[MyAppleMenu] Jan 13, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jan 13 13:15:01 EST 2008

**** Apple's Gag As iPhone Disappoints <http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/investing-and-markets/article.html?in_article_id=429336&in_page_id=3>
by Simon Fluendy and ALice Hall, This Is Money
Apple has banned UK retailers of its heavily hyped iPhone from reporting sales figures amid evidence that British consumers have shunned the device.

**** The iPhone's Anonymous Heroes <http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/006274.html>
by Harry McCracken, PC World
If you ask me, the real untold story is this: Who, other than Steve Jobs, invented this thing?

**** What Apple Needs To Do To Become More IT Frinedly <http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205601751>
by John C. Welch, InformationWeek

**** Can Parallels Become The One Virtualization To Rule Them All? <http://weblog.infoworld.com/virtualization/archives/2008/01/can_parallels_b.html>
by David Marshall, InfoWorld

**** Hands-On With The New 8-Core Mac Pro <http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/business/appleaday/blog/2008/01/handson_with_the_new_8core_mac.html>
by David Zeiler, Baltimore Sun
The Mac Pro is shockingly quiet as it is blazingly fast.

**** The Downside To Apple's Frequent Product Updates <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120008119783584359.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
by Nick Wingfield, Wall Street Journal
By constantly redesigning its products, introducing new ones and trumpeting the changes in high-profile marketing campaigns, Apple has habituated many of its customers to living in a semipermanent upgrade cycle for new gadgets. The risk is in disappointing consumers who feel their new purchases are instantly outmoded.

**** Gadgets Swamp Our Digital Future <http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article3176883.ece>
by Dominic Rushe, The Times

**** Great Adaptations <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/13/books/review/Gee-t.html?ref=books>
by Sophie Gee, New York Times
Modern popularizers have come to the rescue, with striking commercial success.

**** F**cking The Ficus In Santa Monica <http://www.laweekly.com/news/news/fcking-the-ficus-in-santa-monica/18061/>
by Max Taves, LA Weekly
Doomed by 1950s tree planters, who never imagined the ferocity of the consumer age.

**** Has Gawker Jumped The Snark? <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/13/fashion/13gawker.html?_r=1&oref=login>
by Allen Salkin, New York Times

**** MM Lee Says Indonesia's SUharto Not Getting The Recognition He Deserves <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/322309/1/.html>
by Sujadi Siswo, Channel NewsAsia
Speaking to Singapore media, MM Lee priased the former president for bringing progress and development to Indonesia, and stability to the region.

**** Singapore Does Not Want To Sway UBS - Report <http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssFinancialServicesAndRealEstateNews/idUSL1344325720080113>
by Andrew Hurst, Reuters
The Government of Singapore Investment Corporation (GIC), which is investing 11 billion Swiss francs in UBS, was quoted as saying it does not want influence the running of the Swiss bank.

**** Go Ahead, Ask A Question But... <http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,153262,00.html>
by Sylvia Toh Paik Choo, New Paper
We ar etongue-tied because one, if we don't speak up, teacher will scold. Two, if we do speak up, chances are our question or answer wrong, kena scolding. And three, we ask a clever question or give a smart answer, sure get scolding.

**** Taking HDB Living To A Higher Plane <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2008/1/12/columnists/insightdownsouth/19973393&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
New public housing wil be luxurious and high-tech, rather than the bland first-generation flats churned out in the past.

**** Singapore Airlines Pampers Passengers For Every Minute Of 18-Hour Flight <http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08013/848282-37.stm>
by Marlene Parrish, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Many a traveler has faced the worst cases of today's airline experiences: flight delays, tarmac residencies, frequent cancellations and overall angst. But for those who travel to Thailand, Australia and Southeast Asia, those black clouds in the sky can have a silver, no, make that platinum, lining.

**** Testing Times <http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2008/01/testing-time.html>
by Singapore Life And Times
Te age-old issue of how to separate the haves and have-nots is raised.

**** A White Horse <http://justtheclique.blogspot.com/2008/01/white-horse.html>
by The Clog
Guess who has just enlisted into national service?

**** Lee Kuan Yew: Today And The Straits Times <http://www.pressrun.org/weblog/2008/01/lee-kuan-yew-to.html>
by Blowin' In The Wind

**** Whither Singapore's Internet Grassroots Organisations? <http://yuhuibc.blogspot.com/2008/01/whither-singapores-internet-grassroots.html>
by Yuhui's Blogger
It seemed like such groups, or at least teh ones that I knew of, had either died or gone into extended hibernation.

**** Insure Your Wedding? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,153261,00.html?>
by Ho Lian-Yi, New Paper
New association plans pay-back scheme if birdal shop closes or photographer disappears.

**** Slipping Through The Social Safety Net <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_195651.html>
by Braema Mathi, Straits Times

**** C Class Ward: Subsidy For All At Least 65% <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_195692.html>
by Salma Khalik, Straits Times
Patients hoping for a C class bed will not have to pay more than one-third of their hospital bills, no matter how well-off they are.
Health minister Khaw Boon Wan gave this benchmark when asked how his means testing proposal, to make the rich pay more than the poor for hospitalisation, will work.
/Put another way, the maximum increment is 1.75 times of the current rate./

**** Shucks, No Oysters In My Omelette? <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_195696.html>
by Tara Tan and Jamie Ee Wen Wei, Straits Times
Severe shortage due to tainted China shipments rejected by AVA.