[MyAppleMenu] Dec 10, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Dec 10 13:15:00 EST 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Apple Stakes Bethesda Row Claim
<http://washington.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2004/12/06/daily24.html>
Jeff Clabaugh, Washington Business Journal

Apple picked Washington for its first-ever retail store three years ago. It is opening it's 100th store in this area too.

*** Microsoft Delivers Blow To Mac Users
<http://www.bigblueball.com/news2/article.asp?id=747>
BigBlueBall

Mac users are unlikely to see Video or webcam functionality [in Microsoft's MSN Messenger] for at least another several years due to compatibility issues.

*** 'Podcast' Your World
<http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1210/p12s03-stct.html>
Stephen Humphries, Christian Science Monistor

Digital technology for iPod does for radio what blogs did for the Internet.

*** Apple: Widget Writers Wanted
<http://news.com.com/Apple+Widget+writers+wanted/2100-1016_3-5486309.html>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

Apple is hoping the possibility of winning a free iPod will prompt developers to start writing widgets -- small Mac programs that will run in the next version of Mac OS X.

[Opinion]

*** My Apple Shop-Within-A-CompUSA Experience
<http://www.themacmind.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=619&mode=nested&order=0&thold=0>
Steve Salas, TheMacMind

Don't count out your local CompUSA. There are a few Apple-educated people working there.

*** Security Issues Plague Windows-Based PCs, Impairing Ease Of Use
<http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20041209.html>
Walter S. Mossberg, Wall Street Journal

In terms of ease of use, Apple has opened a greater lead over Microsoft than at any time since the late 1980s.

*** You Know You Migght Be A Mac User If
<http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/38766.html>
Paul Murphy, LinuxInsider

Ask a typical business Mac user to tell you about his or her computer, and they'll usually talk mainly about the application software they use. Ask a PC user the same question, and you usually get about equal numbers of people who first tell you which Windows variant they have and people who focus on the megas -- whether bytes or hertz.

*** Analysis: Will Subscriptions Drown Out iTunes?
Philip Michaels, MacCentral

Competitors may be lining up to take on Apple. But pardon the company if it's not exactly fretting about the growing number of subscription services gunning for its business.

[Review]

*** Apple iPod Mini Is Gadget Of Year
<http://www.freep.com/money/tech/mwend10e_20041210.htm>
Mike Wendland, Detroit Free Press

The mini can sometimes be very difficult to find because of all the demand. Be patient. Apple's making them as fast as they can. It's worth the wait. The mini rocks.

*** iPod Gift Week: Stocking Stuffers
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/todayatplaylist/2004/12/giftweekstuffers/index.php>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

*** Portable Protection
<http://www.macworld.com/2004/12/secrets/decmobilemacside/index.php>
Frith Gowan, Macworld

It's a rough-and-tumble world out there. So your spotless new iBook, PowerBook, or iPod won't stay that way for long unless you adopt some prophylactic tactics. Here are a few options.

*** The Trip: Gadgets Get Graded
<http://www.shanghaidiaries.com/archives/2004/12/04/the_trip_gadgets_get_graded/>
Dan Washburn, Shanghai Diaries

The iPod looks really, really cool. And that's all that really matters.

*** Music To The Eyes
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/MacMan/Music-to-the-eyes/2004/12/08/1102182304147.html>
Garry Barker, Sydney Morning Herald

iPod photo is beautifully crafted and a pleasure to use.

*** Keynote Is No. 1 With A Bullet
<http://business.bostonherald.com/technologyNews/view.bg?articleid=57358>
Eric Convey, Boston Herald

Apple programs are seldom about letting experts do everything. More often, they're designed to let people who are less than experts do an awful lot easily. Keynote fits this model.

[Sidetrack]

*** The Awards Keep Coming In
Heng-Cheong Leong

Apple's iMac G5 is the best product of the year over at Fortune <http://www.fortune.com/fortune/photoessay/0,18467,785749-6,00.html>.

*** Congrats And Good Luck
Heng-Cheong Leong

Dan Gillmor <http://weblog.siliconvalley.com/column/dangillmor/archives/011101.shtml>, from San Jose Mercury News, is leaving for a new job to work on citizen-journalism. Good luck, and I'm pretty sure we're going to hear great things from him real soon.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** The Shlemiel Way Of Software
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2004/12/09/spolsky/index_np.html>
Scott Rosenberg, Salon

Author Joel Spolsky talks about what Microsoft has in common with his grandparents and what Isaac Bashevis Singer has to do with code-generating schemes.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** Can The Movies Rescue America?
<http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2004/12/09/movies_2004/index_np.html>
Charles Taylor, Salon

In a year when Mel Gibson and Michael Moore exploited our deep divisions, we needed more Incredible films to bring us together.