[MyAppleMenu] Nov 28, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Nov 28 13:15:01 EST 2007

**** Don't Discount Apple's Bid For A Blockbuster Holiday <http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/commentary/cultofmac/2007/11/cultofmac_11_28>
by Leander Kahney, Wired
Apple breaks all the rules of retail, but you can bet Santa's little helpers will bring sacks of cash to Steve Jobs this Christmas.

**** OS X Security Just Not There Yet <http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13509_1-9824384-20.html>
by The Macalope, CNET News.com

**** So Where's The DRM-Free Music Explosion? <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2007/11/so_wheres_the_d.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_byteoftheapple>
by Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek

**** iPod Classic (160 GB) <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2184527,00.asp>
by Tim Gideon, PC Magazine

**** Revisiting The iPod Touch <http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2007/11/touchrevisit/index.php>
by Christopher Breen, Playlist
I'd still like buttons and getting some of the iPhone's apps stock rather than having to hack them onto the touch would be nice. But were I to be asked to recommend the nearly perfect gift for a loved one who wants to take video on the road, I wouldn't hesitate to suggest a stop at the nearest Apple Store for a gander at the iPod touch.

**** UK iPhone Sales Warning <http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=19785>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

**** All Eyes On Apple <http://biz.yahoo.com/fastco/071127/fc1195477252347.html?.v=1>
by Adam L. Penenberg, Fast Company
In an age of convergence and simplification, customers are ever more insistent that computers, phones, TV, and music systems work together.

**** Picnik 1.0 <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2007/11/picnik/index.php>
by Jackie Dove, Macworld

**** The Recording Industry Should Thank Apple <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9823993-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Matt Rosoff, CNET News.com
I'm not saying the labels should automatically do whatever Apple tells them to do, but complaining about the one bright spot in your distribution picture doesn't seem like a particularly smart move.

**** Guitar Hero III For Mac Hits Stores Dec. 10 <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/11/27/guitarhero/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** How Do You Tell A Web Name From A Typo? <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/27/AR2007112702321.html>
by Paul Farhi, Washington Post
Among the many things the internet has added recently to contemporary life, there is this: Many grown-ups now sound like babbling toddlers when speaking about the digital world &mdash; because many corporate names now have the ring of a collection of Dr Seuss characters.

**** Storming The News Gatekeepers <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/26/AR2007112602025.html>
by Jose Antonio Vargas, Washington Post
On the internet, citizen journalists raise their voices.

**** An Important Lesson About Grassroots Media <http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/columns/stopthepresses_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003677395>
by Steve Outing, Editor And Publisher
I learned &mdash; the hard way &mdash; some truths about grassroots content and online community. This is my attempt at preventing you from going through similar business heartache.

**** Future Of The Web Coming Fast And Furious <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9824586-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Erica Ogg, CNET News.com

**** A History That Stands The Test Of Time <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/27/AR2007112702578.html>
by Jonathan Yardley, Washington Post
Published, astonishingly, almost exactly two years after the stock market crash of October 1929 that wrote a conclusive finis to the decade, the book "Only Yesterday: An Informal History of the 1920's" immediately proved at once a useful antidote to '20s romanticism and proof positive that this was indeed a remarkable and unique period in U.S. history.

**** Enter Sandman <http://www.poetryfoundation.org/journal/feature.html?id=180239>
by Rachel Aviv, Poetry Foundation
Who wrote "Footprints"?

**** Hunting Grounds For The Lost <http://www.2river.org/2RView/12_1/poems/_chung.html>
by Ingrid Chung, 2River View

**** Dairy Maid And Cyclops <http://www.2river.org/2RView/12_1/poems/potts.html>
by Lynne Potts, 2River View

**** Ars Poetica, Or Keeper-Of-The-Water <http://www.aprweb.org/issues/current/dwyer.html>
by Joanne Dominique Dwyer, APR

**** Youth Challenge Given Clean Bill Of Health After Addressing Weaknesses <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/314240/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

**** The Well-Being Of Singaporeans
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
The Human Development Index, as described by Wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Human_Development_Index&oldid=174313518>, is the "measure of life expectancy, literacy, education, and standard of living for countries worldwide. It is a standard means of measuring well-being, especially child welfare." Three dimensions are measured: health (life expectancy), knowledge (literacy), and decent standard of living (GDP at purchasing power parity).
The 2007 report <http://hdr.undp.org/en/reports/global/hdr2007-2008/>, which measures data from year 2005, has been released, and Singapore maintained its 25th ranking <http://hdrstats.undp.org/countries/country_fact_sheets/cty_fs_SGP.html> while improving in terms of the value of the index, scoring a 0.922 as compared to 0.916 the year previous.
Singapore has been ranked behind Iceland (#1), Norway (#2), Australia (#3), Switzerland (#7), United States (#12), and Hong Kong (#21).

**** A Contrarian View On The MDA Video <http://bleongcw.typepad.com/simple_is_the_reason_of_m/2007/11/a-contrarian-vi.html>
by Bernard Leong, Simple Is The Reason Of My Heart
Getting some bad publicity in exchange for publicity was not a bad idea.

**** Interest Rates Not The Only Monetary Policy Lever <http://www.financialstandard.com.au/index.php?id=11421>
by Alex Dunnin, Financial Standard
While the only official lever Australia uses to slow down an overheating economy is raising interest rates, in Singapore they sometimes use the CPF contribution rates.

**** Singapore's Island That's Made Of Rubbish <http://keropokman.blogspot.com/2007/11/singapores-island-thats-made-of-rubbish.html>
by The Keropok

**** SDP Pair Again Contest Charges <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/224465.asp>
by Teo Xuanwei, Today
Answering charges of speaking in public without a permit for the third time, Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) chief Chee Soon Juan and party supporter Yap Keng Ho yesterday accused the police of "selective enforcement."
See Also:
Witness Might Not Have Called Police If SDP Event "Had A Roof" <http://singabloodypore.rsfblog.org/archive/2007/11/27/witness-might-not-have-called-police-if-sdp-event-had-a-roof.html>, by Singapore Democrats, Singabloodypore.

**** Booked Taxi, But Then Cabby Told Her To Alight <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_180967.html>
by Amarjit Kaur, Straits Times

**** Reader Sees Rred Over Police Reply <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_181167.html>
by Leow Zi Xiang, Straits Times
I would urge the police to substantiate their comments properly instead of impugning my integrity, suggesting that I had not been completely honest in my account of events.
See Also:
Police Action On Protest Necessary For Security <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_180377.html>, by Audrey Ang, Singapore Police Force.

**** NS Veteran Left Out In The Cold <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_181169.html>
by Joel Tan Cheng Chye, Straits Times