[MyAppleMenu] Jul 6, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jul 6 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Apple Logo - A Real Buzz Kill <http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9740131-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Elinor Mills, CNET News.com
How brilliant, and troubling, of Jobs and Co. to sneak a billboard so intrusively into trippy visual art being watched by people quite possibly in a vulnerable state to marketing.

**** European Investors Yet To Catch iPhone Fever <http://www.forbes.com/technology/2007/07/05/apple-europe-partners-markets-equity-cx-ll_0705markets26.html?partner=rss>
by Lionel Laurent, Forbes
With the iPone's European debut still months away, investors aren't diving in just yet.

**** Apple Posts iPod Reset Utility 1.0.2 <http://www.macminute.com/2007/07/06/ipod-reset-utility/>
by MacMinute

**** An iPhone Changed My Life (Briefly) <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/05/fashion/05Cyber.html?ex=1341288000&en=ec96f2886e761f8e&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Michelle Slatalla, New York Times
When I took my iPhone out of the box on Friday to prove to my children that we were the first family on the block with one, I had a glimpse of what life will be like after I'm dead and they're fighting over my jewelry.

**** GhostReader Offers High Quality Text To Speech <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/07/05/ghostreader/index.php>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** The Universal Nature Of Change <http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2007/07/universalchange/index.php>
by Christopher Breen, Playlist
Universal and the other majors have had their day of unlimited power and influence, but that day is coming to an end. The question that remains is how they will deal with this inevitable future.

**** It Could Work: A 3Rd Party Email Client For OS X <http://michael-mccracken.net/wp/2007/07/05/it-could-work-a-3rd-party-email-client-for-os-x/>
by Michael O McCracken
"Email client" isn't just a single app category, and it's about time someone realized it.

**** Apple's Little Problem With Ripping Off Artists <http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/05/apples-little-problem-with-ripping-off-artists/>
by Ryan Block, Engadget
Cupertino's getting all Picasso on us with the "Good artists copy, great artists steal" stuff, time and time again knocking off other artists' and creative companies' work in its own products and advertising.

**** Where Would Jesus Queue? <http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?story_id=9443542&fsrc=RSS>
by The Economist
Apple accomplishes a marketing feat to be envied and studied.

**** iPhone Futures Prove To Be A Bad Investment <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/06/technology/06iphone.html?ex=1341374400&en=db56b8d2207314f1&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Katie Hafner, New York Times
Across the nation, people looking to make a quick and easy profit bought one, two or as many phones as they could by recruiting friends to stand in line with them. But now they are finding that the iPhone is much more like a Harry Potter book than a hard-to-find Wii video game machine: a great thing to be one of the first to own, but not high in resale value because supply is not constrained.

**** AppleCare For iPhone Details Confirmed <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/07/05/applecare-for-iphone-details-confirmed/>
by Dave Caolo, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** iPhone Safari Navigation Tricks <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/07/05/tuaw-tips-iphone-safari-navigation-tricks/>
by Erica Sadun, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** Nisus Launches Nisus Writer Pro 1.0 <http://www.macobserver.com/article/2007/07/05.7.shtml>
by Jeff Gamet, Mac Observer
Nisus Writer Pro expands on the capabilities of Nisus Writer Express with several new features including table of contents, indexing, and bookmarks.

**** Seniors Finally Flocking To The Internet <http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2007/07/06/seniors_finally_flocking_to_the_internet/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Technology+stories>
by Baltimore Sun

**** Open Standards For Social Networking <http://news.com.com/Open+standards+for+social+networking/2010-1038_3-6194817.html?tag=nefd.lede>
by Marc Canter, CNET News.com
We've got a long way to go before we can truly open up social networking.

**** At I.B.M., A Smarter Way To Outsource <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/05/business/05outsource.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Steve Lohr, New York Times
To compete, companies like I.B.M. have to move up the economic ladder to do more complicated work, as do entire Western economies and individual workers.

**** The House That Helped Build Google <http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinvestor/corporatenews/2007-07-04-google-wojcicki_N.htm>
by Jefferson Graham, USA Today

**** The Challenge Of Positive Freedom <http://www.digitalnpq.org/archive/2007_spring/14_fukuyama.html>
by Francis Fukuyama, NPQ
The late Isaiah Berlin famously made the distinction between "negative" and "positive" freedom&mdash;the first being "freedom from" tyranny and interference and the second being "freedom to" do what one will in his or her zone of non-interference; the freedom of self-realization.

**** Drop Singapore Defense Pact, Says Government Think-Tank <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailheadlines.asp?fileid=20070706.A05&irec=4>
by Tony Hotland, Jakarta Post
National Resilience Institute governor Muladi suggested Thursday the government drop the much-criticized Defense Cooperation Agreement if Singapore kept pushing unilateral demands that might hurt Indonesia's sovereignty.

**** STB Wants To Have New Cruise Terminal In Marina South Soon <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/286670/1/.html>
by Jeana Wong, Channel NewsAsia
Singapore Tourism Board said it wants to have a new cruise terminal at the Marina South Pier site as soon as possible, but there are still issues to be worked out.

**** Invisible City; Minding The Gaps <http://theory.isthereason.com/?p=1745>
by Kevin Lim, Theory.Isthereason
There's so much we dont know, and it's the simplest things that we leave behind (e.g. rubbish, personal blog posts) which will clue our future generations on how we once used to live.

**** Defeated Politician Feels He's Been Taken For Granted <http://www.mrbiao.com/blog/singapore-politician-feels-hes-being-taken-for-granted.html>
by This Lush Garden Within
I don't believe any politician will dish out cheap abalone porridge and sharks fin for 5 years after winning the elctions. Maybe the voters realised that too.

**** Give Way Lah <http://skyhsu.blogspot.com/2007/07/give-way-lah.html>
by Moby Sky
One of the things in SIngapore I have always been surprised by is the drivers' unwillingness to give way to an emergency vehicle.

**** UNSW Says It Never Tried To Blame EDB For Campus Closure <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/286649/1/.html>
by Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia
The University of New South Wales (UNSW) has never attempted to blame the Economic Development Board (EDB) for the closure of its Asia campus in Singapore, according to its vice chancellor Professor Fred Hilmer.
In a statement released on Friday, Professor Hilmer said it was regrettable that EDB did not contact him personally before releasing its correspondence to the media.

**** Singapore May Be Spared From Haze This Year: NEA <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/286633/1/.html>
by Foo Siew Shyan, Channel NewsAsia

**** Singapore's Longer-Term Worry Is Talent: SM Goh <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/286599/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

**** MediaCorp To Launch HDTV By End Of The Year <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/286570/1/.html>
by Ng Baoying, Channel NewsAsia
MediaCorp is launching a high-definition, or HD, TV channel, that promises sharper images.
MediaCorp will roll out an HDTV channel with 7 hours of HD programmes from the US. THere will be another11 hours of non-HD local and foreign programmes.

**** MFA Spokesman's Comments In Response To Press Queries On Indonesian Defnece Minister Juwono Sudarsono's Remarks <http://app.sprinter.gov.sg/data/pr/20070706995.htm>
by Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Singapore Government
"Minister Juwono should be fully aware of the contents of the DCA, which he signed, and the 4 Implementing Agreements (IAs) which were agreed to on 23 April in Singapore. Contrary to what he is reported to have said, Singapore has made no new requests of Indonesia. Rather it is Indonesia which refused on 7 May to sign the IAs which had been agreed on 23 April, and asked for substantive changes to the documents. This is the crux of the matter. Indonesia had repeatedly assured Singapore that it would not depart from what was agreed upon. With the assurance, and in the spirit of friendship and cooperation, Singapore had made a proposal to Indonesia on how to move the process forward. We are still waiting for Indonesia's reply."

**** President Wants DCA Negotiations With Singapore Continued <http://www.antara.co.id/en/arc/2007/7/5/president-wants-dca-negotiations-with-singapore-continued/>
by Antara
Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono wants negotiations on the Defense Cooperation Agreement (DCA) with Singapore continued in accordance with the agreement signed by the two countries in Bali last April, Foreign Minister Hassan Wirajuda said.

**** Singapore Dollar One Of The Strongest Currencies In World: Expert <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/286396/1/.html>
by Yvonne Cheong, Channel NewsAsia
The Singapore dollar is among the strongest currencies in the world and worth investing in, said investment guru Jim Rogers, who co-founded the Quantum Fund with billionaire George Soros.

**** Neo: Open The Door To Dialects And Satire <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_136240.html>
by Straits Times

**** Tan: Singapore Needs Diversity And Debate <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_136241.html>
by Ken Kwek and Peh Shing Huei, Straits Times
"In the long run, diversity might be the only way for Singaproe to survive, because I don't think you can entrench a one-party system or ethos beyond another three generations."

**** EDB Rebuts UNSW <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/198503.asp>
by Lin Yanqin, Today
In its most strongly worded response yet, the EDB countered Mr Fred Hilmer's comments &mdash; published in The Austrlia on Wednesday &mdash; that the agency had rejected his "workable plan" to keep the campus open, after enrolment figures for its first semester fell below target.
See Also:
Hilmer Looks Beyond The Pain <http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,24897,22013391-12332,00.html>, by Catherine Armitage, The Australian.

The Shuffe by MyAppleMenu

**** Inside <http://www.matadorrecords.com/bardo_pond/index.html>