[MyAppleMenu] Jun 16, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 16 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Eric Schmidt With iPhone <http://hanworks.blogspot.com/2007/06/eric-schmidt-with-iphone-photos.html>
by HanWorks Research

**** iLust For iPhone <http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/chi-0616edit1jun16,1,4336843.story?track=rss&ctrack=1&cset=true>
by Chiacgo Tribune
In the coming weeks, you will be able to tell the techno-hip from the rest of us. They'll have the iPhone. We won't.

**** WWDC 2007 Epilogue <http://theocacao.com/document.page/481>
by Scott Steven, Theocacao
This has been one incredible week. I put a lot of faces to names for the first time, learned about what sort of apps are in development, and found out that there are a lot of newcomers to the platform. The thing I couldn't get over all week long was the sheer number of people there.

**** The iPhone Will Fly And Keep Flying <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2146892,00.asp>
by Tim Bajarin, PC Magazine
It will fly off the shelves and continue to gain consumer interest and demand.

**** My Safari For Windows Theory <http://www.allpeers.com/blog/2007/06/15/my-safari-for-windows-theory/>
by Peer Pressure
Could it be that Apple plans to release its own APIs for offline apps in Safari?

**** Safari For WIndows... But Why? <http://gigaom.com/2007/06/15/safari-for-windows-but-why/>
by Om Malik, GigaOM
Every time I ask someone why aren't you switching to a Mac, they show fear of having to relearn everything. What if Apple gives out small doses of Apple experience, slowly trying to overcome their fear of re-learning?

**** Why No iPhone SDK? <http://www.scripting.com/stories/2007/06/15/whyNoIphoneSdk.html>
by Dave Winer, Scripting News
There's one application, for sure, that could mess up not just Cingular's West Coast network, but the whole idea of an internet-capable PDA with wifi that wants to be a conventional cell phone. It's called Skype, and it really worries the phone companies.

**** A Third-Party MagSafe Solution? <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mobile/2007/06/mctmagsafe/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** iPhone Headset Sees Last-Minute FCC Nod <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/06/15/iphone.headset.fcc.filing/>
by MacNN
Apple's first Bluetooth headset has been approved just two weeks before its parent iPhone's launch, according to a new FCC filing made public today.

**** A Second Look At The MacBook Pro LED-Backlit Screen <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/06/15/asecond-look-at-the-macbook-pro-led-backlit-screen>
by Iljitsch van Beijnum, Ars Technica

**** Apple Picks A Fight It Can't Win <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9024799&pageNumber=1>
by Mike Elgan, Computerworld
Wy Safari for Windows will leave Apple bruised and bloodied.

**** Quake Creator's Mac Support Offer Should Be A Boon <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/gameroom/2007/06/idtech5/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Id's continued support of the Mac market means that other games that use the same game-engine technology will have an easier time coming to the Mac.

**** iSale 4.1: Feature-Packed Software Makes Listing Auctios On eBay A Snap <http://www.macworld.com/2007/06/reviews/isale41/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Tony Bojorquez, Macworld
Its strength comes from its easy-to-use interface and tight integration with Apple software. However, high-volume eBay sellers may find that the program's bulk-processing limitations slow down the listing process.

**** Apple To License Interface Technology As Part Of Settlement <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/15/apple_to_license_interface_technology_as_part_of_settlement.html>
by AppleInsider
Apple has reached an out-of-court settlement with little-known intellectual property agency IP Innovation LLC, which earlier this year alleged that the Mac maker's universal use of tabs in its Tiger operating system infringed on a 20-year old interface patent.

**** Incremental Feature Search In Applications <http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000887.html>
by Jeff Atwood, Coding Horror
As applications get larger and more complicated, incremental search is also useful for navigating the sea of features that modern applications offer.

**** Hidden Tokyo <http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/06/17/travel/17tokyo.html?ex=1339732800&en=a4c8ab690127a0f3&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Julia Chaplin, New York Times
Such hidden nightspots have become all the rage among a certain Tokyo set &mdash; weaned on anime and text messaging &mdash; that has graduated from dancing under the strobe lights at big western-style nightclubs.

**** A Sleek, Power-Seeking Machine <http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/politicsphilosophyandsociety/0,,2104018,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=10>
by Barbara Ehrenreich, The Guardian
The question of who Hiliary is seems almost too anthropomorphic.

**** 'Can We Hold Exercise In Orchard Road?' <http://www.littlespeck.com/region/CForeign-Ind-070616.htm>
by Little Speck
It's clear now: internal Jakarta politics, not Singapore action, killed it.

**** Weighed Down By Rising Costs <http://www.thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2007/6/16/columnists/insightdownsouth/18028760&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
Prices of everything, including daily necessities, are rising and people, particularly the middle class and the lower-income group, are feeling it the most. There are no signs of letting up and what is hurting Singaporeans may be a boon to its neighbours.

**** Singapore Kitchen <http://www.smh.com.au/news/restaurant-reviews/singapore-kitchen/2007/06/15/1181414518055.html>
by Helen Greenwood, Sydney Morning Herald
Agnes Wong turns out rich, fragrant dishes at a plain and simple eatery.

**** God Also Must Take A Number <http://smootie.blogspot.com/2007/06/god-also-must-take-number.html>
by Smoot
To put things in perspective, this is a client with more than US$20 million ready for deposit into the account. They picked Singapore to set up their holding company because everyone says we are efficient. In fact we claim loud and clear to be a first class financial and banking centre. DBS is the largest bank in Singapore. We are at their main branch with all of the documents they need to change the signatory. What the hell did we do wrong? Why does it take 10 working days to process?

**** Life On Sentosa's Reefs <http://wildfilms.blogspot.com/2007/06/life-on-sentosas-reefs.html>
by Wildfilms
It was very early on during a new moon but the dark shores were very much alive!

**** Singapore Government Baffled By Human Trafficking Downgrade By US <http://jurnalo.com/jurnalo/storyPage.do?story_id=42234>
by Jurnalo
The Singapore government said Saturday it is baffled by the downgrading of the city-state in a US report on how countries deal with human trafficking.

**** Singapore And Singapore Airlines <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaileditorial.asp?fileid=20070616.F05&irec=4>
by Masud Fazal Elahi, Jakarta Post
I have lived and traveled to many countries but I never encountered a situation like this.

**** PAN Issues Rejection Of Defense Deal <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailnational.asp?fileid=20070616.H06&irec=5>
by Ridwan Max Sijabat, Jakarta Post
Shawdowing the stance taken by the United Development Party (PPP), the National Mandate Party (PAN) faction at the house of representatives declared Friday it would not ratify the Indonesia-Singapore defense cooperation agreement, dubbing it a betrayal of the 1945 constitution.

**** RI Wants More Talks On Singapore Defense Pact <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailheadlines.asp?fileid=20070616.A05&irec=4>
by Abdul Khalik, Jakarta Post
Citing disputed issues in the Defense Cooperation Agreement (DCA) with Singapore, Indonesia has asked the city-state to resolve the differences through further negotiations to avoid future misunderstandings.
Indonesian foreign ministry spokesman Kristiarto Soeryo Legowo said Friday that while Indonesia called for more detailed agreements before the DCA could take effect, Singapore asserted the treaty could be implemented as is.

**** Checks In Place To Ensure SingPost Doesn't Profit From GST Hike: ISA <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/194727.asp>
by Ho Hwei Ling, Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore, Today
We have ensured that SingPost does not recover more than the GST increase.

**** Sleepless In Singapore <http://www.asianewsnet.net/lifestyle.php?aid=10370>
by Jessica Jaganathan, Straits Times
Activities like watching TV and chatting online have greatly cut into teens' sleeping time.

**** Many Forced To Downgrade After Going For En Bloc Sale <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_129843.html>
by Ng Sook Zhen and Kausar Shaik, Straits Times
The reason: Their payout is not enough to buy similar-size units in same area due to rising prices.

**** En Bloc Blues <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_129832.html>
by Fiona Chan and Joyce Teo, Straits Times
En bloc blues are not a new phenomenon, property players say. But they are being sung louder now simply because they are being played on more channels.

**** Wages Up 5% As Job Market Powers Ahead <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_129758.html>
by Sue-Ann Chia, Straits Times
Official figures released yesterday show jobs that saw the best pay rises were in the booming real estate and financial services industries.

**** Ample Alternatives, No Plans For Satellite TV <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_129662.html>
by Ling Pek Ling, Media Development Authority of Singapore, Straits Times
StarHub Cable Vision Ltd is not the only pay-TV operator in Singapore.

**** Tax Reliefs Not Meant To Offset Cost Of Living <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_129660.html>
by Cheong Swee Ying, Ministry of Finance, Straits Times
These reliefs recognise the taxpayer's support for his or her family, but are not meant to approximate the actual cost of doing so. Hence, they are not pegged to inflation or the cost of living.

**** Singaporeans Have Priority In University Admission <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_129661.html>
by Perry Lim, Ministry of Education, Straits Times
The ministry of education and the three universities have increased the number of places this year to cater to the larger Dragon Year cohort.

**** Anger On The Campus Of Despair <http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/national/anger-on-the-campus-of-despair/2007/06/15/1181414542302.html>
by Harriet Alexander, Bisbane Times
When professor Hilmer flew out of Singapore after announcing plans to close the campus 3 1/2 weeks ago he left the city-state seething in his wake.

**** NSmen Insurance, Singaporeans 1St &amp; Other Issues... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2007/06/nsmen-insurance-singaporeans-1st-other.html>
by Diary Of A Singapore Mind

**** Funny THings About Singaporean Men <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/funny-things-about-singaporean-men.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
One, they like to put flowers that they buy for their other half inside paper bags. Two, they always form a nice cosy group outside lingerie stores or departments.

**** Centralised Database Administrator Appointed BY IDA <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/282541/1/.html>
by Julia Ng, Channel NewsAsia