[MyAppleMenu] Jan 7, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jan 7 13:15:00 EST 2007

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Apple, Microsoft To Unveil Digital Media Systems
<http://news.com.com/Apple,+Microsoft+to+unveil+digital+media+systems/2100-1041_3-6147823.html>
Reuters

*** Mac OS X Developers Watch Month Of Apple Bugs
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2079624,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Daniel Drew Turner, eWeek

Developers of applications for Apple's Mac OS X have been watching the Month of Apple Bugs project closely, and are generally in favor of the project's goal of uncovering OS flaws. But they, and security companies, have questions about the MOAB group's method, which involves making their findings public immediately, instead of first alerting Apple.

[Opinion]

*** Educated Guessing About Macworld
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003511850_ptmacc06.html?syndication=rss>
Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times

This year, the anticipation is high because Apple has openly discussed two major near-term products: the Mac OS X 10.5 system release, named Leopard, due in spring, and the "iTV," a Mac-to-home entertainment adapter that will be released under another name.

[Review]

*** Mac OS X Shines In Comparison With Windows Vista
<http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196800670>
John C. Welch, InformationWeek

I've yet to see anything in Vista that blows away the Mac OS, even a version of the Mac OS that's over a year old. Microsoft still can't manage to make something simple and easy to use. Vista reeks of committee and design by massive consensus, while OS X shines from an intense focus on doing things in a simple, clear fashion and design for the user, not the programmer.

[Sidetrack]

*** Rumor Today: .Mac Upgraded To 30 Gigs?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Will Steve Jobs announce .Mac drive's disk space will be increased to 30 Gigs <http://www.nickstarr.com/2007/01/06/mac-upgrade-to-30-gigs/>? This might tempt quite a few Mac users, including me, to join .Mac immediately.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Analysts Criticize, Debate Hybrid DVD Plans
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2079767,00.asp>
Mark Hachman, PC Magazine

*** Technology 'Embraced By Public'
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6238309.stm>
Darren Waters, BBC News

More people than ever are becoming early adopters of technologys, says research outlined in Las Vegas.

*** Attack Of The Zombie Computers Is A Growing Threat, Experts Say
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/07/technology/07net.html?ex=1325826000&en=2d1ccd4e0cd204b8&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
John Markoff, New York Times

In their persistent quest to breach the internet's defenses, the bad guys are honing their weapons and increasing their firepower.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** Unconsumption
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/07/magazine/07wwln_consumed.t.html?ref=magazine>
Rob Walker, New York Times

Most everybody knows -- particularly in the aftermath of the consumption-frenzy holiday season -- that utility can fade, pleasure can be fleeting and the whole thought-that-counts thing is especially ephemeral. Apart from the usual solution to this problem (more new stuff!), it's worth pondering whether getting rid of stuff can ever feel as good as getting it.

*** Katrina Victims Find A Solution: Modular House
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/06/us/06modular.html?ex=1325739600&en=703e9b194bed73aa&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Leslie Eaton, New York Times

Modular houses, which range from simple shotgun-style cottages to fancy minimansions, are starting to appear across the Gulf Coast.

*** Mr. Ford Gets The Last Laugh
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/06/opinion/06chase.html>
Chevy Chase, New York Times

I've often thought how odd it was that we became linked together. It's not like we had a lot of common. But linked together we were. And not just in the obvious ways.

[Expressions]

*** The Agoraphobic's Holiday
<http://www.latimes.com/features/magazine/west/la-tm-calstory01jan07,1,1108689.story?coll=la-headlines-west>
Jill Glass, Los Angeles Times

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** Why Is This Life-Saving Device Not Found In Many Workplaces?
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:434d8efcb78ff010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Nur Dianah Suhaimi, Straits Times

[Opinion]

*** Population Growth Not Essential To Wealth Creation
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2007/01/population-growth-not-essential-to.html>
My Singapore News

*** The Eye That Popped Up From Nowhere
<http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-700.htm>
Yawningbread.org

Malaysians seem to have a rather more gung-ho attitude towards infrastructure projects while Singapore planners give the impression of being oh so deliberate, taking years to make a decision, evaluating every conceivable angle. And even then, our tourism porjects quite often do not work out.

*** Why University Students Do Not Drive Social Change In Singapore
<http://www.oikono.com/wordpress/?p=252>
Oikono