[MyAppleMenu] Jul 6, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jul 6 13:15:00 EDT 2005

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Podcast Users Expected To Reach 60 Million In Five Years
<http://informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=165600711>
Antone Gonsalves, InternetWeek

*** Apple Executive Calls Family Of Teenager Killed For iPod
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/06/nyregion/06ipod.html>
Kareem Fahim, New York Times

"We have the technoogy that can give us the iPod and everything else, but it's not all these things," said Errol Rose, whose son was killed last week in Brooklyn during a fight over an iPod. "We have to work on the minds and the hearts. We're failing these kids. We're not loving them like we're supposed to."

*** iGuy For iPod Mini Now Available
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/07/05/iguuy-for-ipod-mini-now-available/>
Laurie Duncan, Unofficial Apple Weblog

*** Denon Intros High-End Home Theater With iPod Integration
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/07/05/denon-intros-high-end-home-theater-with-ipod-integration/>
Laurie Duncan, Unofficial Apple Weblog

*** Apple Patent Watch: June 2005
<http://www.thinksecret.com/news/patents05july.html>
Think Secret

Apple was granted a half-dozen patents in June, including two design patents.

*** iPodlounge Loves Japan: New Imported Accessory Gallery
<http://ipodlounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/ipodlounge-loves-japan/>
Jeremy Horwitz, iPodlounge

*** Abt Taking Locks Off Its Apple Merchandise With An In-Store Boutique
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/chi-0507050096jul05,1,1594487.story?coll=chi-news-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true>
Becky Yerak, Chicago Tribune

A Glenview-based electronics retailer is polishing up the department selling Apple gizmos and gadgets.

*** Google Maps Widget
<http://www.command-tab.com/index.php/google-maps-widget/>
Command-Tab

[Opinion]

*** Witnessing History: Apple's Strategy
<http://www.it-director.com/article.php?articleid=12794>
Arnold Reinhold, IT-Director.com

It's rare that one gets to watch grand strategy played out right before one's eyes. Apple's decision to switch from IBM to Intel as its microprocessor supplier is one of those moments in corporate history.

*** Apple Begins Podcasting Turf War
<http://www.itworld.com/Tech/3494/nls_ecommerceapplepod050706/>
James Lewin, ITWorld.com

Apple's implementation is very focused on the idea of a podcast as a radio show. This helps Apple make podcasting easy to understand, but it's also a limiting perspective.

*** Myth Busting 101: There Is No Mac Software
<http://graynews.maine.com/2005-07-01/techtalk.html>
Marc L. Rubinstein, The Gray News

There are fewer Macintosh than Windows applications, but with four or five award-winning word processors, who needs sixty?

*** Apple Marketing: Just Who Are They Targeting?
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/07/05/apple-marketing-just-who-are-they-targeting/>
David Caolo, Unofficial Apple Weblog

I only hope I'll one day see an ad that simply states, "Here's why this machine is great, and why we think you'll love it."

*** The Uses Of Podcasting
<http://austinpauls.blogspot.com/2005/06/uses-of-podcasting.html>
Austin Pauls

[Review]

*** Maximize Your iPod
<http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8244195/>
Noah Robischon, Budget Travel

The ultiamte on-the-go gadget can do a lot more than just play tunes.

*** iNotes: Remote Possibilities
<http://business.bostonherald.com/reviews/view.bg?articleid=92649>
Tom Rose, Boston Herald

If there's one trend that stands out in the world of iPod accessories, it's the growing utilization of remote controls that allow users to skip songs, pause a selection or tweak the volume.

*** Bad Mojo: The Roach Game Redux
<http://www.applelinks.com/p5/index.php/more/review_bad_mojo_the_roach_game_redux/>
Erica Marceau, Applelinks

*** An Introduction To Tiger Terminal, Part 3
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/07/05/terminal3.html>
Mary Norbury-Glaser, O'Reilly Network

Here, we'll look at some helpful commands that you can use to view information about your network.

*** Real Wood iPod
<http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2005/07/05/wood_ipod_zapwizard/1.html>
ZapWizard, bit-tech.net

As part of Project Redwood I am also applying a wood finish to just about everything on my desk to havve a matching set. And the iPod was not excluded.

*** War Driving Gear For OS X
<http://www.gorillamilkshake.com/?p=26>
GorillaMilkShake

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** IT Knowledge Is A Dangerous Thing, Say CIOs
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/management/0,39020654,39207462,00.htm>
Colin Barker, ZDNet UK

User group CIO Connect says that chief information officers find it difficult to match the expectations of the business, just as the business is getting smarter about IT.

*** Small Screens Spell Turkey
<http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,68068,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Holly J. Wagner, Wired News

Despite claims of lofty sales for some movies in the PSP's proprietary disk format, it's not clear whether people want to watch movies on a small screen.

*** A Tool To Wake Up Wi-Fi Zombies
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,68056,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Cyrus Farivar, Wired News

The problem: Computers are fabulous at connecting people over a long distance, but they can become a wall between people who are sitting right next to each other.

*** Entering A Dark Age Of Innovation
<http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7616>
Robert Adler, New Scientist

[Internet]

*** Amazon.com Sitting Pretty 10 Years Later
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/05/AR2005070500197.html?nav=rss_technology>
Elizabeth M. Gillespie, Associated Press

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** Hallowed Grounds: Singapore's Coffee Culture
<http://www.boston.com/travel/articles/2005/07/06/hallowed_grounds_singapores_coffee_culture/>
Rob McKeown, Boston Globe

Coffee drinkers share a common ground whether holding a Styrofoam cup from Dunkin' Donuts or sipping from a delicate porcelain espresso cup in Italy.

*** Ballroom Dancing Is Hot To Fox Trot
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/05/AR2005070501696.html?nav=rss_print/style>
Jose Antonio Vargas, Washington Post

It's the summer of the rumba, the summer of the cha-cha, the summer of the waltz. The summer when you -- yeah, you, the guy over there snickering -- wondered: Why ballroom dancing? Why now?Why not?

[Expressions]

*** Kingdoms Of Slow Days
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2118822/fr/rss/>
David Tucker, Slate

[EOF]

*** Contest Winner Declines 'Free' Airline Tickets
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/0,,SB112061365613778106-c6oihwTUPsdBbPzIt7GmxSZcqSY_20060705,00.html?mod=rss_free>
Melanie Trottman and Ron Lieber, Wall Street Journal

In today's cut-rate airline pricing environment, American's valuation is far more than a winner would likely pay if he or she simply bought the tickets. The result: the tax bill could be higher than the tickets actually sell for.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** Ministers Get Guidelines On Gifts And Business Code Of Conduct For Ministers, PAP MPs Overhauled
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/59928.asp>
Tor Ching Li, Today

The revised code now includes additional rules concerning the acceptance of gifts, the proper use of official information and disclosure of private information and directorships.

*** Animal Rights Protest Staged At Jurong
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/59922.asp>
Jasmine Yin, Today

The two Filipino volunteers from international animal rights organisation People for the Ethnical Treatment of Animals (Peta) were protesting against the alleged abuse of animals in clinical testing by Covance.

*** MediaCorp, BBC Renew Radio Agreement
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/59932.asp>
Today

This will see the BBC World Service Radio Broadcast remain on Singapore's airwaves indefinitely.

[Opinion]

*** Bus And Train Fare Hike Poster
<http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2005/07/bus_and_train_f.html>
mr brown

I loved the way the poster said "Fare Adjustment" instead of "Fare Hike."

*** Hallowed Grounds: Singapore's Coffee Culture
<http://www.boston.com/travel/articles/2005/07/06/hallowed_grounds_singapores_coffee_culture/>
Rob McKeown, Boston Globe

Coffee drinkers share a common ground whether holding a Styrofoam cup from Dunkin' Donuts or sipping from a delicate porcelain espresso cup in Italy.

*** Tanks In The Heartlands, Again
<http://lzydata.djourne.net/?p=2293>
l.z.y./Data

It doesn't mean I have to like it when tanks go past our City Hall and HDB blocks as if this were Moscow, Beijing or Pyongyang.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]