[MyAppleMenu] Jan 19, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jan 19 13:15:01 EST 2008

**** Apple Experts: MacBook Air 'Like A Second Car' <http://www.crn.com/hardware/205901784>
by Kevin McLaughlin, CRN
The recently unveiled MacBook Air lacks durability and certain features that business users look for, but industry experts predict it'll sell like hotcakes within the market segment for which it appears to be intended.

**** Is Apple Losing Its Bite? <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2008/01/19/dlclaud119.xml>
by Matt Warman and Claudine Beaumont, Telegraph

**** Reader Questions: Can You Install XP Via Remote Disk On A MacBook Air? <http://www.tuaw.com/2008/01/18/reader-questions-can-you-install-xp-via-remote-disk-on-a-macboo/>
by Michael Rose, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
Apple repds would not say definitely that you can't do it, but as far as the three people I spoke with are aware, there's no support for booting XP over Remote Disk.

**** Apple Looking For New Chinese iPhone Partner <http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/jan2008/gb20080118_025613.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_global+business>
by TelecomAsia
China Unicom and aspiring mobile operator China Telecom are the leading contenders after China Mobile halted talks with Apple.

**** The Big Picture: Apple's Methodical Moves Show It Takes Time To Change The World <http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2008/pulpit_20080118_003967.html>
by Robert X. Cringely, PBS

**** NAMM: You're In Mac Country Now <http://www.macworld.com/article/131699/2008/01/namm.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
NAMM, the largest North American music show held this time every year in Anaheim, brings vendors from all over the world to show their products. From software instruments and amplifiers to guitars and digital audio workstations, you are sure to find it all at this show. One other prevealent thing you'll find at NAMM this year is Macs.

**** Macworld.Ars: The Death And Life Of Apple Gaming <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/01/18/macworld-ars-the-death-and-life-of-mac-gaming>
by Charles Jade, Ars Technica
The relationship between Apple and gaming is on the mend.

**** Explaining The Macintosh Surge <http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/18/explaining-the-macintosh-surge/>
by David Pogue, New York Times
What is going on?

**** Chess' Pride And Sorrow <http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-rutten19jan19,0,3985131.story?track=rss>
by Tim Rutten, Los Angeles Times
Bobby Fischer, who died a melancholy exile's death Friday at age 64, was that most perplexing of human characters &mdash; a protean genius and a repellent man. He was to American chess what Ezra Pound was to American poetry.

**** On Eloquence <http://chronicle.com/temp/reprint.php?id=nyhrj8jd59dvt47dtvdzjk3g6vqqnrv9>
by Denis Donoghue, Chronicle Of Higher Education
Eloquence is not the same as rhetoric. Eloquence isn't even a distant cousin of rhetoric &mdash; it comes from a different family and has different eyes, hair, and gait. Long thought to be a subset of rhetoric's devices, eloquence has declared its independence: It has no designs on readers or audiences. Its aim is pleasure; it thrives on freedom among the words. Unlike rhetoric, it has not sent any soldier to be killed in foreign countries.

**** What Is Southern? <http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/2000s/2008/01/whatissouthern_lewis>
by Edna Lewis, Gourmet
There is something about the South that stimulaes creativity in people.

**** Analyst Says Introducing Competition In Bus Industry Will Be A Challenge <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/323615/1/.html>
by Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia
Introducing competition into the bus industry may be challenging because the incumbents are established players.

**** Singapore May Dodge Recession In 2008 - Economists <http://www.guardian.co.uk/feedarticle?id=7236577>
by Koh Gui Qing, Reuters
Singapore's export-driven economy, which sharnk in the fourth quarter, will feel the impact of a slowdown in the United States but will just avoid recession, analysts said on Friday.

**** Means Testing Likely To Be Implemented Later Part Of This Year: Health Minister <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/323606/1/.html>
by Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia
Means testing will likely be implemented in the later part of this year, said health minister Khaw Boon Wan on Saturday. He also added that his ministry does not rule out tweaking MediShield coverage.

**** The Bully <http://singaporeindianvoice.blogspot.com/2008/01/bully.html>
by Singapore Indian Voice
This is not the first time Mr Lee Kuan Yew has bullied local reporters who show some semblance of independent thinking.

**** Your Results Suck! <http://stressed-teacher.blogspot.com/2008/01/your-results-suck.html>
by Stressed Teacher

**** A Load Of Crap From The Education Minister <http://lalaland9.wordpress.com/2008/01/18/a-load-of-crap-from-the-education-minister/>
by Looking For LaLaLand
I am just simply floored that a minister who is suppose to inspire has instead taken the low road of "pragmatism". And I thought the PM just recently spoke about a City Of Possibilities.

**** Education In Singpaore Needs To See Beyond KPIs <http://bleongcw.typepad.com/simple_is_the_reason_of_m/2008/01/education-in-si.html>
by Bernard Leong, Simple Is The Reason Of My Heart
If we start empowering our educators and offer them the venue to work and help students without putting too much emphasis on KPIs, the teachrs in our country might be able to inspire our students to achieve what we never imagine for the future of this country.

**** Singapore Culture Shock: Civility And Lack Thereof <http://diodati.omniscientx.com/2008/01/18/singapore-culture-shock-civility-and-lack-thereof/>
by Elia Diodati, E Pur Si Muove

**** StarHub To Gain From New Number Portability Rules <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_197843.html>
by Chua Hian Hou, Straits Times
StarHub will be the big winner when new rules come out later this year that will allow consumers to keep their old numbers when switching phone companies, says a leading analyst.

**** Principal's Tone TO Sec 5 Students Plainly Wrong <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_197872.html>
by Lawrenz Sim Chee Choon, Straits Times
Judging from the effect she had on the majority of the students, it is extremely difficult to believe that she 'meant well.'
See Also:
Individual Counselling Would Have Been Better <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_197871.html>, by Marissa Teo Ruishan, Straits Times.