[MyAppleMenu] Feb 6, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Feb 6 13:15:00 EST 2006

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[Opinion]

*** One Of These Decades, They'll Learn That
<http://doc.weblogs.com/2006/02/04#oneOfTheseDecadesTheyllLearnThat>
Doc Searl

So many of these companies seem to think, deep in their paranoid recesses, that growth in an industry comes from control. It doesn't. It comes from openess and generosity.

*** The Walt Within
<http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20060202.html>
Robert X. Cringely, PBS

What if Disney's prize wasn't Pixar, but Jobs?

[Review]

*** You'll Like The Intel Transition, If Apple Keeps Chipping Away
<http://www.dailybreeze.com/business/articles/2262811.html>
Matthew Fordahl, Associated Press

Apple, at least so far, seems to have done a good job at making sure all old programs run seamlessly on the new Mac and that its programs run on older Macs.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Focus On The User, Not The Technology
<http://publishing2.com/2006/02/05/focus-on-the-user-not-the-technology/>
Publishing 2.0

It doesn't matter to most people whether they are in the "RSS world" or not. What matters to them is whether they can find what's "relevant."

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** A Legacy Of Joy To The Last Note
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/05/AR2006020501061.html?nav=rss_opinion/columns>
John Feinstein, Washington Post

"Your father is Martin Feinstein and you spend your time at basketball games? Don't you understnd who he is?"

*** Credit Card Sharks
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/03/AR2006020302606.html?nav=rss_opinion/columns>
Jim Sollisch, Washington Post

Many consumers might still be better off owing a loan shark money than a credit card company. Here are seven ruthless practices that credit card issuers engage in and loan sharks don't.

*** Looking For The Lie
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/magazine/05lying.html?ex=1296795600&en=815543ccceeab6fb&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Robin Marantz Henig, New York Times

The liar stereotype exists in just about every culture, and its persistence "would be less puzzling if we had more reason to image that it was true." What is true, instead, is that there are as many ways to lie as there are liars; there's no such thing as a dead giveaway.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[Ramblings]

*** 70 Hours Of No MediaCorp DJs
Heng-Cheong Leong

MediaCorp Radio DJs are keeping quiet for 70 hours for charity <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/191774/1/.html>? Great idea. Now, if only they can keep quiet for the rest of the year, and hire some competent DJs and hosts and interviewer and reporters to take over the talking duties, life will be great.

[News]

*** Vision Of A Vibrant Johor
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Monday/National/20060206082939/Article/index_html>
Ravi Nambiar, New Straits Times

News of work beginning on the 'scenic bridge' to replace the Causeway across the Johor Strait has been a talking point in both Malaysia and Singapore. Although it is all happening in Johor, state leaders have said little about the project. Menteri Besar Datuk Abdul ghani Othman speaks of why the bridge is so important for Johor.

*** Syed Hamid: Bridge Talks With Singapore Not 'A Sign Of Weakness'
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Monday/NewsBreak/20060206173616/Article/index_html>
New Straits Times

Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar said Malaysia's approach to continue talks with the republic was strategically driven and with reason.

*** Bridge Issues Narrowed Down To Those That Can 'Take Off': Syed Hamid
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,369380,00.html?>
Peh Shing Huei, Straits Times

"I think we have narrowed down and focused on a few issues that we think can take off, where there is general agreement; like the question of a full bridge, the question of what type of trade-off that Singapore can get out of agreeing to certain things like the bridge."

*** Malaysia, Singapore Identify Specific Issues On Bridge Proposal
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=178769>
Bernama

*** Much Ado Over Plenty
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/2/5/focus/13297036&sec=focus>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

Singapore's "external" investment has steadily become a bright spot that promises a more secure economic future.

*** Singapore, KL Committed To Talks On Full Bridge
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,369217,00.html?>
Lydia Lim and Lynn Lee, Straits Times

[Opinion]

*** BadBranding at Singapore
<http://news.imagethief.com/blogs/china/archive/2006/02/05/5771.aspx>
ImageThief

You would think that the manifestations of "@" that I run into these days would be the last of a dying breed; fading survivors of the dot-com boom days, when anything that evoked the internet was sexy by definition. But, alas, it is not so.

*** STB Said 90 Days OK But... Tourist Stay Limited To 60 days
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,369393,00.html?>
Anthony Storey, Straits Times

If the Singapore government agrees that a British citizen may stay for 90 days, why can the ICA not implement this?

[Entertainment]

*** Chingay
<http://www.fergus-macdonald.com/?p=131>
Fergyboi