[MyAppleMenu] Oct 14, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Oct 14 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** iPod People <http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=a5e70187-5ebe-4f0e-9d88-d4aec2593986>
by Brian Hallenbeck, TheDay.com
Some of you can't live without it, while others remain wedded to vinyl.

**** Local Mac Fan Buys Into Apple CEO's Tactics <http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/oct/14/local_mac_fan_buys_apple_ceos_tactics/>
by Mark Fagan, LJWorld.com
Brian Best bought his first Mac &mdash; a Macintosh Classic, with a 9-inch black-and-white monitor &mdash; back when Kansas University was winning its last national basketball championship, so he's plenty familiar with how fans can be a bit proprietary when it comes to a team or product they worship.

**** So That's Where All Those Mac Laptops Were Hiding! <http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/business/appleaday/blog/2007/10/so_thats_where_all_those_mac_l.html>
by David Zeiler, Baltimore Sun

**** Born-Again In Mactopia <http://shawnday.com/randomosity/2007/10/13/born-again-in-mactopia/>
by Shawn Day, Randomosity
So... 48 hours back on a Macintosh laptop and I am in serious danger of getting drunk on the kook-aid again.

**** iTunes Problem: Too Many Processes <http://chris.pirillo.com/2007/10/13/itunes-problem-too-many-processes/>
by Chris Pirillo
"iTunes runs a couple of processes (at least 3) in the background and that annoys the hell out of me. Maybe I'm picky, but I don't like when my computer does something I didn't tell it (or asked or in come cases pleaded) to do."

**** Apple Online Store Says Virus = Windows <http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple-store/apple-online-store-says-virus--windows-310589.php>
by Gizmodo
If you go down to the Apple Online Store and search the term "virus," you will get one result: a smiley face, titled Windows, followed by the text; /Why you'll love a Mac. View the latest TV ads to find out more./

**** The New Advertising Outlet: Your Life <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/14/business/media/14ad.html?_r=1&ex=1350014400&en=d38a4ebd52ebf219&ei=5089&partner=rssyahoo&emc=rss&oref=slogin>
by Louise Story, New York Times
The success of Nike+ is bad news for the traditional media companies that have long made money from Nike's television commercials and glossy magazine ads.

**** California Court Tilts Towards Mandating Web Accessibility <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/14/california_target_web_accessibility/>
by The Register

**** China's Next Big Export: Inflation <http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1670255,00.html>
by Austin Ramzy, Time
Demand from China, along with other fast-growing emerging economies, has driven up the price of oil and a wide range of other commodities for the past several years. But what's really worrying many economists is the sudden apearance of relatively high inflation within China and the ripples that might cause abroad.

**** Singapore PM "Saddened" At Death Of Soe Win <http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?xfile=data/theworld/2007/October/theworld_October437.xml&section=theworld&col=>
by AFP
Singapore's prime minister said he was "deeply saddened" at the death of his Myanmar counterpart Soe Win, who spent months in treatment at a Singapore hospital this year.

**** Singapore: City State Or Re-Merger? <http://bleongcw.typepad.com/simple_is_the_reason_of_m/2007/10/singapore-city-.html>
by Simple Is The Reason Of My Heart

**** Touts, Cabbies Taking Tourists For A Meter-Less Ride <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_166922.html>
by Mavis Toh, Shuli Sudderudin, and Nur Dianah Suhaimi, Straits Times
Of the 50 foreigners The Sunday Times spoke to, almost all said they had been ripped off at least once by cabbies who refused to charge by the meter.

**** Can Singapore Produce A Nobel Prize Winner? <http://antineodem.wordpress.com/2007/10/14/can-singapore-produce-a-nobel-prize-winner/>
by The Anti Neo-Democracy Theorist

**** U.S. Tries Rehab For Religious Extremists <http://www.abcnews.go.com/International/CSM/story?id=3722800&page=1>
by Simon Montlake, ABC News
A counseling program that employs Muslim clerics to rebut extremist views of detainess has steadily reduced their nmbers over the past four years in Singapore, suggesting that religous-based rehabilitation may offer an alternative to indefinite detention without trial in the U.S.-led war on terrorism.

**** 10 Years Ago: Singapore Rides Out Asian Storm <http://www.iht.com/articles/1997/10/14/slow.t.php>
by Michael Richardson, Internationa Herald Tribune
Despite more than three months of turmoil of Southeast Asia's currency and stock markets that rocked even the normally sturdy Singapore dollar and sent shares in the island-state into a tailspin, Singapore's economy will weather the storm without any major loss of economic momentum, officials and independent analysts say.
Asked in parliament recently how Singapore was being affected by the crisis in the region, finance minister Richard Hu replied that the "immediate impact" was "very small, certainly for this year."