[MyAppleMenu] May 1, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu May 1 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Adobe Finally Takes On Apple, Google In Mobile <http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/5/adobe_finally_takes_on_apple_google_in_mobile>
by Hank WIlliams, Silicon Alley Insider

**** Apple Seeking NYC Office Space <http://www.macworld.co.uk/business/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=21181>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

**** Safari For Windows Market Share Triples Following SW Update Push <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/05/01/safari_for_windows_market_share_triples_following_sw_update_push.html>
by AppleInsider
Apple saw its share of the Windows browser market triple immediately after it began encouraging users of the Microsoft operating system to download and install its Safari web browser through the widely deployed Apple Software Update mechanism, according to a new report.

**** Why I Switched To A Mac After 20 Years Of Windows PC <http://gregorywilson.wordpress.com/2008/04/30/why-i-switched-to-a-mac-after-20-years-of-windows/>
by Greg Wilson

**** Scaring Intel? <http://pressurereleasevalve.blogspot.com/2008/04/scaring-intel.html>
by Hoovenson Haw, Pressure Release Valve

**** The iPhone: Apple's Magic Wand <http://www.forbes.com/2008/04/30/apple-iphone-3g-tech-wire-cx_bc_0501apple.html>
by Brian Caulfield and Elizabeth Woyke, Forbes
Apple is knitting together a broad coalition of companies around a vision of computing that goes far beyond today's hot-selling iPhone and toward a future that combines wireless broadband and touch-sensitive interfaces with built-in motion sensors.

**** Mozy Launches Online Backup Tool For Apple Macs <http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=hardware&articleId=9081360&taxonomyId=12&intsrc=kc_top>
by Brian Fonseca, Computerworld

**** Apple's iTunes To Sell Movies Same Day As DVD Release <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/05/01/itunes.movie.deal.coming/>
by MacNN

**** Apple Committed To Final Cut <http://www.macworld.co.uk/procreative/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=21188>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Apple has moved to dismiss rumours that it plans to abandon its video products.

**** OmniFocus Willing, But Not Quite Ready, To Help You Get Things Done <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9594>
by Matt Neuburg, TidBITS

**** ScreenFlow: Screencasting On Steroids <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9593>
by Matt Neuburg, TidBITS
ScreenFlow is a stunning, clean, clear, beautifully designed application.

**** Extended II <http://earthlingsoft.net/ssp/blog/2008/04/extended_2>
by Sven-S. Prost, Quarter Life Crisis
It dragged me down again to think that companies like Apple &mdash; and aparently pretty much most other people making keyboards as well &mdash; have given up even trying to make a good keyboard.

**** Microsoft Helps Law Enforcement Get Around Encryption <http://www.nytimes.com/idg/IDG_852573C4006938808825743900804723.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Nancy Gohring, IDG News Service

**** Architecture Astronauts Take Over <http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2008/05/01.html>
by Joel Spolsky, Joel On Software
It's Groove, rewritten from scratch, one more time. Ray Ozzie just can't stop rewriting this damn app, again and again and again, and taking 5-7 years each time.

**** It's Funny How Funny Just The Facts Can Be <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/29/AR2008042902827.html?hpid=features1&hpv=local>
by Paul Farhi, Washington Post
Adam Chodikoff, 37, doesn't perform on the Daily Show or write the gags that pepper Stewart's take on the day's news. But as the show's chief researcher and video wiz, he's the vitl link in the program's comedic ecosystem.

**** SDP Marks May Day By Distributing Flyers In Toa Payoh <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/344996/1/.html>
by Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia
The opposition Singapore Democratic Party marked May Day by distributing flyers and getting SIngaporeans to sign two petitions.

**** Foreigners Do Not Take Jobs Away From Locals: PM <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_232960.html>
by Sue-Ann Chia, Straits Times
/Lee Hisen Loong, and his party, has missed the problem, in my opinion. In this particular case of the coffee shop, the local worker cannot even earn a decent living with one job: rather, she has to do two jobs to get a decent living wage. What happens to a decent day of work for a decent day of wage?/

**** Why Social Media Struggles In Singapore <http://uniquefrequency.wordpress.com/2008/05/01/why-social-media-struggles-in-singapore/>
by Unique-Frequency

**** Cleanest City In The World <http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/367205.aspx>
by George Thomas, CBN News
Singapore is one of the cleanest places in the world &mdash; where you can be fined or arrested just for spitting, littering or selling chewing gum. As CBN News discovered, Singaporeans don't mind the strict laws one bit.

**** Tough Times Call For Flexi Wages <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/251414.asp>
by Today
Both workers and employers have to take into account the uncertain economic outlook when negotiating their wages this year, said prime minister Lee Hsien Loong in his May Day Message yesterday.

**** May Day <http://perrytong.blogspot.com/2008/05/may-day.html>
by A Singaporean

**** Filmmaker Submits Six Videos Featuring Political Protests <http://singaporerebel.blogspot.com/2008/05/filmmaker-submits-six-videos-featuring.html>
by Martyn See, No Political Films Please, We're Singaporeans
Six video documenting a recent spate of public protests in Singapore were submitted to the Board of Film Censors yesterday by filmmaker Ho Choon Hiong.

**** Questions About The Reserves <http://kwayteowman.blogspot.com/2008/05/questions-about-reserves.html>
by The Kway Teow Man
Just look across the causeway and see what happens when you subsidize necessities.
/And take a look down south too./

**** Government Babymakers <http://www.sushituesday.com/home/2008/4/30/government-babymakers.html>
by Tim Hooker, Sushi Tuesday

**** Workers' Party Says Singapore Workers Disadvantaged <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/344869/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

**** Mas Selamat's 2001 Escape, 17 Tonnes And Preaching To The Converted <http://www.singaporeangle.com/2008/04/contextualizing_the_mas_selama.html>
by Singapore Angle

**** ST In The Flesh! <http://www.dailybacktrack.com/index.php?/archives/691-ST-in-the-flesh!.html>
by Joel Tan, Daily Backtrack
The two journos sought to clarify the 'myth' surrounding the ST as a sycophantic mouthpiece of the government. Though their largely sterile, uninformative and sometimes condescending waffling, I think they merely reinforced it, and also explained the paper's institutional arrogance - it is staffed by many highly-educated, bright young minds, the type of minds, as we know, most likely to be impatient and adverse to the swarm of middle-class sensibility.

**** Freedom House Press Freedom Report On Singapore <http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2008/05/freedom-house-press-freedom-report-on.html>
by Gerald Giam, SIngapore Patriot

**** Mas Selamat Has Completely Disappeared!!!! <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2008/04/mas-selamat-has-completely-disappeared.html>
by Diary Of A Singaporean Mind
Mas Selamat has decided to move on from our newspapers...