[MyAppleMenu] Jan 1, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jan 1 13:15:00 EST 2007

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Apple's Intel Migration
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/01/01/01FEtoysb4_1.html>
Tom Yager, InfoWorld

The leap to dual-core Woodbridge sets the stage for Leopard.

*** If 2006 Was 'Momentous' For Apple, What Does '07 Hold?
<http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9006862&source=rss_news10>
Ryan Faas, Computerworld

As exciting as 2006 was for Apple fans, 2007 promises to be even bigger.

*** iPod Owners Report Whining Sound Emanating From 2G Nanos
<http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/31/ipod-owners-report-whining-sound-emanating-from-2g-nanos/>
Engadget

[Opinion]

*** One Week With MacBook Pro
<http://www.subbu.org/weblogs/main/2006/12/one_week_with_m_1.html>
subbu.org

Apple does set a standard for integration.

*** Is iTunes And iPod A Monopoly?
<http://www.thomas-fitzgerald.net/2006/12/31/is-itunes-and-ipod-a-monopoly/>
Thomas Fitzgerald

The irony is that it was Apple fighting for a fairer deal for consumers that has probably been the biggest contributor to the success of iTunes.

[Wintel]

*** Why Vista Is IT's Big Headache
<http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=operating_systems&articleId=273867&taxonomyId=89&intsrc=kc_feat>
Mark Hall, Computerworld

I'm guessing long-held prejudices against the Mac will prevail this year.

*** Why Vista Is IT's Big Opportunity
<http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=operating_systems&articleId=273881&taxonomyId=89&intsrc=kc_feat>
Frank Hayes, Computerworld

If we make prying ourselves loose from things that lock us in the focus of this Vista upgrade, our next operating system upgrade might be a lot smoother. And less painful for us and for users. And a lot less expensive.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Looking For The Next Google
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/01/technology/01search.html?ex=1325307600&en=5fb9c9a36e8ccb8d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Miguel Helft, New York Times

Even as Google continues to outmaneuver its main search rivals, Yahoo and Microsoft, plenty of newcomers -- with names like hakia, ChaCha and Snap -- are trying to beat the company at its own game.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** Snackmakers Chew Over Ideas As America Munches Into The New Year
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/31/AR2006123100972.html>
David Segal, Washington Post

The American appetite for snacks, much like the American waistline, is always expanding, so the search for the next great flavor never ends.

*** Long-Ago Snow
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/31/nyregion/thecity/31snow.html?ref=thecity>
Mitch Keller, New York Times

With the exception of the rare power blackout, nothing disrupts life in New York like a winter storm. This was especially true a century ago, long before conveniences like the Weather Channel and 24/7 takeout, and devices like computers and cellphones that make instant communication possible.

*** The Lonely Newspaper Reader
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/01/business/media/01carr.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
David Carr, New York Times

As I sat at the kitchen table, I marveled at the low price of a newspaper that had once preoccupied the conversation around my dinner table. Then I looked at the four papers on the table and the empty chairs that surrounded them.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** Idaho Looks To Singapore Air Force To Bolster Military Economy
<http://www.magicvalley.com/articles/2007/01/01/ap-state-id/d8mcbvdo7.txt>
John Miller, Magic Valley Times-News

Base officials and Idaho locals alike are hoping the arrival of newcomers from one of Asia's wealthiest nations at a permanent "bed-down" will help stabilize the $430 million infusion the military pumps into the region annually.

*** Tiger Airways Looks To Retailing For Business Model
<http://www.aviationweek.com/avnow/news/channel_awst_story.jsp?id=news/aw010107p3.xml>
Bardley Perrett, Aviation Week

Singapore's Tiger Airways is turning itself into a franchise business like a fast-food chain, sidestepping restrictions on traffic rights in Southeast Asia and, in effect, forming an airline alliance in which the affiliated carriers trade solely under the brand of the group, not under their own names.

[Opinion]

*** New Year Message 2007
<http://app.sprinter.gov.sg/data/pr/20061231999.htm>
Lee Hsien Loong, Singapore Government

Now is the time to press on with restructuring and prepare well ahead for a more challenging future.

*** Did HDB Land Pricing Use Raffles Place As Rule?
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:55930f5d338df010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Viktor Ye Kok Kheong, Straits Times

Would the HDB like to comment how this has affected the pricing and allocation of subsidy of new HDB flats?

*** Treading Warily In The Digital Age
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/12/31/focus/16445331&sec=focus>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

When people refer to Singapore as the world's most globalised country, they're mostly thinking of trade and investment, rarely about the social impact to its people. Yet that's where the hardest punch will come from.

*** Barricaded New Year 07
<http://lilien.wordpress.com/2007/01/01/barricaded-new-year-07/>
Lien's Life As It Is

*** So How I Find Singapore So Far?