[MyAppleMenu] Jan 14, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jan 14 13:15:01 EST 2008

**** Google Sees Surge In iPhone Traffic <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/14/technology/14apple.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin>
by Miguel Helft, New York Times

**** Macworld Expo Prelude <http://daringfireball.net/2008/01/macworld_expo_prelude>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
My gut feeling is that we're looking at a medium &mdash; spicy enough to be enjoyable, but not one for the ages.

**** After Apple's iPhone Mania, Macworld This Year Might Seem Sedate <http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_7962345>
by Troy Wolverton, San Jose Mercury News
After the excitement and drama of last year's Macworld, this year's event is likely to seem a bit sedate. But that's a good thing, say analysts and ivnestors.

**** The iPhone - Great At Home, Lousy Abroad <http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2008/01/the_iphone_great_at_home_lousy.html>
by Rory Cellan-Jones, BBC
Yes, I'd like a better camera, video capture, 3g, and one button to press to answer calls. But most of all I'd like a cheaper way of using my iPhone abroad.

**** New Get A Mac Ad: Time Machine <http://www.tuaw.com/2008/01/13/new-get-a-mac-ad-time-machine/>
by Scott McNulty, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** What's "In The Air" At Macworld? WiMax? Or Ultra-WideBand? <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2008/01/whats_in_the_ai.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_byteoftheapple>
by Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

**** The End Of Tech For Tech's Sake <http://adage.com/digital/article?article_id=123037>
by Matthew Creamer and Abbey Klaassen, Advertising Age

**** The Joy Of Nano <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7183085.stm>
by Finlo Rohrer, BBC News
We listen to our music on nanos, we style our hair with nanos, with the arrival of the Tata Nano people will even be driving nanos, but why are so many products called nano?

**** And Then There Was One <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/08/AR2008010803472.html>
by Monte Reel, Washington Post
Discovery of a lone survivor of an unknown Indian tribe in Brazil set off accusations of murder and a struggle over ownership of one of the world's last great wilderness areas.

**** The 'Thirtysomething' Power Players <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120000485526882237.html?mod=at_leisure_main_reviews_days_only>
by Rebecca Dana, Wall Street Journal
20 years later, "thirtysomething" isn't even available on DVD, and none of its cast members have gone on to acting stardom. But nearly all of them have become highly influential in the entertainment world in other ways, stepping behind the cameras to write, direct and product hit television shows this season.

**** The Chicken Soup Chronicles <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/13/opinion/13ephron.html?ex=1357880400&en=9f63b262d265a377&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Nora Ephron, New York Times
The other day I felt a cold coming on. So I decided to have chicken soup to ward off the cold. Nonetheless I got the cold. This happens all the time: you think you're getting a cold; you have chicken soup; you get the cold anyway. So: is it possible that chicken soup gives you a cold?

**** New Orchard MRT Entrance To Open <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_196066.html>
by Straits Times
The existing MRT exit will be shut down due to ongoing construction of ION Orchard. The new exit opens ot to the upper side of Orchard Road, closer to Wheelock Place and Tangs.

**** Singapore: The New Switzerland <http://online.barrons.com/article/SB120009958593085271.html?mod=googlenews_barrons>
by Assif Shameen, Barron's
The hub of Asian wealth management, Singapore can scarcely find enough private bankers these days. Already the world's second largest private-banking center, it is fast closing in on longtime leader Switzerland, as tough secrecy laws and favorable taxes attract big accounts. from throughout Asia.

**** Singapore's Health Care System: A Free Lunch You Can Sink Your Teeth Into <http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2008/01/singapores_heal.html>
by Bryan Caplan, EconLog
I've heard a lot of smart people warn that co-payments are penny-wise but pound-foolish, because people cut back on high-benefit preventive care. Unless someone is willing to dispute Singapore's budgetary and health data, it looks like we've got strong counter-evidence to this view: Either Singaporeans don't skimp on preventive care when you raise the price, or preventive care isn't all it's cracked up to be.

**** Is Singapore Insufficiently Tribalistic? <http://reason.com/blog/show/124360.html>
by Kerry Howley, Reason Magazine
Let Singapore democratize, by all means, but it's completely bizarre to claim that the Singaproean government, which presides over one of the wealthiest societies in Asia, is preventing citizens from "developing their talents."

**** Farmstay: Singapore <http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,153340,00.html>
by Cara van Miriah, New Paper

**** Dental Registration Was Processed Wrongly <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/232002.asp>
by Kwa Chong Teck, National Dental Centre, Today
I am sorry that our staff processed the registration incorrectly. All patients born overseas who present valid Certificate of Singapore Citizenship at our counters are registered as citizens. Passports do not need to be presented.
See Previously:
ID Blues: One Parent's Struggle <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/231594.asp>, by Chow Yeow Whye, Today.

**** Test Will Err On Side Of Generosity, Says Health Minister <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_195911.html>
by Salma Khalik, Straits Times
Means testing at hospitals will neither be mean nor demeaning, health minister Khaw Boon Wan promised yesterday.
Referring to middle-income people who might have difficulty meeting their hospital bills, especially in long-drawn illnesses, he said he would rather be more generous than strict.

**** Fourth U Can Go Niche And Trendy <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/232016.asp>
by Thomas Koshy, Today

**** 'How Many Times More?' <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/232015.asp>
by Ansley Ng, Today
Yet another attempt to put Bayshore Park on the en bloc market has been nipped by poor attendance, and residents who are not interested in selling are fed up with the repeated efforts.