[MyAppleMenu] Jan 27, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jan 27 13:15:00 EST 2008

**** 'Casual' Leaves Respect Hanging <http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/business/columnists/markowitz/s_549327.html>
by Jack Markowitz, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
What oohs and ahs the other day when Apple Inc. chairman Steve Jobs introduced a new computer thin as a pizza. But there would have been more oohs and ahs if he'd come on stage in a suit and tie.
/I just want to say that: when I eat a pizza, I do want a pizza that is thicker than the MacBook Air. :-)/

**** On The Deisgn Of The First-Run Assistant <http://inessential.com/?comments=1&postid=3468>
by Brent Smmons, Inessential.com
I'm not holding it up as a work of art or even an exmaple of best practices&mdash;it's just some notes from a practitioner.

**** Who Said Romance Was Dead? <http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/generalfiction/story/0,,2247435,00.html>
by Francesca Segal, Guardian
In the time it takes you to read this page, Britons will have bought 100 novels by Mills &amp; Boon, now in its centnary year.

**** For Strikers, The Agony Of Spare Time <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/arts/television/27ryzi.html?ref=arts>
by Melena Ryzik, New York Times
For union film and television writers, life without employment is starting to exact its toll.

**** The Age Of Ambition <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/opinion/27kristof.html?ref=opinion>
by Nicholas D. Kristof, New York Times
Today the most remarkable young people are the social entrepreneurs, those who see a problem in society and roll up their sleeves to address it in new ways.

**** Rethinking The Meat-Guzzler <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/weekinreview/27bittman.html?_r=1&ex=1359090000&en=aca6e14c9db7e79a&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin>
by Mark Bittman, New York Times
A sea change in the consumption of a resource that Americans take for granted may be in store &mdash; something cheap, plentiful, widely enjoyed and a part of daily life. And it isn't oil.
It's meat.

**** Singapore Saddened Over Suharto's Death <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_world.php?id=310630>
by Bernama

**** Dr Tony Tan Says Sovereign Wealth Funds Are Here To Stay <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/325282/1/.html>
by May Wong, Channel NewsAsia

**** TVD's Picks: Just Can't Get Enough (Of Transparency) <http://www.thevoiddeck.org/index.php?itemid=361>
by The Void Deck

**** Did Tharman Put An Egg On The Parliament's Face? <http://antineodem.wordpress.com/2008/01/27/raymond-lim-puts-an-egg-on-your-face/>
by The Anti Neo-Democracy Theorist
Is the PAP creating a bad precedent for parliamentary accountability? If the deal is so good, why hide the information from the people?

**** TOC Report: Bureacratic Muddle Leads To Canning Of International Fringe Festival Event <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/01/27/bureacratic-muddle-leads-to-canning-of-international-fringe-festival-event/>
by Choo Zheng Xi, theonlinecitizen
Almost a month of rehearsals went by without incident. It was only two or three days before the first performance date that a different government department started making life difficult for the choir.
The authorities' vacillation and hamfisted tactics have already been resentfully noted by members of the arts community, and have been most deeply felt by the members of the choir.

**** Singapore PM 'Transparency Isn't Everything' <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2008/01/27/ccsingapore127.xml>
by Mark Kleinman, Telegraph
The PM of Singapore is a staunch defender of its wealth funds &mdash; but does not want a free press.

**** Singapore Stops Foreigners From Singing Complaints <http://uk.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUKSIN6721820080126>
by Melanie Lee, Reuters
A choir that planned to sing a list of complaints about life in Singapore cancelled its performances after the city-state banned its foreign members from singing, organizers said on Saturday.
The 60-member "complaints choir", a concept that originated from two Finnish artists, was scheduled to perform at a weekend festival but authorities granted a performance license on the condition that the foreigners would not participate.