[MyAppleMenu] Nov 1, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Nov 1 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Inside Leopard: Under-The-Hood <http://www.macworld.com/2007/10/features/leopard_terminal_x11/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Rob Griffiths and James Galbraith, Macworld
Terminal, X11, and Disk Utility may not be the stuff of headlines, but there are enough significant changes here to radically affect how you interact with Mac OS X.

**** Apple's Microsoft-Devouring Jungle Cat <http://www.slate.com/id/2177073/fr/rss/>
by Harry McCracken, Slate
How Leopard demolishes Vista.

**** Leopard Redefines 'What Personal Computing Looks Like' <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9044878&source=rss_topic123>
by Michael Gartenberg, Computerworld

**** Apple To Allow Virtualization Of Leopard <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9277>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS
In a notable about-face, Apple has changed its stance with regard to allowing Mac OS X Server to be run inside a virtual machine, much as Parallels Desktop and VMware Fusion make it possible to run Windows and other PC-based operating systems on a Mac.

**** Mission: Possible <http://www.smh.com.au/news/how-tos/mission-possible/2007/10/31/1193618940976.html>
by Garry Barker, Sydney Morning Herald
What will it mean for us when the iPhone finally gets here.
See Also:
Australia's Telstra In iPhone Talks With Apple <http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/australias-telstra-iphone-talks-apple/story.aspx?guid=%7B4500C24C%2DCD5E%2D4D33%2DABB5%2D4D74014319E6%7D>, by Andrew Harrision, MarketWatch.

**** Image Is Everything <http://jonwhipple.com/blog/2007/10/29/image-is-everything/>
by Jettison Canopy
A few weeks ago with the release of Pixelmator, I dashed off a few first impressions comparing it to Acorn, a new contender in the Mac OS X image editing softscape. Since those first impressions, I have been giving a lot of thought to this, and other graphic and image processing applications have come to my attention. So here's the scoop.

**** iPod Classic: The Day The Music Died <http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_tech/article3113415.ece>
by Rebecca Armstrong, Independent
The new software update for the iPod classic has left many users at their wits' end.

**** How To Get Gmail's IMAP, Leopard, And The iPhone Working Together <http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/10/struggling_to_g.html>
by Mitch Wagner, InformationWeek

**** Mac OS Malware Targets Porn Surfers <http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9808489-37.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
Intego, a Mac security software company, issued an alert Wednesday warning Mac users of the OSX.RSPlug.A malware, which it describes as a Trojan horse.

**** Future Reading <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/11/05/071105fa_fact_grafton>
by Anthony Grafton, New Yorker
Digitization and its discontents.

**** Stick Figure <http://www.slate.com/id/2177109/fr/rss/>
by Henry Petroski, Slate
The marketing genius who brought us the toothpick.

**** What's Wrong With Sports Illustrated <http://www.slate.com/id/2177143/fr/rss/>
by Josh Levin, Slate
An avid sports fan can now read /Sports Illustrated/ without learning anything new.

**** Death Penalty &amp; Poverty In Singapore <http://aussgworldpolitics.wordpress.com/2007/11/01/death-penalty-poverty-in-singapore/>
by Readings From A Political Duo-ble

**** No One City Likely To Become Asian Financial Hub <http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=123113>
by DPA
A top London-based banker predicted that no single city will emerge as Asia's undisputed financial hub in the next decade, a news report said Tuesday.

**** Malaysia's Decision To Open Up KL-Singapore Air Services Hailed <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=293407>
by Bernama
See Also:
Talks With Singapore On Firefly's Request Next Month <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=293417>, by Bernama.

**** Love, Love, Love Singapore! <http://zimpix.com/wordpress/?p=46>
by The Two Tigers
When I read that the two things that SIngaporeans love to do were eating and shopping, I should've known that this is the city for me.

**** Taxi Touting: Greed And Naivety <http://tehsitalk.blogspot.com/2007/10/taxi-touting-greed-and-naivety.html>
by The Universe Within

**** The Long Arm Of The US Treasury? <http://perspectives.singaporeangle.com/2007/10/the_long_arm_of_the_us_treasur_1.html>
by Singapore Angle

**** Political Popularity And Power: My Take On The S377A Issue <http://udders.blogspot.com/2007/10/political-popularity-and-power-my-take.html>
by I Have Succumbed To Peer Pressure
I think the inherent fear in most of the MPs is that if the majority of the electorate really does not condone homosexuality, but their MPs are seen to hold a position contrary to theirs, it might affect which way the votes of said electorate swing in the future.

**** I Didn't Know They Were Making Fun Of Me <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,146408,00.html?>
by Elysa Chen, Liew Hanqing and Tan May Ping, New Paper

**** The Singpaore You Haven't Seen <http://www.asianewsnet.net/visitasia.php?aid=13147>
by Sirinya Wattanasukchai, The Nation
Long hailed as a shopper's paradise, Singapore has decided that shopping alone can no longer bring in the tourists - at least no more than once. The island-state's tourism board is instead now touting "52 Uniquely Singapore Weekends".

**** Not Enough 'Wow' In Big Makeover? <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_172461.html>
by Lim Wei Chean, Straits Times
Busineses are cheered by the $40 million overhaul to Orchard Road's pavements, street furniture and lighting, but they are also asking: 'Is that it?'

**** Polarisation Beginning To Surface After S377A Debate <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_172399.html>
by Alex Tan Tuan Loy, Straits Times

**** Whatever Became Of Aircon On SMRT Trains? <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_172485.html>
by Jan Lai Yoke Wah, Straits Times
Instead of air-conditioned cool air, hot air came down on the commuters!
/Maybe this is the 'revenge' SMRT pulled after its fare hike request for trains was not approved. After all, the coolness of the air-con is not part of the service agreement. :-)/

**** 20 Years For Workers' Party To Match PAP? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/219824.asp>
by Today
Secretary-general Low Thia Kiang wants WP to be respected and reliable first.
See Also:
Greater Openness Here Now, Says WP Chief <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_172479.html>, by Straits Times.