[MyAppleMenu] Jun 6, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jun 6 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Smart Duck Storybooks Reader For Mac OS X <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/06/06/smart.duck.storybooks/>
by MacNN

**** Apple's iPhone Will Fly... Then Flounder <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2141918,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03079TX1K0000585>
by Jim Louderback, PC Magazine
There's a lot of pent-up demand for the overpriced phone, particularly among the urban congnoscenti and techno-elites. Once the initial fever wears off, however, the bloom will really be off the rose, and sales wil be disappointing (at least here in the U.S.).

**** iPhone To Flop... Then Fly <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2141922,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03079TX1K0000585>
by Lance Ulanoff, PC Magazine
The iPhone will struggle initially because consumers will be unwilling to break their cellular-service contract simply to have a new phone.

**** Genius Bar Clones And Other Crazy Apple Conspiracies <http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/commentary/alttext/2007/06/alttext_0606>
by Lore Sjoberg, Wired

**** Apple TV An Expensive 'Hobby' <http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=18218>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Fresh teardown analysis of the device by the researchers at iSuppli indicate that Apple is selling the product with very little profit attached.

**** BeLight Software Ships Live Interior 3D 1.1 <http://www.macminute.com/2007/06/06/live-interior-3d/>
by MacMinute
BeLight Software today released Live Interior 3D 1.1, an update to its new software for Mac OS X that lets users design house, office, apartment, and other interiors with realistic 3D walk-throughs.

**** Details On The New LED MacBook Pro <http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple-interview/details-on-the-new-led-macbook-pro-266091.php>
by Gizmodo

**** In-Room Entertainment: What Offerings, At What Price? <http://edition.cnn.com/2007/BUSINESS/06/05/hotels.entertainment/>
by Steve Mollman, CNN
With gadgets ever more capable and online offerings ever more compelling, "there is simply no question that we are in the middle of a major paradigm shift," says Jeffrey Catrett, dean of the Les Roches School of Hospitality Management at Kendall College in Chicago.

**** Mac OS X Tiger Vs. Windows Vista <http://laptopmag.com/Features/Mac-OS-X-Tiger-vs-Windows-Vista.htm>
by Jeffrey L. Wilson, Laptop Magazine
Although Vista is pushing the envelope with some of its features, it's still unproven in several key areas and could use snappier performance. Until that happens, we'll stick with OS X Tiger.

**** MacBook Pro Knows The Way To Santa Rosa <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/06/mbpupdate/index.php>
by Philip Michaels, Macworld

**** My Gripes On My MacBook <http://www.gadzooki.com/computers/software/mac/my-gripes-on-my-macbook/>
by Gadzooki

**** iPhonomics <http://gesturelab.com/?p=82>
by Steve Gillmor, GestureLab
In a world post-iPhone where everything changes, battery life becomes the arbiter of usage.

**** Apple Hits High On iPhone Prediction <http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8PIOUU80.htm>
by Associated Press
Shares of Apple Inc. set an all-time high Tuesday after an analyst said the company's iPhone will be a hit because of its superior technology.

**** AT&amp;T Dressing Up EDGE Network For iPhone? <http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatch/archives/012272.html>
by Paul Roberts, InfoWorld
Behind the speculation about AT&amp;T's network upgrade is some real anxiety that the iPhone, when it's released, will be a Maserati stuck on the traffic jammed highway that is the U.S. mobile broadband market.

**** EU Extends Deadline For Apple To Respond To iTunes Antitrust Concerns To June 20 <http://www.iii.co.uk/news/?type=afxnews&articleid=6131849&subject=economic&action=article>
by Thomson Financial
The European Commission says it has extended the deadline for Apple to respond to its antitrust concerns until June 20.

**** ChangeShortName 1.3 <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2007/06/changeshortname/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
If you're determined to change your short username, ChangeShortName is the easiest way to do so. Just be sure to read the ReadMe file that comes with it.

**** Unsanity Releases FontCard 1.5 <http://www.macminute.com/2007/06/05/fontcard/>
by MacMinute

**** MarsEdit 1.2 Published <http://www.macuser.com/updates/marsedit_12_published.php?lsrc=murss>
by Dan Moren, MacUser
Version 1.2 adds Growl functionality, support for the Vox blogging system, and the ability to upload images to the Picasa web service.

**** MacFamilyTree 4.4: Genealogy Program Makes Excellent Use Of Your Mac's Built-In Assets <http://www.macworld.com/2007/06/reviews/macfamilytree44/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jeffery Battersby, Macworld
It's interface is not nearly as polished as other genealogy software on the market. And if you're looking for more than causal religious references, this program would not suffice.

**** Apple TV (40GB/160GB) <http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/apple-inc-apple-tv/>
by Jeremy Horwitz, iLounge
We continue to hope that pragmatism wins out here, and that Apple TV becomes what users truly want it to be, sooner rather than later or to late at all to matter.
See Also:
What Apple TV Costs To Make <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2007/tc20070606_984317.htm?campaign_id=rss_tech>, by Arik Hesseldahl, Business Week. By typical Apple standards, the new set-top video box may as well be a hobby given how unprofitable it is in its current form.

**** Typinator 2.0 Adds Structure To Snippets <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/06/05/typinator.20.released/>
by MacNN
Ergonis Software today released Typinator 2.0, the latest revision of the company's tool for automatically correcting typos and automatically typing text as well asinserting graphics across all Mac OS X applications.

**** Camino 1.5 <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/05/camino-1-5/>
by Scott McNulty, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** Bringing Public W-Fi To Small Town America <http://news.com.com/Bringing+public+Wi-Fi+to+small+town+America/2100-1039_3-6188911.html?tag=nefd.top>
by Candace Lombardi, CNET News.com
When it comes to building the infrastructure that makes public high-speed internet access possible, companies are keen to take on projects for large cities. However, smaller cities are another story.

**** Intel Updates Compilers For Multicore Era <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070605-intel-updates-compilers-for-multicore-era.html>
by Jon Stokes, Ars Technica
Intel has announced major updates for its C++ and Fortran tools, updates that are aimed at making it easier for programmers to exploit thread-level and data-level parallelism in multicore processors.

**** Remembering Auden <http://www.christianitytoday.com/books/features/rumorsofglory/070604.html>
by Alan Jacobs, Books &amp; Culture
And learning how to make sense of his renunciations.

**** Fateful Voice Of A Generation Still Drowns Out Real Science <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/05/science/earth/05tier.html?ex=1338696000&en=b220c5d0fe13a703&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by John Tierney, New York Times
If students are going to read "Silent Spring" in science classes, I wish it were paired with another work from the same year, 1962, titled "Chemicals and Pests."

**** Temasek Denies Involvement In Anti-Competitive Practices In Indonesia <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/280654/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
Investment firm Temasek Holdings says it is not involved in any anti-competitive business practices in Indonesia's mobile phone sector.
Temasek's lawyer says Temasek does not direct the investment and operational decisions of SingTel and ST Telemedia.

**** Importing DVDs Into Singapore, The Island Where Everything Undergoes Censorship <http://doubleblader.wordpress.com/2007/06/06/importing-dvds-into-singaporethe-island-where-everything-undergoes-censorship/>
by Furu Anime Panikku
And "Thank You" MDA for screwing up my stuff that I bought with my hard-earned holiday job money.

**** Singapore Halts Poultry Imports From Malaysia's Selangor <http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2007-06-06T163426Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-301749-1.xml&archived=False>
by Reuters

**** Singapore's Two-Faced Judiciary <http://asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=527&Itemid=31>
by Francis T. Seow, Asia Sentinel
The Singapore courts &mdash; when adjudicating comercial cases between two contending parties where neither the authorities nor the political elite are involved or interested &mdash; may be relied upon to administer justice according to the law. In this regard, Singapore judges have an overall reputation for the integrity of their judgments.
This book, however, is concerned with the other face of justice in Singapore: where these very same judges, sad to say, in politically-freighted cases have repeatedly demonstrated a singular facility at bending over backwards to render decisions favourable to the Singapore government and its leaders.

**** Whither The Kampung? <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Wednesday/Features/20070605142056/Article/index_html>
by Faridul Anwar Farinordin, New Straits Times
The play Anak Bulan di Kampong Wa' Hassan is a reminder to audiences of what development can do to their beloved kampungs.

**** Lessons And Experiences From Singapore (On A Budget!) <http://psychogoddess.wordpress.com/2007/06/05/lessons-and-experiences-from-singapore-on-a-budget/>
by AverageSanePsychoSuperGoddess
When visiting a country that just advertised a countrywide sale, bring your credit card.

**** Learning And The Real World <http://flux.futurelab.org.uk/2007/06/05/learning-and-the-real-world/>
by Graham Perkins, Flux
As the nation begins to push and nurture research &amp; development, learning from doing is a crucial approach that needs to be supported and understood.

**** Singapore Eyes More Business In Qatar <http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Display_news.asp?section=Business_News&subsection=Local+Business&month=June2007&file=Business_News2007060601931.xml>
by The Peninsula
Singapore is poised to increase its presence in the Qatari market, especially in the oil and gas sector in which it sees huge opportunities in the support services field.

**** Case Slams Shoe Store That Charged Nets Levy <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_126398.html>
by Lim Wei Chean, Straits Times
Parkway Parade shop, Dynasty Shoes, made customers pay extra although practice is disallowed.

**** Not-So-Rosy Future? Interpret Stats Properly <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_126299.html>
by Faye Chiam Pui Hoon, Straits Times
Let us be more discerning consumers of statistics, and look more closely at what the numbers from surveys and studies are really saying.

**** IDR - Shenzhen Or Achilles' Heel? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/192639.asp>
by Johan Saravanamuttu, Today
Malaysia has a poor track record with respect to 'mega' projects. What could push the IDR beyond the kind of problems that have stalled the MSC?

**** Nets Fee Hike 'Not A Consumer Issue': CEO <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/192692.asp>
by Lin Yanqin, Today
Nets was not a "social entity" or a non-profit organisation, Nets chief exectuvie officer Poh Mui Hoon said. "We are a commercial entity... and we do need to evolve."
/The issue is not, I believe, that Nets cannot earn a reasonable profit for their business. The issue is that Nets has not demonstrated the business cost has risen significantly to justify this increment./
/If I interpret the news reports correctly, this is not a case of Nets having to increase cost because it has to, but because it can./
/What is Ez-Link doing?/

**** Questions About Education, Questions Of Faith <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/157130.html>
by Mollymeek
What she does know is that she has been told, ever since she was young, that it is important to study. The higher you go, the better. But what is there for the ones who do not go too high? What happesn to those who fail to go high because they are in the wrong environment?