[MyAppleMenu] Dec 7, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Dec 7 13:15:00 EST 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Print, Peel, Stick
<http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=547404>
Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac

*** Apple Stock Rises On Hint Of Low-End iPod
<http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=internetNews&storyID=7008348>
Reuters

Shares of Apple rose 4.9 percent on Monday after some analysts said they expected the company to introduce a smaller, cheaper iPod digital music player in January that would boost profits.

*** Oracle Uses Apple Storage Gear
<http://news.com.com/Oracle+uses+Apple+storage+gear/2100-1015_3-5480045.html?part=rss&tag=5480045&subj=news.1015.20>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

Apple's rack-mounted storage system received a vote of confidence Monday, with database giant Oracle endorsing the Xserve RAID as part of an initiative to cut storage costs.

*** Apple Threatens iTunes.co.uk Owner
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/06/apple_itunescouk_domain_dispute/>
Kieren McCarthy, The Register

[Opinion]

*** Player Can't Hit The High Notes
<http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2004/12/06/player_cant_hit_the_high_notes/>
John P. Mello Jr., Boston Globe

While some folks have rapped Apple for keeping its iTunes -iPod ecosystem hermetically sealed from third-party song sellers and hardware hawkers, there's an indisputable advantage to the strategy: it works.

*** The iPod Year In Review 2004
<http://www.ipodlounge.com/articles_more.php?id=5726_0_8_0_C>
iPodlounge

*** Overpowering The PowerBook Keyboard
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2004/12/keyboardrot/index.php>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

My third G4, a late-model 17-inch version, is now exhibiting the same trouble I've had with my last two: Keyboard rot.

[Review]

*** Choosing Backup Software
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=07912>
Joe Kissell, TidBITS

It is extremely important that you read the fine print, and understand exactly what it is you're looking for.

*** Enterprise SAN For Mac OS X Server, Part 1
<http://www.computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/hardware/story/0,10801,98082,00.html>
Yuval Kossovsky, Computerworld

*** MacTruck And Curve Shoulderbag
<http://www.aaronadams.net/article.php?story=20041206142712383>
Aaron Adams, aaronadams.net

The MacTruck acts as a protective shell for the PowerBook, and then it inserts into a pocket in the Curve bag, which holds everything else.

*** A Practical Use For .Mac Slides
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/2004/12/dotmacslides/index.php>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

[Wintel]

*** Lenovo Confirms Talks With 'Major' IT Company
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/12/06/HNlenovo_1.html>
Martyn Williams, IDG News Service

Lenovo won't say who it's talking to but all eyes are on IBM.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** A Library And Cinema In Your Pocket
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/07/books/07cell.html?ex=1260162000&#38;en=ff2c834ccde0bc52&%2338;ei=5088&%2338;partner=rssnyt>
Doreen Carvajal, New York Times

The increasing power of cellphones is fast shaping innovative forms of compact culture: micro-lit, phone soap operas and made-for-mobile dramas that can be absorbed in less time than it takes to flick through a book introduction.

*** Beating China's Google Censors
<http://redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=11004>
Red Herring

While activists complain, entrepreneurs act.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Tech & Science]

*** String Theory, At 20, Explains It All (Or Not)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/07/science/07stri.html?ex=1260162000&#38;en=4909ca7abb8b39ae&%2338;ei=5088&%2338;partner=rssnyt>
Dennis Overbye, New York Times

String theorists agree that it has been a long, strange trip, but they still have faith that they will complete the journey.

[Life]

*** The Picture Problem
<http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?041213fa_fact>
Malcolm Gladwell, New Yorker

Mammography, air power, and the limits of looking.

[Expressions]

*** Gods In Exile
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2110740/fr/rss/>
James Longenbach, Slate

*** Disaster Stamps Of Pluto
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?041213fi_fiction>
Louise Erdrich, New Yorker

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** Government Okays Media Merger, With Strings Attached
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/singapore/story/0,5562,289110,00.html?>
Joyce Teo, Laurel Teo and Sherwin Loh, Straits Times

MediaCorp TV must continue to provide local content on its free-to-air TV channels, said the MDA.