[MyAppleMenu] Jan 21, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jan 21 13:15:00 EST 2008

**** Lies, Damn Lies, And Steve Jobs Keynotes <http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/01/21/lies_damn_lies_and_steve_jobs_keynotes.html>
by Jack Schofield, Guardian
Someone must have figured out that you could make Apple look better by putting it at the front, by tilting the pie chart backwards, and possibly by moving Other. Job is famous for his attention to detail, so did he really not notice? Or did he say: "Hey, great idea?"

**** Thai AIS In Talks WIth Apple On iPhone Launch <http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080121/tc_nm/apple_ais_dc>
by Reuters

**** Coda: The One-Windows Wonder <http://shawnblanc.net/2008/coda-the-one-window-wonder/>
by Shawn Blanc
Coda is a text-editing, CSS-styling, WebKit previewing, file-managing, FTPing, terminal-accessing, web-site-building and publishing application for the Macintosh.
And, Coda has no duct tape.

**** iMovie 7.1.1 And Front Row 2.1.2 Released <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9410>
by Jeff Carlson, TidBITS

**** MacJournal 5.0 Available Now <http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=20200>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

**** Universal's Zucker Now Admires Apple <http://www.macworld.co.uk/business/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=20202>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Signs of a rapprochement between Apple and NBC Universal suggest some content from the studio may reappear on the iTunes television show schedules.

**** In Europe, Apple Faces Hurdles To iTunes Movie Rentals <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/21/technology/21video.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Eric Pfanner, New York Times
Apple will have to confront legal and regulatory hurdles, copyright challenges, scheduling conflicts and technological issues, reminders that the European media landscape remains a patchwork of individual countries, rather than the single market that the European Commission envisions.
/Simliarly for Asia, I expect censorship issues to be a major factor. However, I have this feeling that when Steve Jobs said going "global", he really didn't mean Asia./

**** Microsoft Entourage 2008: Superior Depth Of Features Bests Apple Competitor <http://www.macworld.com/article/131563/2008/01/entourage2008.html>
by Tom Negrino, Macworld
Entourage 2008 is an improved Excange citizen over previous versions, which will help Macs better fit into Windows-centric organizations. If you're outside of the corporate realm, and need a mail, calendar, and contact manager with lots of headroom and solid integration with the rest of the Office suite, Entourage provides a wealth of features that are deeper than Apple's trio.

**** Macworld.Ars: Best Indie Software <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/01/20/macworld-ars-best-indie-software>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica

**** The Wildcard In Public Bus Reforms <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/the-wildcard-in-public-bus-reforms.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
With centralised planning and higher frequency standards to meet, the bottomline of bus companies will definitely be affected. And, they will will definitely apply for fare increases to cover the shortfall. Will the cost of public transport increase as a result of these radical reforms?

**** Some Apple Customers Irate Over Time Capsule <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9058058>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Users who bought AirPort Extreme last year can't do wireless backups.

**** Expo Notes: It's Truly A Mac-"World" Expo <http://www.macworld.com/article/131716/2008/01/international.html>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
So to all of the non-USA folks_attendees and exhibitors_visiting the Expo this week, thanks for "coming over" to help reveal the breadth of the Mac's reach.

**** Mac OS X And The Missing Probes <http://blogs.sun.com/ahl/entry/mac_os_x_and_the>
by Adam Leventhal, Sun
Apple is explicitly preventing DTrace from examining or recording data for proceses which don't permit tracing.
/Nothing to look here, says iTunes. Just obey the DRM./

**** About That $20 Upgrade... <http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13509_1-9850999-20.html?tag=more>
by The Macalope, CNET News.com

**** Where There More Women At Macworld Expo? <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9409>
by Tonya Engst, TidBITS
While the wait to use one of the more popular bathrooms was sometimes annoying, it was wonderful to see so many women at the usually male-dominated Expo.

**** Macworld.Ars: West Hall Wasteland - Not <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/01/20/macworld-ars-west-hall-wastelandnot>
by Charles Jade, Ars Technica

**** Science Fiction <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/01/28/080128po_poem_murray>
by Les Murray, New Yorker

**** And He Shall Be Called... <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2008/01/20/and_he_shall_be_called/>
by Tom Scocca, Boston Globe
How do you name someone you hardly know?

**** Inconspicuous Consumption <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/16/AR2008011603129.html>
by Jeanne Marie Laskas, Washington Post
A modern shopper pulls herself up by her boot laces.

**** The Prayer Dilemma <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/20/CMBVT5KPU.DTL>
by Katherine Maxfield, San Francisco Chronicle
My religious philosophy has finally congealed: There is no personal or intergalactic God, and life, at least mine, is best lived by the Golden Rule, period. Richard Dawkins' book "The God Delusion" gathered my disjointed thoughts into the tidy statement. It's a relief to have it settled. Now what do I do about all the prayers?

**** You're Not A Poet, You Just Don't Know It <http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1501119/story.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10487705&ref=rss>
by Deborah Coddington, New Zealand Herald
Why do we fall about at the feet of poets whose work is just plain dull?

**** Children's Books: 'If Children Are To Become Readers For Life, They Must First Love Stories' <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2008/01/19/bokidsbooks119.xml>
by Michael Morpurgo, Telegraph
Of course we must and should study literature in our schools, but first we have to imbue our children with a love of stories.

**** Thumbs Race As Japan's Best Sellers Go Cellular <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/20/world/asia/20japan.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&th&emc=th>
by Norimitsu Onishi, New York Times
Until recently, cellphone novels &mdash; composed on phone keypads by young women wielding dexterous thumbs and ready by fans on their tiny screens &mdash; had been dismissed in Japan as a subgenre unworthy of the country that gave the world its first novel, "The Tale of Genji," a millennium ago. Then last month, the year-end best-seller tally showed that cellphone novels, republished in book form, have not only infiltrated the mainstream but have come to dominate it.

**** Contradiction By Tharman? <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/contradiction-by-tharman.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

**** Government To Take 'Hands Off' Approach On State Funds: Tharman <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_198453.html>
by Straits Times
The government will take a 'hands off' approach on investments made by its sovereign wealth funds in banks inlcuding Citigroup Inc, amid the subprime meltdown, finance minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam said in parliament on Monday.

**** MRT Services Between Pasir Ris And Tanah Merah Stations Resume <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/323882/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

**** Singapore Aims To Attract S$19b In Investments In 2008 <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_198437.html>
by Straits Times
The Economic Development Board (EDB), which released its investment report for 2007, said the outlook for Singapore for this year remains positive even as a worldwide economic slowdown is expected.
See Also:
EDB Reports An Outstanding Year Of Growth And Quality Investments In 2007 <http://www.edb.gov.sg/edb/sg/en_uk/index/news_room/news/2008/edb_reports_an_outstanding.html>, by Economic Development Board (EDB), Singapore Government.

**** The Modern Risks Of Information And Advice <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2008/01/modern-risks-of-information-and-advice.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
Students may never realise that their education is being shaped, not by considerations of what is good for them, but by considerations of what is good for their principal.

**** A Broken Train, A Father's Love <http://marlina-myself.blogspot.com/2008/01/broken-train-fathers-love.html>
by Marlina, Me, Myself And I
See Also:
This Is The Cause Of The MRT Disruption <http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/singaporeseen/viewContent.jsp?id=13186>, by Terence Low, STOMP.
MRT Train Service Disruption <http://www.smrt.com.sg/news/2008/press_release_%20train_service_delay_on_21_Jan08.pdf>, by SMRT Corporation Ltd. (PDF Document)

**** He Buys Car Because Of Cab Fare Hike <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,154031,00.html?>
by Elysa Chan, New Paper
Some commuters find cost of taking taxis and cost of owning small cars almost equal.

**** Give Commuters A Bigger Say <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/233264.asp>
by Lai Yew Chan, Today
Commuter needs could be met more effectively if they are allowed to participate in the decision-making process.

**** The 3Cs Of Transport <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/233287.asp>
by P N Balji, Today
Whacked down to its basics, the bus-as-king-of-the-road strategy announced on Friday can be boiled down to three Cs: Convenience, competition and the car.