[MyAppleMenu] Jan 6, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jan 6 13:15:00 EST 2007

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Apple Quietly Canned Lawyer Who Backdated
<http://www.law.com/jsp/ca/PubArticleCA.jsp?id=1167991338429>
Justin Scheck, The Recorder

Wendy Howell, the former in-house Apple lawyer responsible for option paperwork, probably won't be attending Jobs' eagerly awaited Macworld speech Tuesday. Late last year, she became the lone person to lose her job as a result of the company's well-publicized options problems.

*** CES, Macworld Duel For Dollars
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72422-0.html?tw=wn_index_2>
Rob Beschizza, Wired News

Big money's at stake as manufacturers compete for market share.

*** Apple's Macworld Opens Arms To Corporate Users
<http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/010707-apple-mcworld.html>
Jennifer Mears, Network World

There will be a heightened focus on enterprise customers as Apple has in the past couple years bolstered its standing as a viable server alternative in corporate data centers.

*** Macworld Buzz: Will Mac Pros Move To Eight Cores?
<http://www.techweb.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=196801549>
Sharon Gaudin, TechWeb

Some analysts are predicting that Apple may announce a Mac desktop that sports eight processors at the Macworld Expo next week.

*** Mobius 8: Invisible Touch
<http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/mobius/>
Dustin Driver, Apple

[Opinion]

*** Ten Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Switched To OS X
<http://switch.nilthacker.net/nil/ten-things-i-wish-i-had-known-before-i-switched-to-os-x/>
/home/nil/switch/

I decided to put together a list for everyone else who is new to the Macintosh operating system.

*** Admit It, iPod Resistance Can Be Futile
<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/columnists/16389542.htm>
Mike Cassidy, San Jose Mercury News

>From where I sit (the comfy swivel chair, unless my wife beats me to it), I can see that Apple has taken over our living room. And I'm convinced that taking over the rest of the world is only a matter of time.

*** Intelligent Design In A Big Printer
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/creative/2007/01/z3100-intelligent-design/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Rick LePage, Macworld

While I was setting up a new printer that arrived recently, I was so blown away by a few intelligent design choices made by the manufacturer that it shot straight to the top of my list.

*** Trade Show Showdown
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/expo/2007/01/expovsces/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** The "Most Connected" Americans Watch The Most Network TV
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070105-8556.html>
Nate Anderson, Ars Technica

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** And You'll Be A Moviegoer, My Son
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/05/movies/05note.html?ex=1325653200&en=37847e400fd50d2a&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
A.O. Scott, New York Times

At their best, movies not only offer glimpses of fantastic imaginary worlds, but also inklings of what is, for children, the most intriguing and enigmatic world of all: the world of adulthood.

*** Saddam Should Have Been Studied, Not Executed
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-dawkins4jan04,0,5577883.story>
Richard Dawkins, Los Angeles Times

Sparing Hussein and studying his makeup could have provided valuable research.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** Idaho Base Awaits Singapore AF
<http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/4450396.html>
John Miller, Associated Press

Worried about defense cuts at this base in the bleak Idaho desert, people here are turning to a tiny island nation for a little air support.

[Opinion]

*** Disappointed By Valuair
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaileditorial.asp?fileid=20070106.F06&irec=5>
Budhi Santoso, Jarkarta Post

It is not clearly stated on the Valuair website that a person in a wheelchair cannot travel with Valuair.

*** Boycott Bee Cheng Hiang!
<http://sparklette.net/archives/boycott-bee-cheng-hiang/>
Sparklette.net

I know Bee Cheng Hiang is a long way from adding any banned substance to its products, but it clearly doesn't have the social responsibility to ensure that its products are suitable for human consumption.

*** A Happy Nude Year
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/164300.asp>
Neil Humphreys, Today

And here's to my naked ambition for Sentosa.

*** Singapore's Prison Call Center
<http://www.callcentermagazine.com/blog/archives/2007/01/singapores_pris.html>
Harry Sheff, Call Center Today

What's interesting to me about this center is that unlike the typical American prison center, the focus is on inmate rehabilitation, not on cheap labor.