[MyAppleMenu] Jul 7, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 7 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** My Phone's An iPhone, What's Yours? <http://www.smh.com.au/news/phones--pdas/my-phones-an-iphone-whats-yours/2007/07/05/1183351365490.html>
by Stephen Hutcheon, Sydney Morning Herald
Many gadget fans living outside the US are not prepared to wait &mdash; even though it means their expensive toy may not operate as its maker intended it.

**** Apple Delivered On iPhone Promise <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003778367_ptmacc07.html?syndication=rss>
by Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times
Apple said it could deliver a phone as elegant and superb as the iPod. And it did.

**** The iPhone Threat To Adobe, Microsoft, Sun, Real, BREW, Symbian <http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q2.07/879DD82D-5595-4746-BFCE-524BBA7C7A85.html>
by Roughly Drafted
If the iPhone is a success, it will not only establish Apple as a mobile maker, but also extinguish any hope for proprietary web streamng technologies, proprietary codec use for audio and video distribution, and Adobe's proprietary mobile middleware.

**** Vodafone Put Off By Apple's Demand For Big iPhone Slice <http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2119921,00.html>
by Richard Wray, The Guardian
Apple is understood to be demanding that its European mobile phone partners hand over a significant proportion of revenues generated by the iPhone and restrict the content that users can access.

**** Which iPod Is Better? <http://www.scripting.com/stories/2007/07/06/whichIpodIsBetter.html>
by Dave Winer, Scripting News
The music-playing fucntion in the iPhone is flashy and colorful, but confusing. It's as if Apple hired a movie studio to design the user interface. They don't respect the mudane aspects of making a tool work for the user, and getting out oof our way.

**** Speculation As To Why iPhone Doesn't Include Flash <http://inessential.com/?comments=1&postid=3432>
by Brent Simmons, Inessential.com
I have a theory that I haven't heard yet: Flash wasn't included /because it crashes so much/.

**** Restarting Innovation <http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/posts/Article/frameworks-2007-07-06-16-00>
by Rogue Amoeba
It seems to me that there is a solution and it's one we've seen before, from Apple even - frameworks.

**** iTunes 'Next Big Thing' Albums Cost $6.99 Or Less <http://playlistmag.com/news/2007/07/06/nextbigthing/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Playlist
The U.S. iTunes Store now features Next Big Thing, a group of albums from emerging artists priced at either $5.99 or $6.99. Many are available as iTunes Plus songs, Apple's non-DRM-encrypted format.

**** Coda 1.0.3: Web Site Development Program Aims To Be All-In-One Application <http://www.macworld.com/2007/07/reviews/coda102/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dori Smith, Macworld
If you don't own any web development programs yet and are looking to start hand-coding web sites, Coda is a good first step. Otherwise, wait for subsequent versions before tossing out programs like BBEdit and TextMate.

**** Just Beneath The Surface <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/08/magazine/08swimming-t.html?ex=1341547200&en=bd10c39d679b9310&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Akiko Busch, New York Times
It seems clear now, in that way that the unexpected can sometimes take hold of intent, thwarting and subverting it, that following the path of the river is as important as crossing it. A river can connect every bit as effectively as it divides.

**** Even God Quotes Tocqueville <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/08/books/review/Caldwell.html?ex=1341547200&en=0343fcd48c887ea7&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Christopher Caldwell, New York Times
Tocqueville was an unlikely student of democracy, and an even less likely voyager to the American wilderness.

**** Jazz Messenger <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/08/books/review/Murakami-t.html?ex=1341547200&en=506c3b2e5cb5c53d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Haruki Murakami, New York Times
When I turned 29, all of a sudden out of nowhere I got this feeling that I wanted to write a novel &mdash; that I could do it.

**** Capturing Lim Kay Tong Outside 'The Photograph' <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailfeatures.asp?fileid=20070707.T01&irec=0>
by Nauval Yazid, Jakarta Post

**** Singapore Rejects RI Claim Over Bravo Area <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailnational.asp?fileid=20070707.H10&irec=9>
by Jakarta Post
Despite criticizing Indonesia over reneging, Singapore still seemed open to negotiations over the issue.

**** Dolly The Sheep Cloning Team Member Joins Singapore Research Agency <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=271863>
by Jackson Sawatan, Bernama
Stem cell scientist, Dr Alan Colman, a member of the team that cloned "Dolly, the Sheep" has joined Singapore's Agency for Science, Technoogy and Research (A*Star) to head the island-state's stem cell research efforts.

**** Thailand To Benefit From Singapore's Use Of Airfield: PM <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=271862>
by Bernama
Despite earlier Thai activist protests against Singapore's use of the Udon Thani Royal Thai Air Base, prime minister Surayud Chulanont said here that his cabinet had extended the contract for Singapore to use the airbase for another three years.

**** Yong's Wife Accused Of Moving $3.9M Illegally <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_136524.html>
by Chong Chee Kin and Vince Chong, Straits Times

**** The Legacy Of 1987 <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_136619.html>
by Lydia Lim and Li Xueying, Straits Times
This year marks the 20th anniversary of the arrest of 22 Singaporeans under the Internal Security Act for their involvement in the alleged Marxist conspiracy.

**** Irritating On-Air Promos Spoil Enjoyment Of TV Programmes <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_136407.html>
by Tang Ee Ket, Straits Times
/There are many reasons why I have almost stopped watching television broadcasts altogether, especially the MediaCorp channels. The intrusive on-air bugs is just one of the reasons./

**** Would You Work 2 Shifts Over 14 Hours For $4.90 An Hour? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,135077,00.html?>
by Seah Kian Peng, New Paper
What is it like to live two days in one? To knock off work at lunchtime and report for another job at teatime?