Loving Feelin' <http://nextstopwonderland.wordpress.com/2008/05/02/you-lost-that-loving-feelin/>
by Daniel's Adventures In Adultland
Singapore might not be the most complicated country in the world but it's certainly not the land of simpletons New York Times like to believe it is.

**** Singapore And Me <http://faithstransientlife.blogspot.com/2008/05/singapore-and-me.html>
by Faith's Transient Life

**** Singapore Affirmed At 'AAA' On Enduring Fiscal, External Strength - S&amp;P <http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/1483469/>
by THomson Financial
Standard &amp; Poor's Ratings Services affirmed its 'AAA/A-1+' sovereign credit ratings on the Republic of Singaore, to reflect its enduring fiscal and external strengths and competitive economy, while factoring in the challenges it faces as a small open economy.

**** Rice, Rice Everywhere <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/05/02/farquhar-5/>
by theonlinecitizen
Without a more progressive agenda to alleviate inequality, lower-income groups are likely to languish despite Singapore's continued growth.

**** Is Social Media Really Struggling In Singapore? I Don't Think So. <http://ian.onthereddot.com/2008/05/02/is-social-media-really-struggling-in-singapore-i-dont-think-so/>
by Ian On The Red Dot

**** Why So Serious? <http://aidilomar.com/2008/05/02/why-so-serious/>
by Aidil Omar, Sheep City

**** M1 Broadband And Blur Images <http://sgfrag.net/?p=3522>
by SGFRAC

**** Social Media In Singapore - Sizzle Or Fizzle? <http://coolinsights.blogspot.com/2008/05/social-media-in-singapore-sizzle-or.html>
by Walter Lim, Cooler Insights

**** Bloggers Heat Up Food Content Market In Singapore <http://www.themediaslut.com/2008/05/1019>
by Presenting The(new)mediaslut!

**** Strengthening Ties With Southeast Asia <http://theboard.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/01/strengthening-ties-with-southeast-asia/>
by New York Times
It's a welcome sign that Washington is committed to playing a sustained and constructive role in a vital and cmpetitive region where China is determinedly cultivating a growing influence.

**** NSP Hands Out Groceries To Low-Income Families <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/251554.asp>
by Zul Othman, Today
Nearly $2,000 worth of groceries were given away to about 780 one- and two-room homes during the three-hour exercise, which was co-organised with charity group Red Star Community Service.

**** Union Leader Challenges Workers' Party To Hire Only Singaporeans <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/251569.asp>
by Lin Yanqin, Today
Yesterday, Mr Seng Han Thong, National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) assistant secretary-general, challenged the WP to set an example on the issue of foreign workers.
"According to their statements, I propose that they start with their Hougang Town Council by ensuring that all their workers and employees are Singaporeans only. That's the best way to start."
/Sure, why not. In fact, Hougang Town Council should even go one step further: hire Hougang residents first./

**** Singaporeans Now Highly Dependent On Foreigners! <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2008/05/singaporeans-now-highly-dependent-of.html>
by Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

**** 'Asian Values'? In East Or West, People Want More Media Freedom <http://journalism.sg/2008/05/02/asian-values-in-east-or-west-people-want-more-media-freedom/>
by Journalism.sg