[MyAppleMenu] Oct 26, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 26 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** The Steady Advance Of Mac OS X <http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9804878-37.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
Here's the lesson: making smaller, more frequent changes to your product makes it much easier to stay on top of a changing industry than a five-year plan will ever allow.

**** Apple's Leopard Pounces On Tokyo <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/10/26/leopardjapan/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Martyn Williams, IDG News Service
The update to Apple's Mac OS X operating system, called Leopard, went on sale at the Apple Store in Tokyo on Friday evening, part of a global launch that will unfold around the world over the next 24 hours.

**** More Goodies In Apple's New Operating System <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/25/technology/circuits/25pogue-email.html?ex=1351051200&en=87ebad01dd8f9803&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink>
by David Pogue, New York Times
Even Apple doesn't list every little change to this multi-gigabyte mass of code... and here and there, I found useful little tweaks that never get any press.

**** Windows Machines Represented In Leopard With Blue Screen Of Death <http://cultofmac.com/?p=1401>
by Peter Mortensen, Cult Of Mac

**** In Depth: Apple's Leopard Leaps To New Heights <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9043838&source=rss_topic123>
by Ken Mingis and Michael DeAgonia, Computerworld
A refined look, revamped apps and new options build on an already solid OS foundation.

**** FIve Reasons Not To Make The Jump To Leopard &mdash; Yet <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9043945&source=rss_topic123>
by Ken Mingis, Computerworld
Old hardware, older apps? You might want to wait before upgrading.

**** Why I Bought AAPL On Oct 8 <http://www.scripting.com/stories/2007/10/25/whyIBoughtAaplOnOct8.html>
by Dave Winer, Scripting News
I bought the stock because I was going to buy everything Apple sold from now until forever.

**** Inside Leopard: Spotlight <http://www.macworld.com/2007/10/features/leopard_spotlight/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
Those who have stayed away from Spotlight due to its too-broad searches and uneven performance will be impressed with its Leopard implementation.

**** Inside Leopard: Finder And Dock <http://www.macworld.com/2007/10/features/leopard_finder_dock/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
The new Finder works really well. The look is polarizing, howerver, and some may not enjoy the new "face" of the Finder. I don't think anyone will complain about its performance, however&mdash;the new Finder manages to add a number of really nice new features while actually getting faster at handling the typical file management taks.

**** Apple Quietly Disposes Of Classic In Leopard <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/10/25/apple-quietly-disposes-of-classic-in-leopard>
by Iljitsch van Beijnum, Ars Technica
Classic has never been available on Intel Macs, but as of Leopard, PowerPC Macs will also have to do without Classic.

**** Leopard Backpedals Again: No More iPhone Note Syncing <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/10/25/leopard-backpedals-again-no-more-iphone-note-syncing>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica

**** Apple In A Fight For Rights To TV Shows <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/24/AR2007102402410.html>
by Frank Ahrens, Washington Post
The turbulence on the content side comes as Apple is enjoying smooth sailing on its hardware side.
See Also:
Warner Music May Not Renew Yearly iTunes Contract <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/25/warner_music_may_not_renew_yearly_itunes_contract_report.html>, by AppleInsider.

**** Apple Unleashes Its Leopard OS <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2007/10/25/dlleop25.xml>
by Claudine Beaumont, Telegraph
Leopard's new features are compelling and largely a success, but you won't miss out if you wait a while to make the leap.

**** Ten Overlooked Leopard Gems <http://www.macworld.com/2007/10/firstlooks/leopard_s_hidden_gems/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Rick LePage, Macworld
Under-appreciated OS X 10.5 features you'll be glad Apple added.

**** MingMania Strategy Game Released <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/10/25/kingmania/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** iDVD, iLife Support Updates <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/25/idvd-ilife-support-updates/>
by Scott McNulty, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** Meet Spaces! <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9260>
by Matt Neuburg, TidBITS
Whether you've got a big multi-monitor setup or a tiny portable screen, Spaces has the potential to make your life a lot easier. You simply have to remember to use it.

**** Leopard Simplifies Sharing <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9261>
by Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS
Apple not only consolidated file sharing options for Apple Filing Protocol (AFP), Samba (or SMB), and FTP into one place, but they added back folder sharing, a feature never seen in Mac OS X, even though it was widely used in Mac OS 9 and releases before that.

**** iMac MXM Update 1.0 <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/25/imac-mxm-update-1-0/>
by Scott McNulty, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
The iMac MXM Update 1.0 'improves video compatibility with Boot Camp on certain 24" iMac models.'

**** Inside Leopard: Spaces <http://www.macworld.com/2007/10/features/leopard_spaces/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
OS X 10.5 addition offers simplified entry into the realm of virtual desktops.

**** How To Say "OS X" <http://chris.pirillo.com/2007/10/25/how-to-say-os-x/>
by Chris Pirillo
OS TEN. Straight from the manufacturer themselves.

**** Inside Leopard: System Preferences <http://www.macworld.com/2007/10/features/leopard_preferences/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** Review: Mac OS X Leopard <http://www.macworld.com/2007/10/reviews/leopard_review/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jason Snell, Macworld
Given the impressive value of Time Machine and improvements to existing programs such as iCal, iChat, Mail, and the FInder, most active Mac users will find more than enough reasons to consider that upgrade cost money well spent. Despite a few interface missteps, particularly when it comes to the menu bar and the Dock, Leopard is an upgrade that roars.

**** How Hard Could It Be? Five Easy Ways To Fail <http://www.inc.com/magazine/20071101/how-hard-could-it-be-five-easy-ways-to-fail.html?partner=fogcreek>
by Jeol Spolsky, Inc
Nothing like a weak team or an unrealistic schedule to start a project off right.

**** The Haunted Credit Card <http://www.slate.com/id/2176630/fr/rss/>
by Emily Bazelon, Slate
An ode to store-bought Halloween costumes.

**** Cleared For Lunching: The $100 Hamburger <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/26/travel/escapes/26burger.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Matthew Preusch, New York Times
It's called hunting the $100 hamburger &mdash; "$100" referring to the cost of fuel &mdash; sort of the aeronautical equivalent of lazy Sunday drives in which the destination isn't as important as the pleasure of getting away. The thrill level, though, is just a bit higher than that of tooling through the New England countryside in fall foliage season.

**** Ow It's Nobody's Secret <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/25/fashion/shows/25LINGERIE.html?ex=1350964800&en=d0a8ce1a3111fd7b&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Ruth La Ferla, New York Times
Lingerie's cachet as a sexy, emphatically visible component of a woman's outfit has contributed to rising sales.

**** Singapore To End Delayed Home Payments Scheme <http://malaysia.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20071026/tap-singapore-property-c3bb44c.html>
by Reuters
Singapore said late Friday that real estate developers could no longer let home buyers delay payments on the bulk of their property purchases, a move that could oduse the rise in housing prices.

**** Blaming The Victims <http://seraphicradiance.wordpress.com/2007/10/25/blaming-the-victims/>
by Comfotably Numb
I resent the blatant attempt here to inverse the roles of victims and perpetrators.

**** Prices Of HDB Resale Flats Keep Accelerating <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Money/STIStory_170705.html>
by Straits Times

**** Of Morals, Rights And Harm <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/of-morals-rights-and-harm.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

**** How To Tell If Someone Is Singaporean? <http://urbanrant.blogspot.com/2007/10/how-to-tell-if-someone-is-singaporean.html>
by Urbanrant
You can't.

**** Singapore Currency Climbs To New Multi-Year High Against Dollar <http://www.nasdaq.com/aspxcontent/NewsStory.aspx?cpath=20071025%5cACQRTT200710252315RTTRADERUSEQUITY_2206.htm&>
by Nasdaq

**** Malaysia Airlines "DIsappointed" Over End Of KL-Singapore Monopoly <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hVTA3w-tzK0DXeAErwdBYNPfvWXQ>
by AFP
Malaysia Airlines said Friday it was disappointed over the decision to allow budget airlines to operate the lucrative Kuala Lumpur-Singapore route, breaking the national carriers' stranglehold.

**** Singapore Airlines Chief Skirts Trans-Pacific Turbulence <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/307897/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
The chief of Singapore Airlines refused to be drawn Friday on the company's bid to share Qantas' lucrative trans-Pacific route, saying he needed to be diplomatic during Australia's election campaign.

**** Air Asia To Fly KL-SG - How Much Cheaper Will It Be? <http://www.themediaslut.com/2007/10/800>
by Presenting The (New) Mediaslut!
The taxes is already enough to pay for a 1st class bus ride to KL.

**** Government Using Hyperbole To Justify Public Protests Ban <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/10/26/govt-using-hyperbole-to-justify-demo-ban/>
by Gerald Giam, theonlinecitizen
Unfortunately, two generations of Singaporeans &mdash; which include the policymakers and police officers themselves &mdash; have been brought up with ghost stories of our turbulent past and been told that /any/ organised gathering that is not government endorsed is dangerous and could lead to riots.

**** Mediacorp Cured My TV Addiction <http://www.insanepoly.com/blog/?p=389>
by Insane Polygons
Dullsville, that's what.

**** Ellen Lee And The Great Leap Backwards <http://pleinelune.wordpress.com/2007/10/24/ellenlee/>
by Used Brains For Sale

**** Religion-ism: To What Extent <http://bakaabao.blogspot.com/2007/10/religion-ism-to-what-extent.html>
by Abao's Rants
Yes, religion is the root of our problem.

**** Singaproe's Dirty List <http://singabloodypore.rsfblog.org/archive/2007/10/25/singapore-s-dirty-list.html>
by Singabloodypore

**** Singapore's Economy: High-Flyer <http://www.economist.com/world/asia/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10026525>
by The Economist
The strong global economic tide has lifted the boats of most South-East Asian countries, but perhaps the most impressive performer is Singapore.

**** Shining City On A Hill <http://shianux.jiyuuu.org/2007/10/26/shining-city-on-a-hill/>
by The Legal Janitor
We will take bak our country from the fascists.

**** Singapore, Malaysia To Discuss Liberalisation Of Air Routes Soon <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/307764/1/.html>
by Wong Mun Wai, Channel NewsAsia
Officials from Singapore and Malaysia are planning to meet soon to discuss the expansion of air services between the two countries.
Transport minister Raymond Lim said this includes not only the Singapore-Kuala Lumpur route, but also between Singapore and additional cities in Malaysia.
See Also:
Singapore Fully Committeed To Liberalising Air Services Soon <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=292134>, by Bernama. Singapore said Thursday it is fully committed to liberalising air services between island state and Malaysia as soon as possible.

**** 3 New Applied Subjects For O-Level Students <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_170555.html>
by Straits Times
Get set for 3-D animation, electronics and enterprise. Students who take an applied subject will do so on top of core O-level subjects like English and mathematics.

**** Even The Newer Taipei MRT Is Better Than Ours In Many Aspects <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_170405.html>
by Chee Hoong Chee, Straits Times

**** Enter The Traffic Marshals <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/218808.asp>
by Leong Wee Keat, Today
They will be first deployed on the KPE to keep traffic flowing smoothly.

**** Pay Rise, More Incentive To Excel For 13,700 Civil Servants <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/218777.asp>
by Lee U-Wen, Today
Starting in January, nearly a quarter of all civil servants in Singapore will see their monthly ay cheques fattened by as much as 17 per cent, depending on how well they've done their job.
There will also be new career paths, higher performance bonuses and a tieried, economy-linked bonus pid out in years of exceptional growth, said the Public Service Division (PSD) yesterday.

**** 10 Years Ago: Its Mood Dark As The Haze, Southeast Asia Aches <http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9902E3D61F3EF935A15753C1A961958260>
by Seth Mydans, New York Times
Tigers and elephants are fleeing the burning jungles. Birds are falling from the murky skies. School children are fainting at their desks. Ships are colliding at sea.
As a filthy haze from vast Indonesian forest fires continues to darken the sky across seven Southeast Asian nations, illness, ecological destruction and economic hardship are growing.