[MyAppleMenu] May 24, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue May 24 13:15:00 EDT 2005

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[Top Stories]

*** Sun's McNealy Sounds Off; Gates Faces Tough Questions; Apple's Jobs Talks Podcasts
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/0,,SB111684809888140520-uxjBS77gsFQvsi4ikXZzNxZjpd8_20060523,00.html?mod=free>
Jason Fry, Wall Street Journal

Jobs proclaimed himself a solid believer in the "halo effect" of iPod sales fueling Mac sales, pointing to strong growth in recent quarters.

[News]

*** iPod Plug-In Sets Music Free
<http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,67593,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Katie Dean, Wired News

iPod users are raving about a plug-in that makes the Winamp digital jukebox a better way to manage the iPod than Apple's iTunes.

*** Apple Opens First Canadian Apple Store
<http://www.integratedmar.com/ECL.cfm?item=DLY052305-4>
Robert Dutt, eChannelLine Canada

Amidst much fanfare, Apple has opened its first Canadian direct retail location, the Apple Store at Toronto upscale Yorkdale Mall.

*** The Shot Phoned Round The World
<http://www.investors.com/breakingnews.asp?journalid=27796307&brk=1>
John Shinal, MarketWatch

Given the relative importance of digital muci to both Apple and Microsoft, one thing is clear: Jobs has more to lose, including an early lead.

*** Apple Explores Use Of Chips From Intel For Macintosh Line
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/0,,SB111680203134440188-fPAx52enO_b2lc50plweMhHHesI_20060523,00.html?mod=>
Don Clark and Nick Wingfield, Wall Street Journal

*** Book Chronicles Steve Jobs' Successful 'Second Act'
<http://www.usatoday.com/money/books/reviews/2005-05-23-icon-usat_x.htm>
Kerry Hannon, USA Today

Ultimately, iCon paints Jobs as a captivating captain of industry with an "uncanny power of persuation" and as a loving parent.

*** Apple Could Help Music Industry Cash In On Music Videos
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1088>
Katie Marsal, AppleInsider

According to Merrill Lynch's Steve Milunovich, the music industry would likely cooperate with Apple in the sale of music videos, which are often costly to produce but offer very little direct monetary return.

*** Potential Supply Deal Between Apple, Intel Stirs Buzz, Stock Price
<http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ibd/20050523/bs_ibd_ibd/2005523feature>
James Detar, Investor's Business Daily

Investors Monday bought shares in Apple and Intel following a report that resurrected a rumor that has popped up from time to time over the years.

*** Motorola iPhone Demoed At The D
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/05/23/motorola-iphone-demoed-at-the-d/>
C.K. Sample, III, Unofficial Apple Weblog

*** Podcasting In iTunes 4.9
<http://www.sixapart.com/pronet/weblog/2005/05/podcasting_in_i.html>
Six Apart

There appears two methods for inclusion into the store.

*** Steve Jobs Makes Us Work
<http://www.wonkette.com/politics/media/index.php#steve-jobs-makes-us-work-104568>
Wonkette

"The law is very clear... you aren't protected by the First Amendment if you are breaking the law."

*** Apple iPod To Catch Podcasts
<http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7BF3766B72-084C-431B-BD4A-F66B8726579E%7D&siteid=mktw&dist=nbs>
Frank Barnako, MarketWatch

"Users will submit their podcasts and Apple will be hand picking the content it makes available to iTunes users."

*** iTunes 4.8 Fiddles With File Names On iPods
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/05/23/itunes-4-8-fiddles-with-file-names-on-ipods/>
Scott McNulty, Unofficial Apple Weblog

The new file names consist of four, seemingly, random characters in an effort to make the database on the iPod a little faster.

[Opinion]

*** Why Apple Won't Embrace Intel
<http://www.forbes.com/technology/2005/05/23/cx_ah_0523apple.html?partner=rss>
Arik Hesseldahl, Forbes

If Apple doesn't take legal action, that says a lot about who may ultimately be the source of this latest rumor -- Apple itself.

*** Jobs On Suing Bloggers
<http://battellemedia.com/archives/001560.php>
John Battelle, Searchblog

At the core of this case is a clear attempt to draw a line between professional and amateur journalism, and as a practitioner of both, I have to say it's a very dangerous line to be drawing.

[Sidetrack]

*** Food, Singapore Style
Heng-Cheong Leong

If you are interested in the kinds of food I get to eat here in Singapore (besides the occasional Big Mac and Whopper), here's a great flickr photoset <http://www.flickr.com/photos/mylittlerascal/sets/109765/>.

*** Rumor Today: More On The Mac Tablet
Heng-Cheong Leong

iTab? PowerSlate? Anyhoo, someone over at Engadget <http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000310044375/> knows someone who heard that someone has actually touched a prototype of the rumored Mac Tablet.

*** Leander's Back
Heng-Cheong Leong

Leander Kahney <http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=1110454>: Things have settled down a bit, and I hope to continue the [Cult of Mac] blog as normal with daily posts.

Yipppe!

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Patent Reform -- Or Else
<http://news.com.com/Patent+reform--or+else/2010-1071_3-5717269.html?part=rss&tag=5717269&subj=news>
Dave Mock, CNET News.com

It makes more sense to address the fundamental issues with patents that can exacerbate issues with their use -- mainly, the quality of the patents and the process that validates them.

*** Never Too Young For A Copyright Lesson
<http://news.com.com/Never+too+young+for+a+copyright+lesson/2100-1027_3-5717670.html?part=rss&tag=5717670&subj=news>
Alorie Gilbert, CNET News.com

Think schools are just scaring kids about drugs, sex and poor study habits these days? Now you can put illegal file trading on the list.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Tech & Science]

*** Devolution
<http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/050530fa_fact>
H. Allen Orr, New Yorker

Why intelligent design isn't.

[Life]

*** Anti-Doctor And Anti-Death. What's A Guy To Do?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/24/health/24case.html?ex=1274587200&en=e98992d8eb734a04&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Dennis Overbye, New York Times

I'd like to say I am braver now, but the simple fact is that when push comes to shove I am more afraid of death than of the doctor. So I'll do what they say.

[Expressions]

*** The Crossing
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2118184/fr/rss/>
Jonathan Fink, Slate

*** The Russian Riviera
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/050530fi_fiction>
David Bezmozgis, New Yorker

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** More Women Turn To Abortions Instead Of Using Contraceptives
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/148948/1/.html>
Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia

More women are turning to abortions instead of using contraceptives to avoid unwanted pregnancy.

*** Cirque du Soleil May Boost Chances At Singapore Bid
<http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/gaming/2005/may/23/518797973.html>
Las Vegas Sun

MyAppleMenu Shuffle
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>