[MyAppleMenu] Nov 27, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Nov 27 13:15:00 EST 2007

**** The Power Of Steve Jobs <http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/21/news/newsmakers/power_jobs.fortune/?postversion=2007112704>
by Brent Schlender, Fortune
The charismatic Apple founder pioneered several industries, made an unrivaled comeback, and established a powerhouse brand, placing him at the top of Fortune's 2007 Power 25 list.

**** I've Switched From Linux And Settled On OS X <http://mondaybynoon.com/2007/11/26/ive-switched-from-linux-and-settled-on-os-x/>
by Jonathan Christopher, Monday By Noon
The software is great, the hardware is great, and the aesthetics are a nice bonus.

**** Apple Stores Having 'Gravitational Pull' On Mall Shoppers - Report <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/11/26/apple_stores_having_gravitational_pull_on_mall_shoppers_report.html>
by Katie Marsal, AppleInsider
Analysts for ivnestment bank Piper Jaffray spent six hours this past weekend monitoring traffic at mall-based Apple retail stores and found that the shops exerted a gravitational pull on shoppers who came within 25 feet of the entranceways.

**** Plugin For Leopard's QuickLook Actually Makes Folder Viewing Useful <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/11/26/plugin-for-leopards-quicklook-actually-makes-folder-viewing-useful>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

**** Apple Portables Steadily Outsell Desktops <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2222381,00.asp>
by Daniel Drew Turner, eWeek
Apple continues to consistently sell more laptops than desktops, even as a major iMac upgrade enabled desktop sales to achieve a temporary parity with mobile models in 2007.

**** Three Handy Tips For iPhoto Organization <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9331>
by Tonya Engst, TidBITS
I can't promise that these tips will help you whip out your holiday cards from iPhoto while you bake cookies and realize that Chanukah is way before Christmas this year, but they certainly won't hurt.

**** Another Year, Another Laptop Adapter <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/11/adapter/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Brian Chen, Macworld
Ever since I bought my first Apple laptop, every power charger I've owned has inexplicably stopped working within one year.

**** Some Developers Getting Early iPhone SDK? <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/11/26/iphone.early.sdk/>
by MacNN

**** Ready For The Next Computing Platform? It's Ringing Now. <http://www.inc.com/resources/technology/articles/20071001/nelson.html>
by Zach Nelson, Inc
If you think the iPhone is all about listening to music and taking calls, think again. The device's ability to allow rich web-based business applications to run on your phone has raised the bar and is ushering in the cell phone as the next major computing device.

**** Seagate's MacBook Hard Drive Destroying Data <http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=204203468>
by Antone Gonsalves, InformationWeek
A U.K. data recovery firm says a manufacturing flaw causes deep gouges in the disk, resulting in permanent data loss.

**** Update: Mac Version Of QuickTime Buggy Too <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9048982&source=rss_topic123>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
The QuickTime vulnerability disclosed in the Windows version of QuickTime last week also affects Mac OS X, Symantec Corp. said today.

**** Does The Noncommercial Creative Commons License Make Sense? <http://www.cnet.com/8301-13556_1-9823336-61.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Gordon Haff, CNET News.com

**** Google Plans Service To Store Users' Data <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119612660573504716.html>
by Kevin J. Delaney and Vauhini Vara, Wall Street Journal

**** Yahoo To Introduce Structured Web Search <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/11/27/Yahoo-to-introduce-structured-Web-search_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/11/27/Yahoo-to-introduce-structured-Web-search_1.html>
by John Ribeiro, IDG News Service

**** The Growing Chinese Love Affair With The Internet <http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/digitalcontent/2007/11/the_growing_chinese_love_affai.html>
by Guardian

**** Study: It Might Be Fair, But Customers Lose Faith In Phished Brands <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071126-study-phishing-chips-away-at-branding-customer-trust.html>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

**** Young Government IT Workers Say Tech Is Dated <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/11/26/Study-finds-young-government-IT-workers-say-tech-is-dated_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/11/26/Study-finds-young-government-IT-workers-say-tech-is-dated_1.html>
by Grant Gross, IDG News Service
Young IT workers in the U.S. government believe technology is obsolete by the time it is rolled out and are concerned that they can't get the experience they need because some functions are outsourced, according to a focus-group report released Monday.

**** Twenty-First Century Exhibit <http://www.slate.com/id/2175508/fr/rss/>
by Tomas Q. Morin, Slate

**** The Power Of The Tower <http://arts.guardian.co.uk/art/architecture/story/0,,2217157,00.html>
by Jonathan Glancey, Guardian
The New York Times Building isn't just a striking new home for the paper - it's the city's best skyscraper in 40 years.

**** Alba Red <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2007/12/03/071203po_poem_kenney>
by Richard Kenney, New Yorker

**** The Visitor <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2007/12/03/071203fi_fiction_silver>
by Marisa Silver, New Yorker

**** Darwin's Surprise <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/12/03/071203fa_fact_specter>
by Michael Specter, New Yorker
Why are evolutionary biologists bringing back extinct deadly viruses?

**** The Pathos Of Things <http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,2216007,00.html>
by Seamus Heaney, Guardian
An economy of means, a sense of stillness and transience, Japanese poetry shares many of the qualities of Old Irish verse. English poetry had much to learn from both traditions.

**** Pleased To Be Here <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/books/review/Kirn-t.html?ref=books>
by Walter Kirn, New York Times
Run down to the bar and rouse the culture editor: the imposible has happened. n the dispiriting age of Bush and Britney, with our military still bogged down in Baghdad and our media stil lbewitched by Beverly Hills, an accomplished, respected American writer (a recent National Book Award Winner, in fact) has published a serious patriotic novel.

**** A Good Mystery: Why We Read <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/weekinreview/25rich.html?ref=books>
by Motoko Rich, New York Times
Is all hope gone, or will people still be drawn to the literary landscape? And what is it, exactly, that turns someone into a book lover who keeps coming back for more?

**** From Vienna, A Killer In A Cowboy Suit <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/26/books/26masl.html?ref=books>
by Janet Maslin, New York Times
In his awkward new book abotu a particularly unapetizing criminal, John Leake struggles to make a case for the egomaniac he has studied.

**** Calling Dr. Lee <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/11/25/CM1OSM8I5.DTL>
by Sandy Boucher, San Francisco Chronicle
There are three Dr. Lees in my life.

**** Menagerie, Not Museum, For Words That Live <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/26/arts/26conn.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Edward Rothstein, New York Times
The newly published Sixth Edition of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary reflects the transformations unfolding in the unabridged third edition of the O.E.D.

**** Is Race Dying? <http://www.salon.com/opinion/kamiya/2007/11/27/race/index_np.html?source=rss>
by Gary Kamiya, Salon
More than a third of black Americans no longer believe that blacks are a single race. This finding has alarmed some &mdash; but it could help America out of its racial mess.

**** Civil Servants To Get Two-Month Bonus In December <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/314032/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

**** The Seacil Reef Of Blog Ignorance <http://www.themediaslut.com/2007/11/825>
by Presenting The(new)mediaslut!
Ignoring email complaints is a very risky thing to do in the field of communications these days.

**** What's So Great About Singapore Math? <http://giftedexchange.blogspot.com/2007/11/whats-so-great-about-singapore-math.html>
by Laura Vanderkam, Gifted Exchange

**** Redevelopment - Erasing The Bonds Of Community <http://hammersphere.wordpress.com/2007/11/27/redevelopment-erasing-the-bonds-of-community/>
by Melvin Tan, Shaun Lee, and Andrew Loh, The Hammersphere

**** I Love Comfort Cab <http://smootie.blogspot.com/2007/11/i-love-comfort-cab.html>
by Smoot

**** Museums Should Be Opened For Free <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl071127_505.html>
by Xu Aiyun, Lianhe Zaobao

**** Singapore Enjoys Record Employment, Higher Wages <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_180913.html>
by Straits Times
Fuelled by the robust economy and abundant job opportunities, Singapore's employment rate continues to rise to a new high, driven mainly by more women and older people joining the workforce.

**** The Race To Rule The Airways <http://www.theage.com.au/news/news/who-rules-the-airways/2007/11/22/1195321930953.html>
by Danielle Teutsch, The Age
Singapore and Emirates set the standard for the rest of the pack. Here's how they measure up.

**** Bus, MRT And Chinese Restaurant Among Singapore's Noisiest Locations: Survey <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/313960/1/.html>
by Alicia Wong, Today
Taking a bus, getting on the MRT or having dinner in a Chinese restaurant - everyday activities that we hardly think twice about. Yet they may cause damage to y our hearing, according to the results of a Reader's Digest test released on Monday.

**** Thank You <http://catherinelim.sg/2007/11/27/thank-you/>
by Catherine Lim
For to offer an unabshedly honest, even if idiosyncratic, view is always a useful starting point in any discussion or debate.

**** It Works! It Works! <http://rot.blogsome.com/2007/11/25/it-works-it-works/>
by The Rot Within
Koo Tsai Kee demolishes straw men and makes glib leaps of reasoning in order to deliver his three messages.

**** Ministerial Salaries - 2Nd Upward Revision Soon <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/11/27/ministerial-salaries-%e2%80%93-2nd-upward-revision-soon/>
by Andrew Ong and Andrew Loh, theonlinecitizen
Government ministers have said, when defending their pay hike, that there never is a good time to increase salaries. That may be so but there also should be consideration for moral leadership.

**** Singapore Going All Out To Tempt Skilled Labour <http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.cfm?c_id=74&objectid=10478447>
by New Zealand Herald

**** Singapore Less Attractive To Expats: Survey <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/224228.asp>
by Today
Singapore may be gradually losing its competitive edge to regional rivals like Hong Kong as the rising cost of living deters expatriates from coming here.

**** New Guidelines On How Charities Should Be Run <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_180721.html>
by Radha Basu and Theresa Tan, Straits Times
It marks the first time that guidelines have been spelt out for all registered charities in Singapore.

**** Fees Or Fines, We Make It All The Easier <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-814.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

**** Government Failed To Curb Temasek 'Dominance', Says Watchdog <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_180735.html>
by Salim Osman, Straits Times
Indonesia's business competition watchdog is blaming the government for the case against Temasek Holdings. It said the government should have exercised its veto rights over top mobile phone operator Indosat to prevent the Singapore company's dominance in the telco.

**** Bloggers Want In On Panel's New Media Study <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_180774.html>
by Jeremy Au Yong, Straits Times
Worried that a study on new media would be too focused on expert views, bloggers are getting together to make themselves heard.

**** Not Feasible To Store Granite Under Soil, Turf <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_180798.html>
by William Tan, Building And Construction Authority, Straits Times

**** Leave The Beautiful Mandai Rainforest Alone <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_180797.html>
by George Pasqual, Straits Times
We do not need more hotels and chalets to denude whatever remaining greenery we have on this fast-urbanising island.