[MyAppleMenu] Dec 6, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Dec 6 13:15:01 EST 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Peripherals For The iPod
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/12/06/BUG6HA5BAV1.DTL>
Matthew Yi, San Franciso Chronicle

The instant iCon isn't enough. Now you need all its new accessories.

*** Consumers Dreaming Of An iPod Christmas
<http://www.theage.com.au/news/Breaking-News/Consumers-dreaming-of-an-iPod-Christmas/2004/12/06/1102182206612.html?oneclick=true>
AAP

*** Invasion Of The (i)Pod People
<http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/12/05/sunday/main659126.shtml>
David Pogue, CBS News

And every month, another one million people join their ranks.

[Opinion]

*** Apple Of IBM's Eye?
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/06/ibm_apple_speculation/>
Cormac O'Reilly, The Register

An even better and more audacious speculation is that once publicly free of the PC division, IBM will either buy, or form a close joint venture with Apple to sell its PCs, which coincidentally are now built around IBM's PowerPC chip.

*** The iPod Is A Stealth Tool To Sell More Apple Macs
<http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20065>
Doug Mohney, The Inquirer

At first glance, the theory sounds a little weak... On the other hand, there are three points in favour of an "iPod uplift" to Mac sales.

*** Apple Vs Creative Tech
<http://www.forbes.com/technology/2004/12/06/cx_ah_1206mondaymatchup.html?partner=rss>
Arik Hesseldahl, Forbes

Creative has another interesting ace in its deck: Microsoft.

[Review]

*** What Are You Getting Your iPod?
<http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_50/b3912132_mz070.htm>
Jay Greene, BusinessWeek

Perhaps it's time to accessorize.

[Sidetrack]

*** NeXT
Heng-Cheong Leong

Dave Winer <http://archive.scripting.com/2004/12/05#When:11:55:51PM> found this quote from the "Inkernet": The election is over, the talking is done. My side has lost, and your side has won. Now let's all pull together, let bitterness pass. I'll hug your elephant. You kiss my ass.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[Top Stories]

*** Innovation And Disruption Still Going Hand In Hand
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/06/business/businessspecial2/06compete.html?ex=1259989200&#38;en=819595f74fac4782&%2338;ei=5088&%2338;partner=rssnyt>
Eduardo Porter, New York Times

The actual new economy might not look quite like the utopian arrangement envisaged by the stubbled gurus of the dot-com period -- where everything brilliant was done online by 22-year-olds. But from the global outsourcing of business processes via the Internet to Wal-Mart's sophisticated logistics management systems, information technology is reshaping businesses and markets.

[News]

*** Spyware On My Machine? So What?
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,65906,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Michelle Delio, Wired News

Not all web surfers think spyware is a problem. Some say the snoopy software is a fair trade-off for free applications, even with the intrusion into their computers and lives.

*** Beijing Loves The Web Until The Web Talks Back
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/06/business/businessspecial2/06net.html?ex=1259989200&#38;en=a5e114e4af1ab103&%2338;ei=5088&%2338;partner=rssnyt>
Tom Zeller Jr., New York Times

The rise of China's Internet hinted at more freedoms, but it also promised the govenment a new and effective means of monitoring its citizens.

*** Bootstrapping The Semantic Web
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/12/03/49OPstrategic_1.html>
Jon Udell, InfoWorld

Tim Berners-Lee's quest to give the Web meaning receives aid from unexpected quarters.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** Lead To Letterman, One Night A Week
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/06/arts/television/06lett.web.html>
Bill Carter, New York Times

With help from "CSI," "Late Show With David Letterman" is clearly faring better than Jay Leon's "The Tonight Show" on Mondays.

*** Religion: The Birth Of Jesus
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6653824/site/newsweek/>
Jon Meacham, Newsweek

>From Mary to the manager, how the Gospels mix faith and history to tell the Christmas story and make the case for Christ.

*** Little Vegas
<http://www.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=9408>
Stephen Janis, City Paper

What can Maryland's troubled history with slot machines tell us about the odds for the future?

*** La Scala Proudly Emerges From A Drama Of Its Own
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/05/arts/music/05ridi.html?8hpib>
Alan Riding, New York Times

To the astonishment of many, in an opera world where passions can be as heated offstage as on, this particular drama appears to be ending happily.

*** Playing Doctor
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2004/12/05/playing_doctor/>
Joe Yonan, Boston Globe

Why see a doctor when you can test yourself for infertility, diabetes, HIV, colon cancer, and other things? Because maybe that test isn't telling you all you need to know.