[MyAppleMenu] Mar 9, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Mar 9 13:15:00 EST 2005

Mac news for Mac people

*** iPod, You Pod, We All Pod
Kelly Reed, The Orion

Apple iPods, along with their signature white earphones, have become as ever-present around cmapus as their annoyingly catchy commercials have become on television.

*** Local Firms Ride Wave Of iPod Success
Jeanne Anne Naujeck, Tennessean.com

You may have just shelled out $300 for an iPod. But for the gadget geeks and Mac addicts, the spending has just begun.

*** Business Travellers Love Their iPods And Flat Beds
Globe And Mail

15 per cent of survey respondents rated their iPod an essential accessory.

*** Logitech Announces Their First iPod Speaker System
Dan Frakes, Playlist

*** Apple's Lawsuits To Guard Its Secrets Leave Mac Faithful With Bitter Taste
Terril Yue Jones, Los Angeles Times

Some now view Apple like a star turning on his fans, as if, say, U2 or Tom Cruise tried to shut down their fan clubs.

*** Linux Creator Torvalds Switches To An Apple Mac
Renai LeMay, ZDNet Australia

Linux creator Linus Torvalds said this afternoon that he's now running an Apple Macintosh as his main desktop, mainly for work reasons, although partly simply because he's a self-described "technology whore."

*** Inside Ranchero With Brent And Sheila Simmons

Just about everything you could think of is covered, and just about everything you'd never think of is covered, too...

*** VoiceNote Voice Recorder For iPod

*** Apple Shares Fall On Sony, Napster Fears
Joe Bel Bruno, Associated Press

Apple shares dropped Tuesday on concern of a relaunch of Sony's famed Walkman line and increased competition from Napster might take a bite out of its dominance of online music and portable layers.

*** Apple Dashboard Contest Winners Announced

The two winners were Alco Blom for Send SMS, and Michael Robinette for WikityWidget.

*** iPod Mini, Mac Mini, iBook Mini?
Scott Ard, CNET News.com

*** If The New York Times Jumped Off A Bridge
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

I no longer believe Apple's suit is an intimidation tactic -- I think their lawyers believe they have a winning case.

*** Podcasting, Music, And Me
Bill Riski, Carrying The Lantern

Gentle Readers, Michelle Malone, Mo'Jones, Lascivious Biddies, American Heartbreak, Enter the Haggis, and 3Canal. Thanks to podcasting, I've rediscovered music.

*** Mac Mini 2 Inches High, But It Has A Lot
Al Fasoldt, Syracuse Post-Standard

*** Getting Things Done With Your Mac
Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network

*** Make iPod eBooks
Phillip Torrone, Make:

Here's a quick, free, cross platform way to make iPod ebooks.

*** Universal Password Policy
Heng-Cheong Leong

A lot of news web sites are asking for registration nowadays, and that requires a user-id (usually your e-mail address) and a password. That's burden #1 for your user.

And to register, a lot of web sites ask for a lot of information that the user might have to think hard to think of some fake data. That's burden #2.

Then, some of these web sites (I'm not naming names...) demand that your password follows certain convention. Must be at least 8 characters. Must be exactly 8 characters. (Yes, I've encountered this.) Must have at least 1 numeric digit. That's burden #3.

By this time, the user will be asking, can't I get the same information elsewhere for free?

And so I closed the browser tab.

The Tomorrow Weblog

[Top Stories]

*** How InfoSpace Took Its Investors For A Ride
David Health and Sharon Chan, Seattle Times

Insiders were cashing out millions, and faithful investors were left with pennies.

*** Google Practices Dividing To Conquer
Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com

Google's 8 billion-plus Web document index may not multiply, but its search engine will learn to better divide the data.

*** EC: We'd Accept Software Patent Defeat
Matthew Broersma, ZDNet UK

The European Commission says it would let the software patent directive die if enough support was mustered against it in the European Parliament.

*** Where's My Personal Newspaper Page?
Steve Outing, E-Media Tidbits

*** How To Snatch An Expiring Domain
Mike Davidson

MyAppleMenu Reader
The other things in life

[Tech & Science]

*** Can You Count Your Chickens?
Roger Harris, American Scientist

Imagine life without numbers. Science as we know it would be impossible and, indeeed, so would modern civilization. Yet, some societies get along jsut fine without numbers greater than four or five.

*** Many Restaurants Put The Din In Dinner
Pia Catton, New York Sun

"Can you hear me now?" is a question associated with spotty cell phone service, but it's becoming more and more applicable to sitting down to dinner in New York.

*** The RIddle Of The Shrink
Nuar Alsadir, Slate

Life in the city

*** Singapore And Indonesia Locked In Dispute Over Shipment Of Organic Fertilizer
Farah Abdul Rahim, Channel NewsAsia

*** Singapore Reiterates Position On 'One-China' Policy
Hasnita A. Majid, Channel NewsAsia

"It would appear that the law restates China's known position against Taiwan's independence with a strong emphasis on peaceful resolution."

*** Singapore Tops Tech Economy Table
BBC News

Singapore has toppled the US from top spot in a ranking of world economies that make the best use of information and communication technoogy (ICT).

*** Hotels Here Still Short Of Singaporean Staff
Krist Boo, Straits Times

While fatter pay cheques are here with an improving economy, hotel chiefs say they still cannot convince Singaporeans to wait on tables, or change sheets.

*** Give Broad And Balanced Range Of Views
K. Bhavani, Press Secretary to the Ministry for Information, Communications and the Arts, Today

When [foreign journalists and writers] go beyond straightforward reporting to expressing opinions on regional issues, the [local] newspaper should make it clear that these are the views of foreign nationals and take extra care to maintain overall balance in its reporting and commentary.

MyAppleMenu Shuffle
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

*** When Love Goes Away
Symphonic Stereo, Do You Need A Heart?