[MyAppleMenu] Jan 28, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jan 28 13:15:01 EST 2008

**** Restoring From Time Machine <http://duncandavidson.com/blog/restoring_from_time_machine/>
by James Duncan Davidson
In short, Time Machine passed the "Trust, but Verify" challenge with flying colors.

**** iPhone 1.1.3 Update Raises Text-Messaging Bug <http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/01/iphone_113_upda.html>
by Alexander Wolfe, InformationWeek
The latest iPhone firmware update, pushed out by Apple in mid-January, is raising a raft of bug reports on Apple's own iPhone forums, with dozens of posters complaining that it messes up SMS conversations, causing them to appear out of order.

**** Thanks Gutenberg - But We're Too Pressed For Time To Read <http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jan/27/internet.pressandpublishing>
by John Naughton, The Guardian
The study confirms what many are beginning to suspect: that the web is having a profound impact on how we conceptualise, seek, evaluate and use information.

**** That Looks Like Fun <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2008/01/27/that_looks_like_fun/>
by Joanna Weiss, Boston Globe
Wham-O's Richard Knerr brought America the Hula Hoop, the Frisbee, the Superball - and viral marketing.

**** Death's Army <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/books/review/Ward-t.html?_r=1&ref=books&oref=slogin>
by Geoffrey C. Ward, New York Times
Americans had never endured anything like the losses they suffered between 1861 and 1865 and have experienced nothing like them since. The lasting but little-understood impact of all that sacrifice is the subject of Drew Gilpin Faust's extraordinary new book, "This Republic of Suffering: Dath and the American Civil War."

**** Real Naked Ladies <http://www.newyorker.com/talk/2008/02/04/080204ta_talk_collins>
by Lauren Collins, New Yorker
How do you get a bunch of normal chicks to strip and say cheese, assuming you're not a Mardi Gras regular or a Seven Sisters posture photographer? That was the dilemma facing Margot Roth, a first-time filmmaker, as she attempted to recruit participants for a documentary about naked women.

**** The Future <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/02/04/080204po_poem_collins>
by Billy Collins, New Yorker

**** Why No Seat? <http://hardhitting-nobs.blogspot.com/2008/01/why-no-seat.html>
by Hard Hitting In The Lion City
If you are going to spend $16 billion of Singpaore's money, why can't you get a seat on the board?

**** Successful! Fruitful! Emotional? <http://sunnynun.blogspot.com/2008/01/sucessful-fruitful-emotional.html>
by Simple Girl, Simple Life
The best thing of this Choir is that there are no audition!

**** Why Complain? <http://e-wheel.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.html#3705385869379535069>
by e Wheel Of Life

**** Add One More Lyric: Complaints Choir Cannot Sing <http://wp.jiinjoo.com/?p=250>
by Ong Jiin Joo

**** The End. Maybe Not. <http://ladylian.wordpress.com/2008/01/27/the-end-maybe-not/>
by Baloney And Balls
It was a good journey, one that I would always remember.

**** Complaints Choir Of Singapore (Video And Lyrics) <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2008/01/complaints-choi.html>
by mrbrown

**** Singapore GIC Says Turned Down UBS Board Seat Offer <http://www.reuters.com/article/etfNews/idUSSIN9630520080128>
by Reuters
The Government of Singapore Investment Corp (GIC) turned down an offer of a seat on the board of UBS AG to assuage concerns the city-state might take control of the Swiss bank, local media rported on Monday, quoting GIC deputy chairman Tony Tan.

**** Win-Win As KL-Singapore Air Route Opens Up <http://www.theage.com.au/news/news/jetstar-tiger-winners-as-klsingapore-route-opens-up/2008/01/28/1201368996076.html>
by The Age
Travellers, budget carriers and long-established airlines will all be winners when the Singapore-Kuala Lumpr air route opens to competition on Friday, analysts and industry players said.

**** Singapore Fund Promises Greater Transparency <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/115ce620-cd2b-11dc-9b2b-000077b07658,s01=1.html>
by Peter Thal Larsen and Martin Dickson, Financial Times
Singapore's Government Investment Corporation has promised greater disclosure about its activities, amid mounting concerns about the secretive fund's influence after high-profile ivnestments in UBS and Citigroup.
Tony Tan, deputy chairman of GIC and a former Singapore deputy prime minister, said the fund planned to become more transparent as part of a broader effort by sovereign wealth funds to agree a set of common standards. However, Mr Tan would not be drawn on what areas of disclosure GIC would improve, arguing that this was a decision for the Singaporean government.
See Also:<br/>Sovereign Wealth <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0d1f6b68-cd27-11dc-9b2b-000077b07658.html>, by Financial Times. The International Monetary Fund has already asked Singapore, Norway and Abu Dhabi to take the lead in drawing up disclosure benchmarks for sovereign wealth funds. But it is obviously fair for the latter to ask, in retunr, for greater clarity from potential recipients.

**** Singapore's Friend <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_200851.html>
by Paul Jacob and Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times
Close ties during Suharto years helped the republic to prosper.
See Also:
Hero Or Villian? <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_200841.html>, by Devi Asmarani, Straits Times. Suharto lauded for economic growth; rapped for lack of human rights.

**** More, More On Singapore! <http://feuerthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/01/more-more-on-singapore.html>
by Steven Feuerstein, FeuerThoughts
Overall I got the sense that the government of Singapore offered a very interesting "deal" to its citizens: behave and follow the rules, and we will give you very little to complain about.

**** Privacy For Ah Kong, Privacy For Ah Kow <http://www.singaporeangle.com/2008/01/privacy_for_ah_kong_privacy_fo.html>
by Singapore Angle
And since our leaders understand the importance of privacy to Ah Kong Companies (GIC/Temasek), I hope that they will also understand why us Tan Ah Kows also value our privacy and that there will be speedier progress on legislating a Data Protection Act.

**** Police: Foreigners Not Allowed To Complain <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/01/28/police-foreigners-not-allowed-to-complain/>
by Joel Tan, theonlinecitizen

**** Airport Disruption A 'Tactical' Decision <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/234619.asp>
by Nazry Bahrawi, Today
"These are tactical decision, which have to be made... with the safest and most sensible way to ensur ethat the civilian population and air traffic in Singapore are taken care of," defence minister Teo Chee Hean said.

**** Make Cycling Viable Alternative To Public And Private Transport <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_200077.html>
by Gunasegaran Suppiah, Straits Times
The network of bike lanes available for Singaporeans is pathetic. And that is putting it mildly. Also the level of consideration shown by motorists to cyclists is minimal at best.