[MyAppleMenu] Oct 13, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Oct 13 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Keeping It All Together In The iAge <http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/keeping-it-all-together-in-the-iage/2007/10/13/1191696232514.html>
by Simon Castles, The Age
Video killed the radio star, and now the iPod is lording it over the album.

**** iTunes Tags Demystified <http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,138256-c,mp3players/article.html>
by Kirk McElhearn, Macworld
How to read, tweak and effectively use those bits of code that keep your iTunes organized.

**** It's iPods For The Audience In 'EyeSpace' <http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/northwest/chi-1012_dancecardoct12,1,4808546.story?ctrack=1&cset=true>
by Sid Smith, Chiacgo Tribune
Say your job is behind-the-scenes manager of a touring dance troupe.
Before every trip, you need to check inventory. Costumes for 14 dancers. Check. Scenery and design artifiacts for certain orks. Check. About 1,000 iPods.
Excuse me?

**** Total Music, Uh-Huh <http://daringfireball.net/2007/10/total_music_uh_huh>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball

**** I Will Be Smarter About How I Handle E-Mail <http://www.macworld.com/2007/10/features/lockup_mail/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Joe Kissell, Macworld
Safer e-mailing requires not just spam filtering, but greater care in sending, reading, and responding to messages.

**** Walking The Walk <http://www.macworld.com/2007/10/features/lockup_finale/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld

**** Three Weeks With The iPhone As My Primary Computer <http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202401450>
by Mitch Wagner, InformationWeek
I still like the iPhone a lot, and remain amazed and in awe at some of the things it can do.But there's a lot about the iPhone that's frustrating.

**** Create 14.0 <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/12/create-14-0/>
by Scott McNulty, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** So How Will Apple Maintain That Golden Rep For Customer Service? <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2007/10/so_how_will_app.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_byteoftheapple>
by Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek
It's clear that Apple has some unique advantages to avoid becoming as maddeningly mediocre as most big companies are at doing customer service.

**** ATA Airlines Detains Passenger For Using iPhone In 'Airplane Mode' <http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9796512-37.html>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
We're talking about airlines and the government, so silly thing happen all the time.

**** Acorn 1.0.2 <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2007/10/acorn/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by James Dempsey, Macworld
Flying Meat's Acorn 1.0.2 is a wonderfully simple image-editor made for those who just want to crop a photo, add some text, and maybe do some minor editing&mdash;without the palettes, steep learning curve, and off-putting price tag that accompany many full-blown image editors.

**** Commoditizing High Quality Video <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Stewart/?p=575>
by Ryan Stewart, ZDNet

**** American Flag Pins Are For Idiots <http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2007/10/12/flag_pins/>
by Bill Maher, Salon
This generation doesn't sacrifice or even pay for our wars. No, all we do is sport pins and bumper stickers.

**** Singapore Stance On Bank Secrecy Puts EU Trade Deal In Doubt <http://www.fxstreet.com/news/forex-news/article.aspx?StoryId=1870f28d-84b6-458a-97dc-e4d9de5ba425>
by Vladimir Guevarra, Dow Jones Newswires
Singapore won't be changing its tough banking secrecy laws despite calls from the European Union for more transparency, a decision which could scuttle talks for a trade agreement between the island-state and the E.U.

**** Singapore Dollar Strengthens To 10-Year High <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=aJ_BHdjdURwk&refer=asia>
by Aaron Pan and Ron Harui, Bloomberg
The Singapore dollar rose to a 10-year high on speculation inflation will accelerate, giving the central bank reason to allow faster gains in its currency.

**** No Comments On Kuan Yew's Idea On Singapore Rejoining Malaysia <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=289929>
by Bernama
Malaysian political leaders today declined to be dragged into any argument over a Singapore-Malaysia merger raised by the republic's minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew for the second time since 1996.
Deputy prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak and foreign minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar were of the opinion that it ws needless for Malaysia to react to Lee's remarks.

**** MAS Refutes Dow Jones Report On Changing Banking Laws In Singapore <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/305478/1/.html>
by Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia
The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) has refuted claims made in a Dow Jones news report on 11 October, which said Singapore is "a potential haven of suspicious money from launderers and terrorists".
MAS said the allegation is baseless, and contrary to what the report said, MAS has no plans to change Singapore's banking laws.

**** New Generation <http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2007/10/new-generation.html>
by Singapore Life And Times

**** A Scary Singapore Visionary <http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/topstories.php?id=122599>
by Bangkok Post
A small clique of cronies runs Singapore with an iron hand behind a veil of democracy. They justify their politics with economics and the important of image.
So it is not surprising that their advice for the brutal military regime in Burma is that they may consolidate their dictatorship with better economic policies as a way of keeping the citizens pliant, and by shedding their military uniforms as a way of image-building. It is a lecture on Autocrcy 101.

**** I Used To Be Addicted To Magic Cards <http://onthereddot.com/ian/2007/10/13/i-used-to-be-addicted-to-magic-cards/>
by Wanderings, Musings And Happenings From Ian On Singapore
How we pursue success will speak about us as much as the success we attain.

**** Teacher Teaches, And Pupils Listen <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2007/10/13/columnists/insightdownsouth/19154222&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
The 21st Century Singaporean is professionally capable, knowledgeable in data knowledge, but short in initiative, action and verbal skills.
He is also self-centered and apathetic about the world around him, a trait that Lee knows will make it hard for SIngapore to compete against more gung-ho hordes from China and India.

**** All New Buildings To Be More Accessible From April <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_166665.html>
by Radha Basu, Straits Times

>From next April, all new buildings must have wheelchair-friendly routes connecting their entraces with surrounding bus stops, buildings and parks.

**** It Is Not A Gay Thing. It Is About Equality. <http://urbanrant.blogspot.com/2007/10/it-is-not-gay-thing-it-is-about.html>
by Urbanrant

**** Don't Politicize Transport Fare Hikes; Politicize How Good Things Are <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/167152.html>
by Mollymeek
What we can infer from Raymond Lim's reasoning is that the gahmen really does capitalize on people's forgetfulnes and there may be a tendency for fares hikes not to be approved just before Elections.

**** Postcard From Singapore V - Oktoberfest <http://blogs.reuters.com/photo/2007/10/12/postcard-from-singapore-v-oktoberfest/>
by Joachim Herrmann, Reuters