[MyAppleMenu] Jul 22, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jul 22 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Who Syas You Can't Take Your iPod To The Staff Meeting? <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/22/business/yourmoney/22novelties.html?_r=1&ref=yourmoney&from=myapplemenu&oref=slogin>
by Annie Eisenberg, New York Times
Manufacturers are offering a handful of microphone systems that plug snugly into the current crop of video iPods and Nanos, turning them into devices that not only play audio, but record it, too &mdash; in stereo.

**** Two Weeks With An iPhone <http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=1XOBTV3C0T1MYQSNDLRCKH0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=201200060>
by John C. Welch, InformationWeek
In reflecting on my two weeks with the iPhone, my objective is to move beyond nattering about its specs or complaining about what it doesn't do, and shed some serious light on security issues, corporate e-mail syncing, iPhone application development, and a bunch of other areas of intest to serious users, both corporate and otherwise.

**** Bad UI Of The Week: The Mitten Mouse <http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=777625&rl=1>
by David Chrisnall, Informit.com
It is not surprising that Apple has started to do well now that laptop sales are beginning to pass desktop sales; they get an interface that is easy to use with a single-button trackpad for free. The ultimate irony? The latest MacBooks have the first ergonomic mechanism for right-clicking I have found on a trackpad&mdash;holding down two fingers on the pad while clicking the button.
/I wouldn't say MacBook's popularity is solely because of the single-button trackpad. But I do have to say that, after using multiple Windows-based laptops, from IBM to Dell to Acer, the correct number of mouse buttons on a laptop should be one./

**** Will Boston Ever Catch Up? <http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2007/07/22/will_boston_ever_catch_up/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Technology+stories&from>
by Scott Kirsner, Boston Globe
Boston, you bet the farm on corporate technology. These days, the money is in consumer products, and Silicon Valley is king. Will you ever catch up?

**** Why Feedburner Is Trouble <http://www.scripting.com/stories/2007/07/21/whyFeedburnerIsTrouble.html>
by Dave Winer, Scripting News
These technologies work best when there's lots of competition and lots of choice, and when users are alert and don't trust companies that don't deserve their trust. But I can't say I've ever seen that happened for any sustained period, but I still have hope it could happen someday.

**** Hallows Be Thy Name <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6908080.stm>
by Neil Hallows, BBC News
The title of JK Rowling's final boy wizard book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, has long been a source of excited debate among fans. What exactly are hallows?

**** Their War <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/18/AR2007071802785.html>
by Kristin Henderson, Washington Post
Less than 1 percent of the U.S. population serves in our military. In a time of war, what should that mean to the rest of us?

**** Abolitionists, Then And Now <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/20/AR2007072001801.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Colbert I. King, Washington Post
Washington D.C., is one of those places where the sweep of centuries can be compressed into a single day. Wednesday provided an example.

**** Orthodox Paradox <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/22/magazine/22yeshiva-t.html>
by Noah Feldman, New York Times
The 12 years I spent at a yeshiva day school made me who I am. Now the school doesn't acknowledge who I've become. A reflection on religion, identity and belonging.

**** Malaysia Will Discuss Issues With All Interested In IDR <http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/7/22/business/20070722171243&sec=business>
by Jane Ritikos, The Star
Malaysia will address issues raised by parties interested in investing in the Iskandar Development Region, including Singapore, foreign minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar said.
Syed Hamid said this when asked to comment on a remark by Singapore foreign minister George Yeo that they would be bringing up "some practical problems," during the first two-day joint ministerial committee meeting on the Iskandar Development Region, which will begin Monday.

**** TTSH To Move Some Dengue Patients To KKH <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_141573.html>
by Straits Times
Women patients with dengue will be moved from Tan Tock Seng Hospital to KK Women's and CHildren's Hospital (KKH) from Monday.
The transfer is inline with TTSH's plan to free up its beds whenever public health crises &mdash; such as the current dengue outbreak &mdash; hit.

**** En Bloc Frenzy Not Behind Rise In Devt Charge <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_141582.html>
by Straits Times
The minister for national development, Mr Mah Bow Tan, explained on Sunday that the government's recent move to raise development charges was not a reaction to the current collective sale frenzy.
Rather, the move was because the 'property market is now booming' and it was 'timely to return' to the position before 1985 when the market went down and there was a recession.

**** Singapore And Malaysian Officials Meet For Discussions On IDR <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/289738/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

**** Hong Kong Court Finds Publc Sodomy Law Discriminatory <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-761.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

**** Eaten By Singapore <http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/eaten-by-singapore/2007/07/21/1184560106866.html>
by Stephen Mayne, The Age
In accepting $4.5 billion of cash from Singapore Power for a suite of Australian electricity and gas distribution assets, Alinta shareholders will lift the total value of Australian business assets controlled by the Singapore government to almost $30 billion.
This will exceed the value of commercian assets owned by our own federal government, which is surely an unprecendented situation for any first world country. How can a foreign power own more of Australia than our own government?
Does anybody else out there feel a little uneasy about this phenomenon, especially givent he secretive, autocratic and undemocratic tendencies of the Singapore government?