[MyAppleMenu] Aug 23, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Aug 23 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Apple Makes iPhone Available In 22 More Countries Today <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/08/22/apple-makes-iphone-available-in-22-more-countries-today>
by Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

**** Apple Investigating As iTunes Appears To Be Blocked In China <http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/apple-investigating-itunes-appears-blocked/story.aspx?guid=%7B5463C868-4D19-4B6E-9290-9D09F573C1C5}>
by AFP
Apple Inc. Friday said it is investigating why access to iTunes appears to be blocked for users in China after a pro-Tibet album became a hit on the online music store.

**** Apple Releases MacBook Air Update <http://www.macworld.com/article/135177/2008/08/airupdate.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
According to the notes provided by Apple, the update addresses issues with video playback and processor core idling.

**** Review: MacCourmet Deluxe <http://www.cookingincastiron.com/files/20080822_macgourmet_deluxe.html>
by Rick Mansfield, Cooking In Cast Iron
The program is so sophisticated, it might be reason enough to switch from Windows.

**** Cellphones May Make Wallets Obsolete <http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-cover24-2008aug24,0,7423815.story>
by Joseph Menn, Los Angeles Times
The financial functionality of mobile phones is poised to explode.

**** How To Launch Software <http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/howtolaunch>
by Aaron Swartz, Raw Thought

**** The Theory That Ate The World <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/books/review/Johnson-t.html>
by George Johnson, New York Times
Hawking's information paradox opened an arena in which two great theories of physics &mdash; general relativity, describing gravity, and quantum mechanics, describing everything else &mdash; duked it out.

**** A Long, Strange Trip <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/books/review/Coates-t.html>
by Steve Coates, New York Times
Is there anything in the Western literary canon with more abundant, potent or frolicsome offspring than Homer's "Odyssey"?

**** My Long War <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/magazine/24filkins-t.html>
by Dexter Filkins, New York Times
What it's been like reporting a conflict that never seems to end.

**** The Shape Of Music <http://www.seedmagazine.com/news/2008/07/the_shape_of_music.php>
by Dmitri Tymoczko, Seed
How do harmony and melody combine to make music?

**** Despite Its Diminutive Stature, Singapore Booms <http://archrecord.construction.com/news/daily/archives/080820singapore.asp>
by Robert Such, Architectural Record

**** A 'Secret' Screening <http://www.tanpinpin.com/wordpress/?p=399>
by Tan Pin Pin, Notes From Serangoon Road
The re-look into the Film Act wouldn't have happened if the filmmakers hadn't persisted. My hats off to Martyn for being so /steady/ throughout the whole police interrogation process. There is definitely a place for civil disobedience in Singapore.

**** Giving People Space To Let Off Steam <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/8/23/focus/22142804&sec=focus>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
The surprise is even greater when measured against the strong criticism levelled only five days earlier by Lee Kuan Yew at the younger generation's enchantment with "multi-party democracy".
Now his 56-year-old son has announced moves that could &mdash; if properly implemented &mdash; lead to more active multi-party politics or even loosen the ruling People's Action Party's hold on power.

**** Changi Prison: Did It Have To Go? <http://www.straitstimes.com/Review/Others/STIStory_270890.html>
by K. C. Vijayan, Straits Times
The recent decision to shelve construction of two new clusters at Changi Prison Complex raises a question: Was the decision to tear down the historic Changi Prison a mistake?

**** Lights, Politics, Action? <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_271104.html>
by Jeremy Au Yong, Straits Times
PM Lee has indicated that the latest trio of changes will not mark the end of the political liberalisation proces, pledging to 'progressively open up our system even more'. But those in charge of Singapore will 'continue to feel our way forward', not copy others blindly, he added.
The pace at which such change will come remains to be seen, even as conservatives and those who hanker for greater freedom continue to pull in different directions.

**** The Night It First Went Live... <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/272497.asp>
by Peter H L Lim, Today
Back in 1971, it was only after Mr Lee Kuan Yew had finished talking that we were able to receive urgent messages from our respective newsrooms that the entire speech had been telecast live.

**** MHA Clarifies Its Stance On Myanmar Work Permit Rejections <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/272536.asp>
by Esther Ng, Today
In response to queries, the Ministry of Homse Affairs said that the police and the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority have "no objection to members of the Myanmarese community in Singapore pursuing their political activities so longa s they abide by our laws."
However, it said that, unlike other groups which have conducted their activities in a lawful manner, the "OBP has chosen to do so in open and persistent defiance of our laws."
/In other words, before we welcome you as Foreign Talent, you must agree with PAP's policy of restricting freedom of expression and freedom of assembly. Otherwise, I let you in, and you vote for Chee Soon Juan, how can?/

**** Time For A 'Singles' Neighbourhood? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/272487.asp>
by Mohd Yazid Sallim, Today
Perhaps the government through the Housing and Development Board could provide rented studio apartments in a purpose-built singles commune.
/I don't think this is a good solution, but this does highlight that every single piece of additional policy implemented by the government will have many unintented consequences./

**** Singapore Shows Burmese Dissidents The Door <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2008/yax-925.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
By putting their lives at risk, the Singaore government is as callous as the junta when they blocked foreign aid to Cyclone Nargis victims. By penalising anyone who has spoken out against generals, the Singapore government is aiding and abetting those generals in their continuing crime against humanity.