[MyAppleMenu] Jun 15, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jun 15 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Earrings For Web Mistresses
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Here's a pair of HTML earrings <http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6045947> for the geeks in your life. :-)

**** Steve Jobs: Struggling To Redefine The TV Paradigm <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/15/apple_tv_hurdles/>
by The Register
The picture around Apple TV is starting to clear with some rumours and snippets revealed this week.

**** Mac Developers Weigh Safari Potential As iPhone App Platform <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2146585,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
by Daniel Drew Turner, eWeek

**** Newest iPod Ad Star: Sir Paul McCartney <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/14/newest-ipod-ad-star-sir-paul-mccartney/>
by Scott McNulty, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** Life At WWDC <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/06/wwdcoverview/index.php>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld

**** A Picture's Worth 100M Users??? <http://john.jubjubs.net/2007/06/14/a-pictures-worth-100m-users/>
by John Lilly, Mozilla
This world view that Steve gave a glimpse into betrays their thinking: it's out-of-date, corporate-controlled, duopoly-oriented, not-the-web thinking. And it's not good for the web. Which is sort of moot, I think, because I don't think this 2 party world will really come to be.

**** Game On For Apple <http://features.us.reuters.com/techlife/news/L13874801.html>
by Scott Hillis, Reuters
Macs are finally gaining some credibility in the gaming world thanks to faster processors and growing market share that make them a viable business opportunity for publishers.

**** Apple Reports 1 Million Safari For Windows Downloads <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/06/14/safaridl/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Mac BU: Office 2008 On Track <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/06/14/office.2008.on.track/>
by MacNN

**** Safari 3.0 Install Snafu Cripples Some Macs <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9024782&source=rss_topic123>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Beta testers have to figure out a fix on their own.

**** The Tech Lab: Dave Winer <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6748103.stm>
by Dave Winer, BBC News
I'm a blogger, therefore I like to write short two or three paragraph essays on things I care about. The BBC asked me to write an 800-word column on new technology I want, but being a blogger, instead I want to write about five or six things in 200 words each. That's what bloggers do.

**** Eating Beyond Sichuan <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/15/opinion/15zagat.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Nina Zagat and Tim Zagat, New York Times
When authentic Chinese cuisines reach our shores, we can expect a revolution in ingredients and styles that will change the way we prepare food for years to come.

**** Bush's Blank Check <http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2007/06/15/war_budget/index_np.html>
by Robert Dreyfuss, Salon
Do we really need to spend more than a trillion dollars a year to defeat small groups of terrorist fanatics?

**** Miscellaneous Rambles <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2007/06/miscellaneous-rambles.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
Maybe the best way is really just not to care.

**** Electricity Tariffs To Be Raised By Almost 9% From July <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/282423/1/.html>
by Foo Siew Shyan, Channel NewsAsia
SP Services attributes thie hike to higher fuel oil prices, which had gone up by about 20 per cent compared to the current quarter.

**** Skewed Demand Led To Squeeze On Varsity Places <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_129638.html>
by Straits Times
More students who are well-qualified to pursue the hard sciences and engineering courses in the universities are opting for the 'softer' courses such as business and the humanities this year.

**** The Great Singapore Sale <http://estherish.wordpress.com/2007/06/07/the-great-singapore-sale/>
by The World According To Esther

**** UK Researcher Attacks Singapore Again, MOH Rejects Claims <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_129523.html>
by Straits Times

**** ICA Tightens Security Of Non-Biometric Passports <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/282431/1/.html>
by Foo Siew Shyan, Channel NewsAsia

>From 1 September, Immigration and Checkpoints Authority will no longer allow photo-update services for those holding non-biometric passports.

**** Singapore's Unemployment Rate Increases In March <http://www.nationmultimedia.com/worldhotnews/read.php?newsid=30036935>
by AFP

**** Gay Literature In Singapore <http://www.trevvy.com/scoops/article.php?a_id=166&c_id=3>
by Sean Ho, Trevvy
For all you bookworms, closet bookworms, and potential bookworms out there, Trevvy has embarked on a quest to uncover gay and gay-related literature here in Singapore.

**** Does Singapore Do It Better? <http://mrjam.typepad.com/hong_kong_changes/2007/06/does_singapore_.html>
by Hong Kong Changes
My impression of Singapore at the moment is that it has a bold and exciting plan and it is executing it.

**** Feer Appeals Decision To Disallow QC In Libel Suit <http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=71933>
by Ken Kwek, Straits Times

**** Why Sa'at's Rejection Is Disturbing <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/194474.asp>
by James Koh Sze Ming, Today

**** Debt Climbing For Uni's Failed Campus <http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/debt-climbing-for-unis-failed-campus/2007/06/13/1181414383789.html>
by Harriet Alexander, Sydney Morning Herald
The University of NSW faces a further blow over its ill-fated Asia campus with revelations it will be forced to pay about $20 million to the Singapore government for pulling out of the venture.
See Also:
UNSW 'Has To Repay Grants It Spent' <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_129377.html> by Ho Ai Li, Straits Times.

by Today
Under the existing media competition code, MDA does not regulate the pricing of media services.
/Which I agree, since cable television is really not an essential service that demands pricing regulation./

**** Reading The Lie Of Singapore's Land <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/194512.asp>
by Christie Loh, Today
Is the government worried or sanguine about the piping-hot property market?
Industry observers held mixed views yesterday when the closely-watched half-yearly government land sales programme was released.

**** Back To 1996 High? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/194467.asp>
by Johnson Choo, Today
Record-touching prices for 5-room, exec flats as en bloc sellers use windfall.

**** King Lear To Keep Clothes On In Singapore <http://nationmultimedia.com/worldhotnews/read.php?newsid=30036858>
by AFP
When the Royal Shakespeare Company's production makes a three-night stop in Singapore in July, British actor Ian McKellen, as Lear, will not remove all his clothes during a scene in which the king is forced into exile, Gaurav Kripalani, artistic director of the Singapore Repertory Theatre, said Thursday.

**** The Singapore Way: Doing More Harm Than Good? <http://www.sportstaronnet.com/stories/20070616007903300.htm>
by K Keerthivasan, The Hindu
There is a feeling among a section of the public that the Chinese players recruited by Singapore are hindering the progress of their own youngsters. But there seems to be no way out, and at least the Singapore government is not worried about it.

**** Singapore Funds Game Development <http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/06/14/ap3821765.html>
by Associated Press
Singapore said Thursday it is providing up to 350,000 Singapore dollars in funds to boost development in the city-state of casual computer games for the global market.