[MyAppleMenu] Jul 4, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jul 4 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** iPhone DVD Jon Claims To Activate WIthout ATT... T-Mobile For Europe? <http://www.boingboing.net/2007/07/03/iphone_dvd_jon_claim.html>
by Xeni Jardin, Boing Boing

**** Transitions <http://davidweiss.blogspot.com/2007/06/transitions.html>
by David Weiss
What's amazing to me about the iPhone experience is how much time Apple spent, not on the end states, but the transitions through and to the end states.

**** THe Computer Of The Future <http://www.forbes.com/technology/2007/07/03/apple-iphone-computers-tech_cx_rr_0704iphone.html?partner=rss>
by Rachel Rosmarin, Forbes
The iPhone and its product-lie descendents offer a glimpse of what's to come&mdash;a world of small, elegant machines allowing users to take true, full-featured internet access with them anywhere.

**** Universal Confirms iTunes Contract Change <http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=18459>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
The world's largest major record label last night released a statement on the matter, telling Macworld UK: "Universal Music Group has decided not to renew its long-term agreement for Apple's iTunes service. Universal Music Group will now market its music to iTunes in an 'at will' capacity, as it does with its other retail partners."

**** Apple Hits Redial <http://www.forbes.com/digitalinfrastructure/2007/07/03/apple-iphone-retail-tech-intel-cx_bc_0703redial.html>
by Brian Caulfield, Forbes
Steve Jobs may not have reinvented the mobile phone, but he has re-invented the way mobile phones are sold.

**** Pogue's Awesome iPhone-Period-Typing Shortcut <http://missingmanuals.com/pogues_awesome_iphone_typing_shortcut.csp>
by David Pogue, The Missing Manuals
So here's what you can do, all in one motion: 1. Touch the ".?123" key, but don't lift your finger as the punctuation layout appears. 2. Slide your finger a half-inch onto the period or comma key, and release.

**** How The iTunes Hegemony Has Frozen Out Music Retailers And Stifled Competition <http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/5782>
by Robert L. Mitchell, Computerworld

**** Apple iPhone Sold Out At Most Stores After Four Days <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=a7A4BDWusr2U&refer=news>
by Connie Guglielmo, Bloomberg
Apple Inc. ran out of iPhones at more than half its stores less than a week after introducing the combination iPod music player and handset in the U.S.

**** Apple's Partner Paradox <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jul2007/tc2007073_956512.htm>
by Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek
Alliances with AT&amp;T and Universal Music Group underscore the benefits and pitfalls of forging close ties with the maker of the iPod and iPhone.

**** No Bonjour On The iPhone <http://blog.duncandavidson.com/2007/07/no-bonjour-on-t.html>
by James Duncan Davidson

**** .Mac Email Aliases Don't Really Work On The iPhone <http://www.onedigitallife.com/2007/07/03/mac-email-aliases-dont-really-work-on-the-iphone/>
by One Digital Life

**** iPhone May Be Available In Alaska <http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=6740867&nav=menu510_2>
by Cara Christiansen, KTUU.com
The news of a telecom acquisition between AT&amp;T and Cellular One will sound like sweet iTunes to Mac enthusiasts since Alaskans were left out of the deal until an announcement Friday by AT&amp;T.

**** iTuning Out? <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19588187/site/newsweek/?from=rss>
by Brian Braiker, Newsweek
What would happen if the world's largest music corporation didn't renew its contract with Apple Inc.?

**** Straight Dope From Fake Steve Jobs <http://news.com.com/Straight+dope+from+Fake+Steve+Jobs/2008-1041_3-6194642.html?tag=nefd.lede>
by Daniel Terdiman, CNET News.com
CNET News.com doesn't know who FSJ is. But we do know what he thinks. On Monday, just days after Jobs' huge public relations effort build around the launch of the iPhone went off mainly as planned, FSJ sat down for an open-ended instant-message conversation with News.com.

**** Music Label iPod Tax Behind Universal-iTunes Standoff? <http://blog.wired.com/music/2007/07/universal-throw.html>
by Eliot Van Buskirk, Wired

**** Read/Write To NTFS Drives In OS X <http://www.hackszine.com/blog/archive/2007/06/howto_readwrite_to_ntfs_drives.html?CMP=OTC-7G2N43923558>
by Hackszine.com

**** VisualHub Video App Updated For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/07/02/visualhub/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** iPhone Safari Isn't Safari 3.0, And Other Development Surprises <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/07/03/iphone-safari-isnt-safari-3-0-and-other-development-surprises>
by Justin Berka, Ars Technica
iPhone Safari is not the same as Safari 3, which many people were thinking was the case. It's not the same as Safari 2, either, since the version of Safari on the iPone was apparently forked somewhere in between.

**** GarageSale 3.2: eBay Auction-Listing Software Geared For Power Sellers <http://www.macworld.com/2007/07/reviews/garagesale32/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Tony Bojorquez, Macworld
The amount of control it provides over the auction-listing process will especially appeal to more-experienced eBay sellers.

**** Celebrate Independence Day With Your Mac <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/07/03/celebrate-independence-day-with-your-mac/>
by Dave Caolo, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
Tomorrow is Independence Day in the US, which we celebrate by drinking alcohol, eating outdoors, and blowing things up (in that order). Here's how you can get your Mac in on the fun.

**** Researchers Demonstrate Laser-Based Hard Drive Technology <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070703-researchers-demonstrate-laser-based-hard-drive-technology.html>
by Joel Hruska, Ars Technica

**** Why Not Here? <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/02/AR2007070201555.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Eugene Robinson, Washington Post
The United States, for all its faults, is still the most inclusive society on Earth. Our nation has a way of making outsiders into participants, a way of convincing people that they are protagonists, not just pawns. The United States can fall short of its promises, but it has a genius for manufacturing possibility.

**** I Have Been Given A Baseball... <http://www.slate.com/id/2164500/>
by Alan Michael Parker, Slate

**** The Fine Art Of Lying <http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2007/07/04/keillor/>
by Garrison Keillor, Salon
When you're spinning a story you have to know when to make your exit. One little detail can throw the whole thing off.

**** True Or False: The Major Religions Are Essentially Alike <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19389350/site/newsweek/>
by Stephen Prothero, Newsweek
Coming at the problem of religion from the angle of difference rather than similarity is scary. But the world is what it is. And both tolerance and respect are empty virtues until we actually understand whatever it is we are supposed to be tolerating or respecting.

**** Hands <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2007/07/09/070709po_poem_sprackland>
by Jean Sprackland, New Yorker

**** Sunday Morning Walk <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2007/07/09/070709po_poem_james>
by Clive James, New Yorker

**** If I Vanished <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2007/07/09/070709fi_fiction_dybek>
by Stuart Dybek, New Yorker

**** A Summer Camp Where Fireworks Are The Point <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/03/science/03boom.html?ex=1341115200&en=b468e86ca8289dab&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by John Schwartz, New York Times
There aren't many wholesome explosions in the news these day, but those are what Summer Explosives Camp provides.

**** Message In A Bottle <http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/117/features-message-in-a-bottle.html>
by Charles Fishman, Fast Company
Americans spent more money last year on bottled water than on iPods or movie tickets: $15 billion. A journey into the economics&mdash;and psychology&mdash;of an unlikely business boom. And what it says about our culture of indulgence.

**** The Newspaper Of The Future <http://www.slate.com/id/2169763/fr/rss/>
by Jack Shafer, Slate
If we're lucky, it will look something like the newspaper of the past.

**** Minister Criticizes Singapore Over Treaties <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailheadlines.asp?fileid=20070704.@03&irec=2>
by Jakarta Post
Defense minister Juwono Sudarsono accused Singapore on Tuesday of trying to undermine negotiations on the Defense Cooperation Agreement with Indonesia.
Juwono said the Singaorean government wanted the DCA negotiations to be abandoned so it would not have to sign an extradition treaty, which is being treated as part of one package with the defense pact, with Indonesia.
See Also:
Indonesia Says Singapore Trying To Scuttle Defence Pact <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/286200/1/.html>, by Sujadi Siswo, Channel NewsAsia.

**** Steady Drop In Number Of Cut Waste Ides Over The Years <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/286085/1/.html>
by Lin Yanqin, Today
It started out with a bang in 2003, receiving wide support from the public for its aim in cutting public wastage.
But response to the Cut Waste Panel &mdash; which draws on suggestions from the public &mdash; has cooled down significantly over the past four years.

**** Uniquely Singapore Enbloc Fever <http://alien-whinge.blogspot.com/2007/07/enbloc-fever-in-singapore.html>
by Whinges Of An Alien
The law here seems to be working for the owner's or the agent's favour.

**** Singapore Fighter Jets Not Allowed In Our Airspace <http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/7/4/parliament/18206117&>
by The Star
There have not been any talks since 1998 between Malaysia airspace to be used by fighter jets belonging to the republic, foreign minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar said.

**** Officials Discuss Health, Climate Change <http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/07/03/ap/health/main3014993.shtml>
by Associated Press
Officials from more than a dozen Asian countries met Tuesday in Malaysia to outline health problems their populations are facing in relation to a rise in global temperatures.
Singapore saw mean annual temperatures increase 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit between 1978 and 1998, while the number of dengue fever cases jumped 10-fold during the same period.

**** Big Shock At Hospital Over Missing Sister <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/198020.asp>
by Neo Beng Lin, Today
Sister had been moved to another bed, but nurse said she had died.

**** Outrage Over MM Lee's Remarks On Johor IDR <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_135565.html>
by Straits Times
Minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew's recent remarks about Johor's Iskandar Development Region (IDR) are causing a stir in Malaysia's parliament, in its media and among its online community.
In the past two days, parliamentarians, editorial columnists and bloggers alike have lashed out at MM Lee and Singapore in reaction to his comments which suggested, among other things, that Malaysians were not keen on Singapore investing in the IDR.

**** Keep Cab Fares Simple <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_135584.html>
by Han Songguang, Straits Times
LTA must recognise the failure of the market mechanism that currently exists and intervene accordingly. The state must take ownership of the problems; the stand 'Sorry, but the industry is deregulated and we cannot do anything about it' reply in the newspapers' forum pages will not do.
/And it is wrong to say that the taxi industry is deregulated. (I don't think LTA ever said that.) What is deregulated, for example, is the cost structure. But there are still plenty of things being regulated: age of taxi drivers, minimum service standards, etc. It is not truly a free market, and LTA is, of course, to be partly blamed of the sorry state of affairs./

**** Why Weren't Processes Tightened After '88 Error? <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_135608.html>
by Gerald Kok Seng Kiat, Straits Times
A similar incident occurred in 1988 when Mr Quek Kee Chong was caned 48 times when he should have been given only 24 strokes. Did the authorities learn from that error and tightened the processes?

**** Feeling The Strain <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/198040.asp>
by Tan Hui Leng, Today
As the number of dengue cases increase, the bed crunch at public hospitals here may get worse, warned health minister Khaw Boon Wan.
"All public hospitals are actively monitoring dengue admissions and discharges to manage the bed situation, and this may include cutting back on elective surgery," said a Ministry of Health spokesperson.
Previously: Singapore Urges Action As Dnegue Hits Epidemic Level: Report <http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/07/03/asia/AS-MED-Singapore-Dengue-Outbreak.php>, by Associated Press.

The Shuffe by MyAppleMenu

**** In The Summertime <http://www.archive.org/details/dnove2006-07-30.schoeps_ccm41lg>
by Delta Nove