[MyAppleMenu] Nov 2, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Nov 2 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** .Mac Problems Persist Despite Apple Efforts <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/11/02/mac.problems.continue/>
by MacNN

**** iStat Menus 1.2 Monitors Your Mac's Innards <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/11/02/istat-menus-1-2-monitors-your-macs-innards/>
by Mike Schramm, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** Leopard Early Adopters Suffer For The Rest Of Us <http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9809571-37.html>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
Most Leopard users seem satisfied. But there have been a fair amount of complaints from those who were first down the road to Leopard.
/Count me among the satisfied. Yes, I have to choose a different desktop picture because of the stupid translucent menu bar. The computer did kernel-panic-ed on me once after, apparently, losing wireless network connection. But, overall, I'm satisfied./

**** IP Firm Sues... Everyone For WiFi Patent Infringement <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071101-ip-firm-sues-apple-intel-sony-netgear-others-for-wifi-patent-infringement.html>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica
Another day, another patent infringement lawsuit. This time, Canada-based Wi_LAN has filed two suits against 22 total companies that it alleges hve infringed on its patents relating to WiFi and power consumption in DSL products.

**** Apple's Leopard Is A Developer's Delight <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=software_development&articleId=9045119&taxonomyId=63&intsrc=kc_feat>
by Michael DeAgonia, Computerworld
Revamped core technologies make coding easier, more exciting for software developers.

**** Apple Releases Fix For iMac Freezing Issue <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/11/01/imacupdate/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** MacBook Pro Update Improves Graphics Stability <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/11/01/macbookprosoftware/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Spotlight Strikes Back: In Leopard, It Works Great <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9283>
by Matt Neuburg, TidBITS
Spotlight in Leopard is what Spotlight in Tiger should have been but wasn't.

**** Leopard's Gems Replacements, Part 2 <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2007/11/leopardgems2/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** Invention Of The Year: The iPhone <http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1678581,00.html>
by Lev Grossman, Time
The thing is hard to type on. It's too slow. It's too big. It doesn't have instant messaging. It's too expensive. (Or, no, wait, it's too cheap!) It doesn't support my work e-mail. It's locked to AT&amp;T. Steve Jobs secretly hates puppies. And&mdash;all together now&mdash;we're sick of hearing about it! Yes, there's been a lot of hype written about the iPhone, and a lot of guff too. So much so that it seems weird to add more, after Danny Fanboy and Bobby McBlogger have had their day. But when the day is over, Apple's iPhone is still the best thing invented this year. Why? Five reasons.

**** The Other $15 Billion Question: How Will Apple Spend Its Cash? <http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news/2007/11/apple_cash>
by Bryan Gardiner, Wired
With more money on hand than it's ever had, the question is: What exactly will Apple do with that pile?
It's easier to predict what the company /won't/ do. If analysts agree on anything, it is that the company will not be making any major acquisitions. It's simply not in Apple's DNA.

**** Mac OS X Runs Deleted Applications <http://pyile.com/2007/11/mac-os-x-runs-deleted-applications/>
by Pyile
Time machine has made a copy in your time machine backup that Mac OS X will cheerfully launch without a warning.

**** MacBooks Bumped To Santa Rosa, But No Aluminum In Sight <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/11/01/macbooks-bumped-to-santa-rosa-but-no-aluminum-in-sight>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica
Apple discreetly slipped out an update to the MacBook line overnight, which now sports Intel's MA X3100. This also means that the MacBook processor has been bumped to match the Santa Rosa architecture in the MacBook Pro.
See Also:
Apple Updates MacBook, MacBook Pro <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/11/01/macbookupdate/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>, by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld. Apple has also added new build-to-order options for the pro-level MacBook Pro.

**** Flash Player Updated For Leopard, Flash-Dependent Nerds Rejoice <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/11/01/flash-player-updated-for-leopard-flash-dependent-nerds-rejoice>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica

**** A Space Of One's Own <http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/429/a-space-of-ones-own>
by Daniel Jalkut, Red Sweater Blog
Dismissing a modal sheet in an application causes Spaces to awkwardly zoom that application's space back into vision.

**** After Years Of Use, E-Voting Gets First Real Federal Testing Guidelines <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071102-after-years-of-use-e-voting-gets-first-real-federal-testing-guidelines.html>
by Jon Stokes, Ars Technica

**** The Eee PC Is Here <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9809393-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Erica Ogg, CNET News.com

**** Google Goes After Facebook With New OpenSocial Social Networking API (Updated: Now With More MySpace) <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071101-google-goes-after-facebook-with-new-opensocial-social-networking-api.html>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

**** Literature's Antidote To Hate <http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-oz1nov01,0,233382.story?coll=la-opinion-rightrail>
by Amos Oz, Los Angeles Times
I believe in literature as a bridge between peoples. I believe curiosity can be a moral quality. I believe imagining the other can be an antidote to fanaticism. Imagining the other will make you not only a better busnessperson or a better lover but even a better person.

**** About 600 Motorists Caught Speeding Every Day Since New KPE Opened <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/309287/1/.html>
by Julia Ng, Channel NewsAsia
Many people do not know there are now digital speed camerasoperating 24 hours a day in the tunnel. And many motorists are not fully aware that the speed limit in the tunnel is 70 kilometres per hour, not 90 kilometres per hour as in some expressways.

**** SDP Applies For Protest Permit During ASEAN Summit <http://singabloodypore.rsfblog.org/archive/2007/11/02/sdp-applies-for-protest-permit-during-asean-summit.html>
by Singapore Democratic Party, Singabloodypore

**** Brits Behaving Badly Set Off Singapore 'Net Furore <http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/news/2007/11/brits_behaving_badly_set_off_s_1.html>
by Kevin Anderson, The Guardian
Three British tourists who posted a video of themselves laughing at their elderly trishaw driver in Singapore have set off a firestorm of criticism and abuse in the net savvy nation.

**** Singapore's Green Cards Attract Millionaires: "Weekend Spouses" In The Lion City <http://www.chinareviewnews.com/doc/1004/8/2/4/100482496.html?coluid=49&kindid=974&docid=100482496&mdate=1102094620>
by China Review News
More and more people gain Singapore's Green Card for children's education, tax advantages, and retirement.

**** Public Housing Or Privilege Housing? <http://youngpapblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/public-housing-or-privilege-housing.html>
by Donald Aw, Young PAP Blog
It is timely to re-look at the way the HDB resale market has evolved to and to create a system that will not penalize the genuine buyers who are unable to afford to buy these sort of units in matur eestates at such prices. We should send a clear signal that those who stay in these public housing in mature estate are privileged and not that only those who are financially privileged can stay in these public housing.

**** Is Workers' Party A Failure? WP Chief Says He Is Merely A Watchdog <http://urbanrant.blogspot.com/2007/11/is-workers-party-failure-wp-chief-says.html>
by Urbanrant
To hear Low's lack of ambition loud and clear is a blow to his supporters.
/I'd say he is definitely right to set expectation low. Under-promise and over-deliver is what every sales man (whatever you are selling) should do. The question is: can WP over-deliver?/

**** Who Will Fill Singapore's Online Media Vacuum? <http://journalism.sg/2007/11/01/who-will-fill-singapores-online-media-vacuum/>
by Terence Lee, Journalism.sg
Singapore is now experiencing an "Online Media Vacuum", where the lack of easy online access to credible local journalism is driving readers to the next best alternatives - blogs and foreign newspapers.

**** Uniquely Singapore, F1 Or F9: Means Testing To Help The Poor? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/11/01/uniquely-singapore-f1-or-f9-means-testing-to-help-the-poor/>
by Leong Sze Hian, theonlinecitizen

**** The Potential Merits And Limits Of A Punitive ERP <http://www.thevoiddeck.org/index.php?itemid=335>
by The Void Deck

**** Reminisces Of The Library at orchard <http://blog.simplyjean.com/2007/11/01/reminisces-of-the-libraryorchard/>
by Simply Me. Simply Jean.

**** Ake Green And THe Freedom To Monger Hate <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-803.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
Why does our state make this distinction between offending race and religion and other types of offence?

**** The SIngapore Path To Peaceful Co-Existence <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_172758.html>
by Azmi Hassan, Utusan Malaysia, Straits Times
Singapore has been able to survive and thrive in the Malay archipelago because its leaders have been most pragmatic in fostering bilateral ties with its neighbours. It is time for Singapore leaders to use four decades of experience as an independent nation to advise Israel and the US that a biased strategy will not bring a solution to the Palestinian issue.

**** Speed Up Liberalisation: PM <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/219972.asp>
by Lee U-Wen, Today
ASEAN members should 'step up discussions' to free up the skies in the region, so as to better ride on the rapid growth in air travel, said prime minister Lee Hsien Loong.