[MyAppleMenu] Nov 10, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Nov 10 13:15:01 EST 2007

**** Not Sensible, But, Oh, The Joy Of It! <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/nov/10/iphone1>
by Stephen Fry, The Guardian
Beauty. Charm. Delight. Excitement. Ooh. Aah. Wow! Let me at it.

**** I Came, I Saw, I Conquered <http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=1783942007>
by Shan Ross, Scotsman.com
They huddled under umbrellas, wrapped in sleeping bags through a stormy November night &mdash; just to be at the front of the queue to get a new mobile phone costing &pound;269.

**** iPhone Finally Launches In UK <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2214735,00.asp>
by Sara Driscoll, eWeek

**** Hackers Claim Unlock For iPhone V1.1.2 <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/11/09/unlock.for.iphone.v112/>
by MacNN

**** Apple, Intel Among Those Facing Renewed Suit Over PCI Express <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/11/09/apple_intel_among_those_facing_renewed_suit_over_pci_express.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider
Having proven that its technology is patentable, Microlinc LLC has filed suit against ten large coputing firms claimng patent infringement through use of PCI Express bus.

**** The Mysteries Of iCal, Revealed! <http://jens.ayton.se/blag/the-mysteries-of-ical-revealed/>
by Ahruman's Webthing

**** Logic Studio: All-In-One Music Creation Package Is Easier To Use, More Playable <http://www.macworld.com/2007/11/reviews/logicstudio/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Kim, Macworld
Logic Studio is extremely effective at providing an extensive tool kit and then getting out of your creative way. The streamlined, fewer clicks-to-music philosophy throughout, combined with more precise tools for audio editing and surround, make this a landmark release.

**** 10,000 iPhones Sold In Germany On Launch <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/11/09/germany.10k.iphones.sold/>
by MacNN

**** Movie Rentals Are Baked Into The Latest Version Of iTunes <http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/11/09/movie-rentals-are-baked-into-the-latest-version-of-itunes/>
by Erick Schonfeld, TechCrunch
/Either that, or Apple is throwing out red herrings./

**** First Look: EVE Online <http://www.macworld.com/2007/11/features/eveonline/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
EVE Online is an MMOG of a very different color, and if you're looking for a game with incredibly deep and challenging game play, this is it. EVE Online makes World of Warcraft look like Minesweeper.

**** Sandvox <http://www.macnn.com/reviews/sandvox.html>
by Rick Curran and Ilene Hoffman, MacNN
Sandvox is an exciting web page creation software with plenty of features, designed to help you create a site with no previous experience.

**** Will Apple Nickel And Dime iPhone Users To Death? <http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/11/will_apple_nick.html>
by Barbara Krasnoff, InformationWeek

**** Keeping Up With Gisele <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ba4e5c6a-8e82-11dc-87ee-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1>
by Chrystia Freeland, Financial Times
Living in a time when it is OK to show footage of a cavorting model in a bikini and call it business news does pose a couple of challenges for the ordinary working girl.

**** Howling At The Moon <http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10102893>
by The Economist
America should keep its cool about the technological threat posed by China and India.

**** Singapore Land Authority Makes 284 State Fields Available For Public Use <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/310768/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
The Singapore Land Authority is making 284 state fields available for publi cuse, and more than half of them are located near housing estates and within easy reach of the public.

**** Opposition Gets A Helping Hand <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2007/11/10/columnists/insightdownsouth/19421519&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
Low &mdash; with leadership style a mixture of heartland appeal and good grassroots organisation &mdash; could just pull off a surprise. For one thing, he has succeeded in attracting a number of young articulate professionals.
What Low does has already had an impact on the level mainstream politics. Gone are the days of demonstrations and heated quarrels over race and religion.

**** Charities Can Keep Funds For Up To 5 Years <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/221435.asp>
by Today
Charities and other grant-making philanthropic institutions will not need to disburse a minimum percentage of funds annually. And they will be given five years, instead of two, to disburse donations.
These two changes to the government's proposed philanthropy initiatives are being made after 23 responses were received from the public following the release of a consultation paper in July.

**** Nasal Straws In The Wind <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-805.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
There were 3 notable &mdash; to me, at least &mdash; moments in the wake of the unsuccessful parliamentary petittion to repeal Section 377A of the Penal Code. Amidst the sound and fury, readers may not have seen their significance, but I have a funny feeling they're straws in the wind &mdash; indicators of what the future may bring.

**** MPs Should Be Able To Speak Their Minds Freely <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_175422.html>
by Daniel Koh Kah Soon, Straits Times
Any MP - and any thoughtful Singaporeans - should be free to share his views without fearor favour, and none of them should be subject to any threat.
/Huh? Why restrict to only MPs and "thoughtful Singaporeans"? Anyone &mdash; thoughtful or otherwise, Singaporeans or otherwise &mdash; should be able to express themselves freely. No threats. Even if we say we don't want to enforce the threats./

**** North, South, East, West Directions Best <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_175420.html>
by John Lim Meng Fong, Straits Times
Road signboards can be confusing and should be amended.
/I agree. :-)/

**** What Are Their GRC Chances? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/221432.asp>
by P N Balji, Today
Looking at its performances in the three very close GRC fights in the last 20 years, the Workers' Party appears to have a fighting chance. Political watchers think so, too.

**** Evidence Points To Singapore's Ownership Of Pedra Branca: DPM Jayakumar <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/310687/1/.html>
by May Wong, Channel NewsAsia
Singapore's deputy prime minister S Jayakumar said the dispute over the sovereignty of Pedra Branca is a straightforward case. He said evidence clearly points to Singapore's ownership of the island, as he concluded four days of oral argument at the International Court of Justice.
See Also:
KL's Claim At Odds With Its Actions, Jaya Argues <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_175228.html>, by Lydia Lim, Straits Times.
See Also:
Public Sitting <http://www.icj-cij.org/docket/files/130/14177.pdf>, Held On Friday 9 November 2007, At 10 a.m., At The Peace Palace, Vice-President Al-Khasawneh, Acting President, Presiding, In The Case Concerning Sovereignty Over Pedra Branca/Pulau Batu Puteh, Middle Rocks And South Ledge (Malaysia/Singapore). (Note: PDF document.)

**** Nationalwide Scheme, But PAP First... <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/171802.html>
by Mollymeek
So sleep-inducing that I think I can do without sleeping pills tonight.