[MyAppleMenu] Jul 7, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jul 7 13:15:00 EDT 2005

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[Top Stories]

*** London Rocked By Terror Attacks
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4659093.stm>
BBC News

[News]

*** Apple London Store Shut By London Bombs
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=12025>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

*** Bulletproof iPod?
<http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/07/07/armoured_ipod/>
Geoff Richards, bit-tech.net

*** Apple Cites Problem-Free Operation To Increase Market Share In Cebu
<http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2005/07/07/bus/apple.cites.problem.free.operation.to.increase.market.share.in.cebu.html>
Sun.Star Cebu

Apple's Macintosh aims to grow its market in Cebu by pitching its usefulness to computer users who do not want to suffer from downtime.

*** iTunes Gets The Beatles
<http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,161662,00.html>
Roger Friedman, Fox News

Thanks to Paul McCartney's participatio in the London Live 8 concert on Saturday, Apple's iTunes Music Store finaly has two Beatles song performed by its co-composer available for downloading.

*** Patent Reveals Universal Apple Wireless Touch-Screen Remote
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1164>
Kasper Jade, AppleInsider

Apple recently researched and developed a wireless touch-screen remote control concept that would automatically discover and communicate with existing and future consumer electronics appliances as well as the personal computer, a filing with the United States Patent and Trademark Office has revealed.

*** Demand Drag Gnaws On Apple
<http://www.thestreet.com/stocks/troywolverton/10230748.html>
Troy Wolverton, TheStreet.com

Announcements from two companies in the digital music sector -- and even from Apple itself -- suggest that demand has slowed in recent months.

*** Enter The iTunes 500 Million Tune Contest For Free
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/07/06/enter-the-itunes-500-million-tune-contest-for-free/>
Dave Caolo, Unofficial Apple Weblog

This amounts to placing an entry by simply emailing Apple.

*** Bare Bones Updates Free TextWrangler 2.1
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/07/06/bare-bones-updates-free-textwrangler-2-1/>
Laurie Duncan, Unofficial Apple Weblog

[Opinion]

*** Notes From A Switcher, Part 2
<http://www.pixelhum.com/archives/2005-07-06/notes-from-a-switcher-part-2/>
PixelHum

Although coming from Windows I've ha dquite a lot to get used to, the overall experience has so far been very positive.

*** What? Only Ten iPods?
<http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx?14@985.GHDNa6jP3ve@.3c4f5c5c!discloc=.3c6bb27d>
Geoff Duncan, TidBITS

Doesn't 10 iPods seem like an awkward first prize?

[Review]

*** Clean It Up Already
<http://www.jonsthoughtsoneverything.com/2005/07/06/clean-it-up-already/>
Jon's Thoughts On Everything

Overall I think Apple's 1.0 podcasting support is really really nice, its more than I've seen anyone else do on their initial try at a podcasting client and I expect more as time goes on.

*** Podcasting Is Still Not Quite Ready For The Masses
<http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/solution-20050706.html>
Walter S. Mossberg, Wall Street Journal

It's still way too complicated for the average user to create a podcast. Apple has sovled one part of the problem, but more solutions are needed.

*** Diner Dash
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/gameroom/2005/07/dinerdash/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

Diner Dash is a fun if somewhat frustrating action arcade game that harkens back to the classics.

*** AirPort Express Elevation
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2005/07/airbase/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

Maybe the AirBase is just one of those products you have to use to appreciate. Whichever the case may be, I plan on buying one.

*** iPod/Pioneer Adapter Installation
<http://www.bmddesigns.com/?p=3>
bmddesigns

*** Mail 2.0: Apple's New Email Program Is Imperfect But Innovative
<http://www.macworld.com/2005/07/reviews/mail20/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
William Porter, Macworld

The new Smart Milboxes feature is not quite mature, and the Find feature has gone from bad to worse. But smart mailboxes are a noteworthy and promising innovation, and Mail 2.0 is a beautiful program that works really well with other Apple programs.

[Sidetrack]

*** Second Try
Heng-Cheong Leong

Well, as Alternate.org <http://www.alternate.org/?p=1350> points out, Leopard is not really the first time that Apple has ported Mac OS X to the Intel processor.

Remember Rhapsody?

*** Rumor Today: No Special Event This Week
Heng-Cheong Leong

AppleInsider <http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1163>: It's no longer expected that Apple on Thursday will host a special event to introduce new music-related products... Sources say either Apple France or Apple Europe on Thursday will brief some media outlets on [existing Apple and third-party] iPod-related products.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** A Safe Browser? No Longer In The Lexicon
<http://news.com.com/A+safe+browser+No+longer+in+the+lexicon/2010-1071_3-5777036.html?part=rss&tag=5777036&subj=news>
Art Manion, CNET News.com

Attackers havve begun to exploit vulnerabilities similar to IE's in alternative browsers.

*** The Good, Bad And Ugly Of Contextual Ads From Google, Yahoo
<http://www.ojr.org/ojr/stories/050706glaser/>
Mark Glaser, Online Jouralism Review

*** Fear Of Spyware Changing Online Habits
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/rss/12068201.htm?source=rss&channel=siliconvalley_rss>
Associated Press

Internet users worried about spyware and adware are shunning specific web sites, avoiding file-sharing networks, even switching browsers.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** Dad's Empty Chair
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/07/opinion/07herbert.html?ex=1278388800&en=0f07219578020ca4&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Bob Herbert, New York Times

Black kids would be tremendously better off if the cultural winds changed and more fathers felt the need to come home.

*** Sesame Street Forever
<http://www.laweekly.com/ink/05/32/music-walker.php>
Jesse Walker, LA Weekly

A serious consideration of an estimable discography -- because it's time.

*** One Way To Get Around L.A. And Still Beat Traffic
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-et-salem6jul06,1,6069581.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
Hugh Hart, Los Angeles Times

Lisa Salem is covering the city by foot while recording her experiences on a blog.

*** Scent Of A Woman
<http://www.villagevoice.com/nyclife/0528,ff2,65707,15.html>
Corina Zappia, Village Voice

Equal-opportunity marketing for stinky women and puny men.

*** Daedalus And Icarus Revisited
<http://www.thenewatlantis.com/archive/8/rubin.htm>
Charles T. Rubin, The New Atlantis

The debate enshrined in Daedalus and Icarus suggests that today the great increase in our powers co-exists with a diminished capacity to think about them with any kind of moral realism.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** Ccmfort, Yellow-Top Cabs To Stagger Midnight Surcharge
<http://www.asia1.com.sg/st/st_20050707_327085.html>
Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times

*** Want To Charge For That Bag?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/60052.asp>
Lee U-Wen, Today

Under NEA plan, retailers may put a price on bags if they want to.

*** Names For 12 Circle Line MRT Stations Unveiled
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/60104.asp>
Today

[Opinion]

*** Yesterday In Today: Can We Really Quantify Who Is Singaporean?
<http://spaceislost.blogspot.com/2005/07/yesterday-in-today-can-we-really.html>
SpaceIsLost

*** Bloggers.SG 2005 -- Change In Venue And Other Updates
<http://tomorrow.sg/archives/2005/07/05/bloggerssg_2005_-_change_in_venu.html>
Tomorrow.sg

[Entertainment]

*** Where Not To Eat In Singapore: Cafe Cartel
<http://www.toomanythoughts.org/blog/2005/07/where-not-to-eat-in-singapore-cafe.html>
Tym Blogs Too

The moral of the story: Only go to Cafe Cartel if you're eating ice cream, which is commercially produced by an external supplier and can't be screwed up. Eat all other prepared food at your own risk. I will never eat there again -- and this time I mean it.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]