[MyAppleMenu] Jul 14, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 14 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Regarding OS X-Based iPods <http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/os_x_ipods>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
The simple truth is that the iPhone user experience doesn't just blow away the experience of other companies' cell phones &mdash; it blows away the experience of Apple's own iPods.

**** iPhone Buyers Have No Regrets <http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2007-07-12-iphone_N.htm>
by Edward C Baig, USA Today
Early iPhone owners are overwhelmingly happy with their deices, a survey out Friday says, and Apple and AT&amp;T are luring customers from rivals as a result.

**** Marathon:Resurrection 2.0 Rebirths A Classic <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/07/13/marathonresurrection.20/>
by MacNN

**** iPhone Typing Faster Than Competition? <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/07/13/iphone.typing.speed/>
by MacNN

**** On The Trail Of Fake Steve Jobs <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/07/13/on-the-trail-of-fake-steve-jobs/>
by Mike Schramm, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
Everybody's favorite anonymous Mac commentator might be a little closer to becoming not-soanonymous.

**** Apple Stock Hts $135 <http://www.macobserver.com/stockwatch/2007/07/13.1.shtml>
by Jeff Gamet, Mac Observer
Apple's market cap is currently at $116.77 billion, up from $45 billion this time last year. The company has already passed Dell and Oracle's market caps, and financial analyst Georges Yared is predicting that it will blow psat IBM and Intel, at $145 and $161 respectively, within the next 18 months.

**** Intel Joins One Laptop Per Child Initiative <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/07/13/olpc/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by China Martens, IDG News Service
In an unexpected development, chip giant Intel has joined the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) initiative. The nonprofit project aims to equip children in developing countries with specially designed low-cost notebooks powerd by chips from Intel's rival Advanced Micro Devices (AMD).

**** The Gastronomical We <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/15/books/review/Blount-t.html?ex=1342152000&en=e9ccf8bd0df8b2ff&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Roy Blount Jr., New York Times

>From Thomas Jefferson to M. F. K. Fisher to Dvaid Sedaris, Americans have long been passionate about food.

**** Not Yet A Nation At 42 <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2007/7/14/columnists/insightdownsouth/18289990&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
This little rich state is celebrating its 42nd National Day next month with many blessings and a few darkening clouds, one of which is: It isn't yet a nation.
In fact it will take a generation or two to become one. Welath notwithstanding, it is more diverse and divided than before.

**** Malaysia To Address Declining Fruit Exports To Singapore <http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=273228>
by Jackson Sawatan, Bernama
Export of Malaysian fruits to Singapore has declined significantly &mdash; by as much as RM30 million in terms of value within a spate of two years &mdash; due to stiff competition from products of other countries.

**** Of Course Blood Is Available 24/7 <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/160597.html>
by Mollymeek
Duh, of course blood has to be available 24/7 for emergencies. But no one is clarifying (no journalist is asking?) about the /process/ of gaining approval and whether it could be improved.

**** Chain Of Command Might Have Led Nowhere <http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2007/07/chain-of-command-might-have-led-nowhere.html>
by Gerald Giam, Singapore Patriot
Perhaps this is what Hongyi himself calculated before he even sent out the email. If so, then maybe he wasn't so brash after all.

**** This Used To Be My Playground <http://deianira.wordpress.com/2007/07/14/this-used-to-be-my-playground/>
by Needful Things
The abandoned railway track that runs through Teban will still be there since it belongs to the Malayan Railway company. Oh /that/ railway track that contributed to the notoriety of Teban.

**** Children's Books Go Digital! <http://www.mb.com.ph/YTCP2007071497795.html>
by Blooey Singson, Manila Bulletin
Digital media has today become as much a part of children's book illustration as any other media, with artists working on the computer, using programs to create and enhance their works.

**** Don't Sacrifice Tree For Errant Drivers <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/200010.asp>
by Maryanne Maes and Patricia Chen Metcalfe, Today
Must this old tree be sacrificed for such drivers who obviously have no sense of responsibility?

**** First Shelter For Homeless Families Here Open Doors <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_138810.html>
by Theresa Tan, Straits Times
Families being put up in HDB flats for a few months in pilot project led by MCYS.

**** Drop Practice Of Asking About Race <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_138982.html>
by Richard Middleton, Straits Times
This would be deemed irrlevant (in fact, unlawful and offensive) in most Western countries.

**** Appropriate Pricing Of Taxi Services Crucial <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_138977.html>
by Tammy Tan, ComfortDelGro Corporation Limited, Straits Times
While we have a large taxi fleet to meet demand during the usual peak periods, the fleet is largely under-utilised during off-peak periods. Hence, it is not just a question of the supply of taxis but also the appropriate pricing of taxi services that is crucial in addressing the supply-and-demand problem.
/You know what, all the restaurants and coffeeshops and hawker centers have the same problem. You know, people usually go eat food during lunch and dinner time only. And you know what, they have figured out how to deal with it too. And without charging people for booking fees, peak hour surcharges, and change of shifts during peak hours./

**** Movie Pirates Now Using Cellphones To Record Shows <http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article-southeastasia.asp?parentid=73834>
by Chua Hian Hou, Straits Times
High-end mobile phones have emerged as the recording device of choice for movie pirates in the region, with more than 30 people nabbed in cinemas this year for recording the latest blockbusters this way.

**** Blood Is Available Round The Clock <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/200075.asp>
by Today
The center which supplies blood to hospitals is open 24-by-7. That is the assurance from the Health Sciences Authority (HSA) amid certain misconceptions that have surfaced in the wake of Madam Swee Lay Kuan's bleeding to death at Raffles Hospital where she was delivering twins.

**** Is A Law Minister So Hard To Find? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/200018.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today
Three prime ministers, six finance ministers, eight education and defence ministers. But the country has seen only two law ministers in 42 years &mdash; Mr Edward Barker, a trained lawyer who held the job for 23 years, and Professor S Jayakumar, a former law professor who stepped in 19 years ago and now wants to move on.
/Of course, this begs the questions: maybe the other ministers for the other posts are not that qualified? :-)/