[MyAppleMenu] Jul 13, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jul 13 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Apple Admits To Glitches With Outlook Syncing <http://www.iphonematters.com/article/apple_admits_to_glitches_with_outlook_syncing_276/>
by Gregory Ng, iPhone Matters

**** Microsoft Office Updated To 11.3.6 <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/07/13/microsoft-office-updated-to-11-3-6/>
by Michael Rose, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** MacTech Releases New CD With MacTech Viewer <http://www.macminute.com/2007/07/13/mactech-cd/>
by MacMinute

**** Sourcebits Releases FunBooth For iSight <http://www.macminute.com/2007/07/12/funbooth/>
by MacMinute

**** Why I Returned My iPhone <http://machinist.salon.com/blog/2007/07/13/return_iphone/index.html>
by Farhad Manjoo, Salon
All the problems that I have with the phone &mdash; even its lock to AT&amp;T &mdash; are likely not long for this world. Apple or the hackers will clean them up, and maybe soon, too.

**** Patents From Microsoft And Apple Reveal Future Plans For WiFi On Zune, iPod <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070712-patents-from-microsoft-and-apple-reveal-bigger-wifi-plans-for-zune-ipod.html>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica
Both Apple and Microsoft have revealed possible future directions their respective music players by filing for patents that will allow the devices to share music wirelessly, but in different ways.

**** The Truth About iPhone Battery Lifespan <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macword/2007/07/iphonebattery/index.php>
by Jason Snell, Macworld
While the stories about the iPhone's battery evaporating in two years are simply wrong, the fact is that sooner or later the iPhone's battery will die. But it won't be evaporating in a puff of smoke anytime soon.

**** I Want Buttons <http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2007/07/touchscreenipod/index.php>
by Dan Frakes, Playlist
In my opinion, any good media player /must/ have a few essential physical controls. And these buttons /must/ be usable by feel.

**** Sharing Music With The iPhone <http://davidweiss.blogspot.com/2007/07/sharing-music-with-iphone.html>
by David Weiss
If you are on a phone call, and turn on your iPod music, everyone on the call can hear your music!

**** Apple iPhone Battery Bug: Battery Icon Doesn't Show 100% <http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/iphone-bugs/apple-iphone-battery-bug-battery-icon-doesnt-show-100-277907.php>
by Gizmodo
You know the reports of people saying their iPhones don't charge up all the way? Turns out that's actually a UI bug and not a bug with the iPhone's battery.

**** Work-Around Puts Skype On The iPhone <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/07/12/skype-on-iphone_1.html>
by Peter Judge, Techworld.com
A complex remote-control work-around has achieved what every geek wants: running Skype on an iPhone.

**** Behind The Scenes Of "iPHone: The Musical" <http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/07/12/behind-the-scenes-of-iphone-the-musical/>
by David Pogue, New York Times

**** First Look: FileMaker Pro 9: Support For Live Two-Way Connections To SQL Databases Leads Parade Of Changes <http://www.macworld.com/2007/07/firstlooks/fmp9/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by William Porter, Macworld
THe product is moving in the direction that power users have been hoping for, and in the long run, this is going to benefit everybody who uss the application.

**** MiniMail 1.0.1 <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2007/07/minimail/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
The mini Mail window offers a quick way to keep track of new email messages (or, more accurately, /unread/ messages.)

**** Apple Purchases Rights To CUPS <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/07/12/apple-purchases-rights-to-cups>
by Justin Berka, Ars Technica
CPUS is considered to be one of the (if not the) best Unix printing solutions, and has been helping beef up OS X's printing capabilities since Apple began licensing the code in 2002. And now, after a few years of successful CUPS use and integration, Apple is investing even more in the system.

**** Freeverse Releases Tiki Magic Mini Golf <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/07/12/tikimagic/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** PasswordVault 6.0 Syncs Passwords Online <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/07/12/passwordvault.60.released/>
by MacNN

**** Apple Patenting Zune-Like Sharing, Wireless Buying <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/07/12/apple.zune.like.patent/>
by MacNN

**** Analyst: Apple Insulated From NAND Flash Price Increases <http://www.macobserver.com/stockwatch/2007/07/12.1.shtml>
by Jeff Gamet, Mac Observer
Apple is fairly well insulated from the change thanks to its practice of signing multi-quarter contracts for the memory used in the iPod nano, iPod shuffle, and iPhone, according to Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster.

**** Empty Thine In-Box <http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2007/07/13/email_etiquette/>
by Scott Rosenberg, Salon
A spate of e-mail etiquette guides and productivity manuals commands us to clear out our e-mail. Don't we all have better things to do?

**** Online Radio Is Saved; SoundExchange Will Not Enforce New Royalty Rates On Sunday <http://blog.wired.com/music/2007/07/breaking-news-o.html>
by Eliot Van Buskirk, Wired

**** Going From Killer App To Major Web Platform <http://news.com.com/Going+from+killer+app+to+major+Web+platform/2100-1032_3-6196341.html?tag=nefd.top>
by Elinor Mills, CNET News.com
What do Facebook, Second Life, Google and Salesforce.com have in common? They all started out a sapplications that evolved into web platforms, enabling developers to create more compatible programs and companies to build businesses off the platform ecosystem.

**** Punctuation Is No Place For Zero Tolerance <http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/books/2007/07/punctuation_is_no_place_for_ze.html>
by David Crystal, The Guardian
Lynne Truss and others demand a rigidly standard English, but our language has fewer unbreakable rules than they want.

**** Only Pinter Remains <http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,2120880,00.html>
by Terry Eagleton, Guardian
British literature's long and rich tradition of politically engaged writes has come to an end.

**** Getting Patrick Pregnant <http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=262568>
by Jen Graves, The Stranger
Scientists say it could be done. And my better half is the perfect candidate. All I have to do is convince him.

**** Getting Away By Pressing The 'Up' Button <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/13/realestate/greathomes/13Pieds.html?ref=escapes>
by Robert Sharoff, New York Times
Of the course, the whole idea of having a second home is to get away from it all. For most people, that involves a plane or car trip to some unspoiled corner of nature.
Others, however, jsut take the elevator.

**** $600-A-Pound Coffee <http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-coffee13jul13,0,3547326.story?track=mostviewed-splashpage>
by Paul Watson, Los Angeles Times
Indonesia's kopi luwak is a rare delicacy of peculiar provenance &mdash; beans plucked from the droppings of wild civets.

**** Asean Pressure On Burma Urged <http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=120134>
by DPA

**** Internet Buzz Over PM Lee's Son <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_138712.html>
by Imelda Saad, Straits Times
A trawl of blogs and online forums show that the cyber chatter has even shifted from admonishing what was earlier described as a 'brash act' from a 'white horse' to netizens now empathising with and even supporting Second Lieutenant Li Hongyi.

**** Boom Time - A Job Seeker's Heaven? <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_138772.html>
by Claire Huang, Straits Times
It may be boom time for the economy and fervent job seekers, but there may be pitfalls involved.

**** An Autopsy On The SAF Email Saga <http://bleongcw.typepad.com/simple_is_the_reason_of_m/2007/07/an-autopsy-on-t.html>
by Simple Is The Reason Of My Heart
Hopefully, the establishment has realized that the way to engage new media is not to fight it but to engage it in such a way that the public can make their judgment on the issue.

**** The Forgotten Soldier - Breaking The Chain Of Command <http://intelligentsingaporean.wordpress.com/2007/07/13/the-forgotten-soldier-%e2%80%93-breaking-the-chain-of-command/>
by Intelligent Singaporean

**** The Mysterious Aura Of Information <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/160285.html>
by Mollymeek
If you want to complain, be prepared to sacrifice yourself.

**** The Lone Tree Hill Incident At Lim Chu Kang <http://perspectiveunlimited.blogspot.com/2007/07/lone-tree-hill-incident-at-lim-chu-kang.html>
by Perspective Unlimited
Whether 2LT Li acted in cunning self-interest, in stupidity, naivety, or only because of his privileged background was largely irrlevant. Speaking up was the right thing to do. The rest were just details.

**** As A Citizen, I Have A Right To /Demand/..! <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2007/07/as-citizen-i-have-right-to-demand.html>
by Diary Of A Singapore Mind

**** Li Hongyi Case: Bloggers Force Officials' Hand <http://journalism.sg/?p=55>
by Cherian George, Journalism.sg
When the information is already "out there", it changes the calculations of both newsmakers and mainstream media. However, it would be a mistake for bloggers to get carried away by a misplaced sense of power.

**** Indonesia Accuses Singapore Of Trying To Scuttle Defense Pact <http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/07/13/asia/AS-GEN-Indonesia-Singapore.php>
by Associated Press
Indonesia accused Singapore of trying to scuttle a bilateral defense pact because it does not want to acknowledge accommodating fugitives who fled Indonesia with billions of dollars after the 1997-98 financial crisis.
Singapore's foreign ministry had no immediate comment Friday, but had issued a statement last week defending its position on the issue.

**** Seven Things You Should Do On The Singapore MRT <http://www.ozlady.com/2007/07/13/seven-things-you-should-do-on-the-singapore-mrt/>
by ozlady.com

**** Li Hongyi Vs SAF; Even PM's Son Needs To Have Rights <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/160163.html>
by Mollymeek
The biggest joke to come out of the saga is the Mindef statement that "there are proper channels within the SAF to address servicemen's grievances or concerns."

**** Power As The Only Reality <http://www.oikono.com/wordpress/?p=54>
by Oikono.com
It is right because it says it is right.

**** Hero Or Zero? <http://nedstark.wordpress.com/2007/07/12/hero-or-zero/>
by Ned Stark, Winter Is Coming

**** PM Lee's Son Did The Right Thing? <http://lucretius.vox.com/library/post/pm-lees-son-did-the-right-thing.html>
by Egoiste
Yes, is rather unfortunate that he happened to be the prime minister's son, because if he is not? Wouldn't you view the whole incident in a total different perspective angle?

**** Jumping The Ranks <http://www.mrbiao.com/blog/jumping-the-ranks.html>
by This Lush Garden Within
While it is commendable that 2LT Li seemed genuinely concerned about the quality of officers in the SAF and hw it will affect Singapore, one wonders whether he will "jump the ranks" (excuse the pun) again when he returns from college to serve in the civil service, or has he learnt his lesson already?

**** Half Of Babies Born Out Of Wedlock In Singapore Have Malay Mothers <http://nationmultimedia.com/worldhotnews/read.php?newsid=30040637>
by DPA
Half of the babies born out of wedlock last year in Singapore had Malay mothers, many of whom were in their teens, a report said Friday.

**** Singapore PM's Son Get Army Rebuke For E-Mail Gaffe <http://www.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUSSP1129520070713>
by Reuters
A son of Singapore prime minister Lee Hsien Loong has received a rebuke from the country's military for violating its chain of command with an e-mail complaint about a fellow officer, the ministry of defense said on Friday.
Li Hongyi, a 2nd Leiutenant doing his national service, had sent the e-mail to Singapore's defense minister and hundreds of military personnel to complain that a colleauge had gone absent without leave on two occasions.

**** Li Hongyi's Ethical Dilemma <http://diodati.omniscientx.com/2007/07/12/li-hongyis-ethical-dilemma/>
by Elia Diodati, E Pur Si Mouve
Even if it were, in some sense, his father's army, Hongyi is not above the rule of law when he oversteps it. Which is probably a good thing for the SAF. Yet at the same time, it is yet another story in the litany of SAF screwups that make it to press that is just clawing at yet more unanswered issues.

**** No Green Light For These Roads <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/199774.asp>
by Tabitha Wang, Today
Makers of traffic crossings should try to cross some bridges themselves.

**** Shock And Gore <http://www.asianewsnet.net/arts.php?aid=10962>
by Adeline Chia, Straits Times
Is there a line where cutting-edge art falls over the edge into something that's in bad taste or just plain unacceptable?

**** No Way To Get Drivers To Slow Down: LTA <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_138529.html>
by T Rajan, Straits Times
Flashing messages, speed-limit signs and extra markings on the road were all added to warn motorists of a tree in the middle of Braddell Road.
But none of them worked when it came to keeping speeds under 40kmh, said the Land Transport Authority (LTA) yesterday. It was explaining why the 80-year-old Angsana, spared the chop two years ago at a cost of $200,000, had to go now.
/As mentioned in the article, the use of speed cameras was not tried. But, perhaps a more radical idea should be tried. How about narrowing that stretch of the road, so that the split is not necessary?/
See Also:
Tree's End Is Near <http://trulysingapore.wordpress.com/2007/07/12/trees-end-is-near/>, by Yours Truly Singapore. We may plant a thousand trees now but we won't live long enough to see any of them grow to the size and magnificence of this 80-year-old.

**** Fugitive? I Never Wanted To Run, Says Yong <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_138504.html>
by Chong Chee Kin, Straits Times
Now awaiting extradition to Singapore, former National Kidney Foundation (NKF) chairman Richard Yong has claimed he is no fugitive.
"It's all a misunderstanding. It's never been about running away. I never wanted to run." "The OA never sent me any letter. No one told me I needed permission. It's really unfortunate."

**** Singapore-China FTA: Headline Was Inaccurate <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_138526.html>
by Toh Yong Chuan, Press Secretary to Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Home Affairs, Straits Times
"Looking at our own experience, we think that it is a reasonable time line (of two years) and both sides wil have to work very hard to achieve that target."

**** Simple Explanation From Raffles Hospital Does Not Suffice <http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2007/07/simple-explanation-from-raffles.html>
by Gerald Giam, Singapore Patriot