[MyAppleMenu] Nov 13, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Nov 13 13:15:00 EST 2007

**** O2 Activation System Creaks On iPhone Demand <http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=19664>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

**** Singapore's MobileOne Phone Operator Eyeing Acquisition Targets, Apple's iPhone <http://www.theage.com.au/news/Technology/Singapores-MobileOne-phone-operator-eyeing-acquisition-targetsApples-iPhone/2007/11/13/1194766670047.html>
by Associated Press
Singapore's third-largest telecommunications company MobileOne Ltd, or M1, is looking at overseas acquisition targets as its domestic market is already saturated, its chief executive Neil Montefiore said.
In addition, M1 is in discussions with Apple Inc. to bring the iPhone to Asia, Montefiore said.

**** iPod Touch Software Update Lets You Add, Enter Events <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/11/12/ipodtouch112/index.php>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
When the iPod touch was first released the seemingly arbitrary lack of event editing on the device disappointed a number of reviewers and iPod touch owners. Apple has apparently responded to this criticism.

**** Apple, China Mobile Discuss China iPhone <http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8SSISUG0.htm>
by Associated Press
China Mobile Ltd. is in talks with Apple Inc. about bringing the iPhone to China, but no agreement has been reached yet, the telecom's chief executive said Tuesday.
See Also:
Does China Mobile Want The iPhone? <http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2007/11/13/does-china-mobile-chl-want-the-iphone/>, by Douglas McIntyre, Blogging Stocks.

**** Technical Elegance <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2215488,00.asp>
by Tony Hoffman, PC Magazine
Although substance and performance are still critical to tech products, aesthetics no longer take a back seat to them. We give you seven devices that marry form and function.

**** Thanks To OS X, Microsoft Is Playing Catch-Up Again
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Triston Mcintype <http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2007/11/12/microsoft-windows-7-wishlist-leaked/>, writing in Tech.Blorge.com on the leaked wishlist of the next version of Windows: If Microsoft were to adopt all the recommendations made in this form, they'd have... well, they'd have OS X or Linux.
/Glad to see the Macintosh operating system being competitive again./

**** No Whoops Please, We're British! <http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10006405o-2000432356b,00.htm>
by ZDNet UK

**** Managing Your iTunes Library On An External Hard Drive <http://ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/>
by Jesse David Hollington, iLounge

**** Why Apple Spaces Is Broken <http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/why_apple_spaces_is_broken>
by Sun BabelFish Blog

**** Who, What, When We Want It <http://www.suntimes.com/news/cepeda/644529,CST-SPT-cepeda11.article>
by Esther J. Cepeda, Chicaco Sun-Times
iPod can be sports geek's all-encompassing radio and TV, putting everything from talking heads to fantasy football in your pocket.

**** Adobe CEO Chizen Stepping Down <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/11/12/adobeceo/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Elizabeth Montabano, IDG News Service

**** Apple Releases iPhone Update 1.1.2 <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/11/12/iphoneupdate/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Smart Phone Suggests Things To Do <http://www.technologyreview.com/Biztech/19698/>
by Kate Greene, MIT Technology Review
New software uses aritifical intelligence to infer your behavior and serve up appropriate lists of restaurants, stores, and events.

**** Down With Paper: A Review Of The Sony Reader <http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/sony-reader-review.ars>
by Nate Anderson, Ars Technica

**** Software For Rent <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/13/technology/13salesforce.html?_r=1&ex=1352610000&en=f714a1258934881e&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin>
by Gary Rivlin, New York Times
Salesforce promised to revolutionaize the way businesses buy software, and to a large extent it has accomplished that in one market niche: customer tracking.

**** Candidate <http://www.slate.com/id/2175522/fr/rss/>
by Frank Bidart, Slate

**** The Real Thing <http://relativechoices.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/12/the-real-thing/index.html?ex=1352696400&en=34c2d02ace1d5db7&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Tama Janowitz, New York Times
One thing I figure, whether adopted, mixed race, religious, non-religious, whethe ryour child is biological, whether you send her to Hebrew school or piano lessons &mdash; there is no one who does not resent his or her parents. We all have this in common. Indeed, it may be what makes us human.

**** From Ants To People, An Instinct To Swarm <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/13/science/13traff.html?ex=1352610000&en=d21a9a2aa82e7116&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Carl Zimmer, New York Times
If you have ever observed ants marching in and out of a nest, you might have been reminded of a highway buzzing with traffic. To Iain D. Couzin, such a comparison is a cruel insult &mdash; to the ants.
Ameicans spend a 3.7 million hours a year in congested traffic. But you never see ants stuck in gridlock.

**** $2B WOrth Of Public Projects To Be Pushed Back <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Money/STIStory_176442.html>
by Straits Times
Several public projects in the pipeline worth some $2 billion are to be pushed back by at least two years to 2010 and beyond, as part of a government move to ease pressure on construction resources in Singapore and the capacity crunch.

**** Singapore Presnce On Pulau Batu Puteh Is With Johor's Consent, Says Malaysia <http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=296001>
by Bernama
Malaysia opened its oral arguments before the International Court of Justice today dismissing Singapore's claim of sovereignty over Pulau Batu Puteh, saying that the island state was merely allowed to operate a lighthouse there.

**** Perhaps The Minister Is A Little Confused <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2007/11/perhaps-minister-is-little-confused.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
In summary, what is minister Lim's advice to you? To deal with inflation, lower your standard of living.
Wow, and for telling you that, he even gets a world-class ministerial slary. I bet inflation doesn't bother him much.

**** Save Money The Elitist Way <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/173464.html>
by Mollymeek

**** Singapore's MobileOne Phone Operator Eyeing Acquisition Targets, Apple's iPhone <http://www.theage.com.au/news/Technology/Singapores-MobileOne-phone-operator-eyeing-acquisition-targetsApples-iPhone/2007/11/13/1194766670047.html>
by Associated Press
Singapore's third-largest telecommunications company MobileOne Ltd, or M1, is looking at overseas acquisition targets as its domestic market is already saturated, its chief executive Neil Montefiore said.
In addition, M1 is in discussions with Apple Inc. to bring the iPhone to Asia, Montefiore said.

**** Subsidised Petrol 'Not For Foreigners' <http://www.asianewsnet.net/news.php?aid=13368>
by The Star
The government has been urged t stop Singaporeans from filling up their vehicles with subsidised petrol and diesel in Malaysia. Khalid Mohamad, Umno Youth chief for Johor Baru, said that the government should not allow foreigners to enjoy subsidised petrol any more.

**** Malaysia's Turn To Present Oral Arguments Tuesday <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=295581>
by Nor Faridah A. Rashid, Bernama
The International Court of Justice (ICJ) will hear Malaysia's oral arguments on the dispute over the sovereignty of Pulau Batu Puteh, the Middle Rocks and South Ledge, on Tuesday.
See Also:
Pedra Branca Hearing Resumes With Malaysia's Presentation <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/311228/1/.html>, by May Wong, Channel NewsAsia.

**** High Cost Of Living? Buy Cheaper Products, Says Minister <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/11/13/higher-food-prices-buy-cheaper-food-says-minister/>
by theonlinecitizen
If people are complaining about higher prices, it is no answer to tell them to find cheaper goods. The point of the complaint is that people are finding it difficult to find cheaper goods.
/No bread? Eat cake!/

**** Singapore Review Group Says No To Full LIberalisation Of Legal Market <http://www.thelawyer.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=129884&d=415&h=417&f=416>
by Malar Velaigam, TheLawyer.com

**** Need For Better Transport System Between IDR, Singapore <http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=295721>
by Bernama
There is a need for better connectivity via land and sea between Singapore and the Iskandar devleopment Region (IDR) as investments into the economic corridor start pouring in. Johor Menteri Besar Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman said ministers from both sides had agreed that there should be more efficient transportation linkages in place between the IDR and Singapore to enable both parties to reap mutual benefits.

**** AWOL? <http://yawshinleong.blogspot.com/2007/11/awol.html>
by Yaw Shin Leong
The way how PAP's troopers reacted and how Mr Lee responded merely exposed their genuine concerns of PAP's support erosion in Aljunied GRC.

**** Need A Cab In CBD? Get To A Taxi Stand <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_176194.html>
by Maria Almenoar and Jessica Lim, Straits Times

>From March next year, commuters will need to find a taxi stand if they want a cab in the Central Business District. The Land Transport Authority yesterday announced the new rule, and said that it is meant to improve road safety. Commuters will have to get a tax from a taxi stand - and even if you book one, it must pick you up at a stand.

**** Will New Penalties Make 'Disappearing' Taxis Reappear? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/221833.asp>
by Leong Wee Keat, Today