[MyAppleMenu] Apr 27, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Apr 27 13:15:01 EDT 2006

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Profiles In Success: Wildern School: Macs Fuel Academic Turnaround
<http://www.apple.com/uk/education/profiles/wildern/index.html>
Apple

Innovation at Wildern School relies heavily on Apple technology, with more Macs than any other school in England.

*** Apple Set To Get Tough On iPod Illegals
<http://www.smarthouse.com.au/iPods_And_Portable_Players/iPod_Accessories?Article=/iPods%20And%20Portable%20Players/iPod%20Accessories/S8M5P8P5>
David Richards, Smarthouse

Officially authorised manufactuers of iPod accessories such as Belkin and Griffin have been told that Apple is set to take action against several vendors who are not part of an authorised "Made for Apple" program but are selling products into retailers at considerable lower price than authorised partners.

*** Apple Changes Tiger Retail Box
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=14484>
Macworld UK

Apple is changing its packaging for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, and is also ensuring the latest build (v10.4.6) ships in all retail boxes shipped.

*** Apple Updates Keynote, Pages
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=14480>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

*** Top Apple Executives Make Graceful Exits
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1954332,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Daniel Drew Turner, eWeek

Apple will look to a rising new generation of managers to ensure that the recent departure of two of the company's three most prominent managers won't spell the end to Apple's vibrant growth.

*** Domino iPods Star In Tekserve's Viral Ad
<http://cultofmac.com/?p=326>
Cult Of Mac

*** iPods: Trendy Fad Or Longtime Companion?
<http://www.collegiatetimes.com/news/3/ARTICLE/7032/2006-04-27.html>
Matt Rouch, Collegiate Times

*** In iTunes War, France Has Met The Enemy. Perhaps It Is France.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/27/technology/27scene.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Austan Goolsbee, New York Times

Sharing the iTunes codes would undermine the two innovations that Apple used to create the online market for legal music in the first place.

*** Recycling: Not Apple's Core Value
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/mac/0,70739-0.html?tw=rss.index>
Pete Mortensen, Wired News

Even after Apple unveiled its first free computer recycling program Friday, it still falls short of competitors like HP and Dell, observers say.

*** Samsung Snatches iPod Win From PortalPlayer
<http://news.com.com/2061-10793_3-6065385.html?part=rss&tag=6065385&subj=news>
Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com

[Opinion]

*** Converting To Mac: A Brave New World
<http://www.getasiteonline.com/?postid=84>
GetASiteOnline.com

I'm looking forward to using the Mac full-time. It is certainly more stable than Windows, and a lot more user-friendly.

*** Apple's Dominance In TV
<http://www.lostremote.com/archives/008278.html>
Cory Bergman, Lost Remote

*** When 'Smart' Cut/Copy/Paste Attack
<http://daringfireball.net/2006/04/smart_cut_copy_paste>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

Apple has taken a very simple, completely obvious feature and turned it into something governed by a complicated and undocumented set of rules that most users don't even know exist.

*** MacBook Pros Across Akihabara Running Windows XP
<http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/macbook-pros-across-akihabara-running-windows-xp-169718.php>
Gizmodo

[Review]

*** A Tiny Mouse Puts Computing In Children's Reach
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/27/technology/27mouse.html?ex=1303790400&en=a7d10d1a68d31575&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Warren Buckleitner, New York Times

[Sidetrack]

*** Yet Another Mac Vs Windows Comparison
Heng-Cheong Leong

Fast user switching in Mac OS X is a single-click affair. Click and select your name from the drop down list, type in your password, and you're done.

In Windows... Click #1: Start menu. Click #2: Log off. Click #3: Switch User. Click #4: Your name. After that, then you get to type in your password.

*** The Color Of Monopoly
Heng-Cheong Leong

Do you know why Bush chose to invade Afghanistan, Iraq, and, possibly, Iran? Bob Kaplow <http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/06/Apr/iran.html> has it all figured out.

:-)

[Wintel]

*** New Tricks Of A Brower Look Familiar
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/27/technology/27pogue.html?ex=1303790400&en=d4c96698c10121a1&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
David Pogue, New York Times

If you've never used anything but Internet Explorer, you won't be able to wipe the grin off your face. But next to rivals like Firefox, Opera and Safari, IE 7 is a catch-up and patch-up job. Some of its "new" features have been available in rival browsers for years.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Your Thoughts Are Your Password
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70726-0.html?tw=rss.index>
Lakshmi Sandhana, Wired News

What if you could one day unlock your door or access your bank account by simply "thinking" your password? Too far out? Perhaps not.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[World]

*** Troubled Island
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/gayrights/story/0,,1762155,00.html>
Gary Yonge, The Guardian

In Jamaica, where politicians are openly homophobic and song lyrics incite violence against gay people, coming out can be fatal.

[Life]

*** You, To, Can Right Like A Blogger
<http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,70733-0.html?tw=wn_index_5>
Tony Long, Wired News

Were Truman Capote alive today he might be moved to say, "That's not writing. That's blogging."

*** Do They Really Want The Part?
<http://www.calendarlive.com/printedition/calendar/cl-et-terrorist26apr26,0,466071.story?coll=cl-calendar>
John Horn, Los Angeles Times

The actors who play terrorists, suicide bombers and hijackers in this new crop of films are caught in a delicate predicament: The very things they find attractive in playing these parts -- three dimensional characters, understandable motivations, the occasional love interest -- also open up their films to criticism for humanizing individuals that some consider monsters.

*** Never Mind Mars And Venus: WHo Is 'The Decider'?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/26/washington/26decide.html>
Jennifer Steinhauer, New York Times

The president has unwitingly added to the lexicon of marital relations.

*** A Blog Smorgasbord
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/foodwine/2002953272_foodblog26.html>
Providence Cicero, Seattle Times

A new blog is created every second of every day, according to Dvid L. Sifrey, the founder of Technorati, a web site that tracks the blogosphere, keeping tabs on 36.5 million blogs. Perhaps a thousand of those are devoted to food, with several popular sites based in the Seattle area.

*** Good Enough To Fine
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/27/opinion/27hamilton.html?ex=1303790400&en=11f2a976486a1314&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Gabrielle Hamilton, New York Times

While the inspector is mandated to have a single-minded focus on the Department of Health's taste-illing rules, a good chef is driven by many concerns -- the health and well-being of her customer paramount among them -- and it is in her hands that I would rather entrust my eating experiences.

[EOF]

*** Comedy Of Errors No Joke As Pupils Get Wrong A-Level Text
<http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools/story/0,,1762272,00.html>
Sam Jones, The Guardian

*** Airbus Denies Standing Room 'Seats'
<http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/25/news/companies/airline_standing/>
Chris Isidore, CNN/Money

"Our passengers nd customers want more and more comfort. We're going in the direction of more comfort."

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[Nomination Day]

*** Singapore's Opposition Fields Enough Candidates For May 6 Polls
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=adYTOjZbAtX4&refer=top_world_news>
Bloomberg

*** PAP Denied Walkover Victory In General Election
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/205182/1/.html>
Julia Ng, Channel NewsAsia

The island's long-governing People's Action Party has been returned unopposed in 37 out of 84 seats in Parliament. This is 6 seats shy of a majority. However political analysts say there is no doubt that the PAP will form the government -- what is in question is their share of vots.

*** Walkovers Declared For PAP In 7 GRCs
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/205171/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The PAP has been returned unopposed in 7 Group Representation Constituencies on Nomination Day on Thursday. Walkovers for PAP were declared for Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC, Jurong GRC, Holland-Bukit Timah GRC, Marine Parade GRC, Tanjong Pagar GRC, West Coast GRC and Hong Kah GRC.

[GE06]

*** Elections Dept Confirms WP's James Gomez Did Not Submit Minority Form
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/205255/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Security camera footage shows Mr Gomez putting the form into his bag, and not submitting it.

*** Chee May Be Sacked From SDP's Executive Committee: Party Chairman
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/205196/1/.html>
Sharon Tong, Channel NewsAsia

The Singapore Democratic Party Chairman Ling How Doong says the party's Secretary-General Chee Soon Juan may be sacked from its Central Executive Committee.

*** Singapore's Ruling Opposition Parties Debate Political Freedom
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000080&sid=a9FkT1og2axc&refer=asia>
Bloomberg

Singapore's ruling People's Action Party yesterday clashed with opposition leaders in a public debate over political freedom in the run up to May 6 elections.

*** Full-Time MP, Yet Cheo Was Rejected By Voters: Dr Lee
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/205140/1/.html>
Jasmine Yin, Today

To which the SDA's Jalan Besar GRC team leader Sebastian Teo countered: "Let me reverse the question to him: I can be a good MP and if I can also serve full-time, won't this make me a better MP than him?"

*** Sembawang Key To Today's Equation
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/205137/1/.html>
Val Chua, Today

A huge question mark remains -- will Dr Chee Soon Juan's Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) turn up to contest the Sembawang GRC?

*** An Age-Old Debate
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/205143/1/.html>
Tor Ching Li, Today

Just how young do Singaporeans like their representative to be -- and does age really matter anyway?

*** Return Of The Queue -- This Time For Rally Spots
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/205146/1/.html>
Ansley Ng and Valerie Law, Today

Since Wednesday morning, more than 20 people have queued up outside the Police Elections Liaison Office to be among the first to book a rally site.

[Election Talk]

*** Not Bad, 47 Seats Contested
<http://blog.gerek.org/2006/04/not-bad-47-seats-contested.php>
Zuco's Blog

*** GE Nomination Day
<http://krisyorange.blogspot.com/2006/04/ge-nomination-day.html>
Orange Pink Sky

Why is that our monthly income is so low and yet we have to bear so much expenses.

*** PAP's Rigorous Selection Process
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/04/paps-rigorous-selection-process.html>
Singapore Election Watch

If I were selecting people as MPs the first fundamental question I would ask is "Are you committed enough to Singaporeans to serve the people full time?" The PAP candidates fail on this fundamental question.

*** How The Ruling Party Twists The Courts To Their Favour
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/04/how-ruling-party-twists-courts-to.html>
Singapore Election Watch

*** Workers' Party, People's Action Party And Ministers' Salaries
<http://www.djourne.net/sgelection06/index.php/2006/04/27/workers-party-peoples-action-party-and-ministers-salaries/>
Sg Election

The PAP ministers might have forgotten that their high salaries is a privilege when Singapore is performing well and not an entitlement regardless of economic ups and downs.

*** Lee Hsien Loong's Lack of Integrity
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/04/lee-hsien-loongs-lack-of-integrity.html>
Singapore Election Watch

He is not a man of Confucian Integrity. He is a graspingLegalist, debasing himself with mean-spirited and crudely repressive political tactics.

*** Modest But Real Steps Mean More To Voters
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,388462,00.html?>
Chua Chong Jin, Straits Times

*** Next Stop, Potong Pasir
<http://chemgen.blogspot.com/2006/04/next-stop-potong-pasir.html>
Chemical Generation Singapore

Chiam might have humiliated the MIW's blue-eyed boy Mah Bow Tan in 1984, but Mah as Minister of National Development since 1999, is in a way using HDB upgrading to get back at Chiam.

[News]

*** Dr Mahathir Comes Out With 16-Point Rebuttal On Bridge Decision
<http://www.malaysia-today.net/Blog-e/2006/04/dr-mahathir-comes-out-with-16-point.htm>
Bernama

The spat between Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad and the government over its decision to scrap the building of a bridge to replace the Causeway linking Malaysia and Singapore continued THursday with the former prime minister saying he was not convinced at all with the reasoning why the bridge could not be built.

*** 'Talks Not Only Way To Resolve Issues'
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Thursday/National/20060427084324/Article/index_html>
New Straits Times

Things remain unclear as to how Malaysia would resolve outstanding bilateral issues with Singapore now that all negotiations have been called off.

[Opinion]

*** Why Can't Kiosk Staff Sit?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/114979.asp>
Boey Yee Kwong, Today

*** Flight Of 'Mr. Chicken Rice' Stirs Singapore Over National Dish
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000088&sid=a2MFasSkphqQ&refer=culture>
Yoolim Lee, Bloomberg

One of the most anticipated new eateries in Singapore this year was a food stall in a shopping mall. It serves a single dish, based on an old Chinese recipe, available in at least 290 other places on the island.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]