[MyAppleMenu] Jan 15, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jan 15 21:05:01 EST 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Journalism 101: You Had To Be There (Tom Yager, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/03/01/13/030113opnoise.xml>
Not one writer who claimed to have reliable inside sources at Apple was on the level. Apple's people kept their mouths shut and every nondisclosure agreement was honored. Steve Jobs got to surprise his Macworld audience. I couldn't be more pleased.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Apple Not To Everyone's Taste (David Akin, The Globe And Mail)
<http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/PEstory/TGAM/20030115/RSTOC/Business/business/businessMoneyMarketsHeadline_temp/4/4/24/>
Some analysts sour on firm's prospects despite new wares.

Now Playing: The Human Genome (Scarlet Pruitt, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/03/01/14/030114hngenome.xml?s=IDGNS>
Life sciencie technology is about as cutting-edge as it gets, but now it's apparently also hip.

J2EE Servers Reach Planet Apple (Jack Vaughan, ADTmag.com)
<http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=7154>
JRun 4 for Mac OS X could provide a low-cost alternative to some pricey Java servers now running on Unix or Windows.

Microsoft Commits To At Least One More Office Rev (MacSlash)
<http://www.macslash.org/articles/03/01/14/1949249.shtml>

Maya Gets Oscar For Technical Achievement (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0301/14.oscar.php>
Alias|Wavefront, has been awarded an Oscar for its development of Maya software, their professional 3D animation and effects package.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Technology Press Versus Mac Users (Mac Night Owl)
<http://macnightowl.com/#jaguar>
Millions of Mac users may not embrace Jaguar or its successors for years and maybe never.

Is Apple Getting Too Cool Again? (Alex Salkever, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2003/tc20030115_3994.htm>
Steve Jobs wowed the Macworld faithful with more amazing stuff. My only worry: All this hardware, software, and stores could be distracting.

It's Crunch Time For Apple - Again (Yeong Ah Seng, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/techscience/story/0,4386,166218,00.html>
There is little doubt that Mac OS X is going places, but ultimately, third-party developers will have to be persuaded that there is a big enough market for their products.

Mac OS X Is Slow, But Safari Makes A Big Difference (Julio Ojeda-Zapata, Pionner Press)
<http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/business/technology/personal_technology/4938537.htm>
Safari has the best bookmarking system I’ve seen. This browser is a keeper.

Baffling Software/Music Industry Copyright Deal (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://weblog.siliconvalley.com/column/dangillmor/archives/000729.shtml#000729>
The ultimate meaning of these policy principles, which talk so smarmingly about "meeting the needs and expectations of our customers," is in the reality that we, the customers, are not really part of this process. These companies are dividing up the world. Our interests are secondary.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Mac2Phone Delivers At Last (Ron Carlson, Insanely Great Mac)
<http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=1532>
Mac2Phone almost rocks.

iCab 2.9 Web Browser Released (Charles W. Moore, Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2003/01/20030114122253.shtml>

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Microsoft To Give Governments Access To Code (Steve Lohr, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/15/technology/15SOFT.html?ex=1043211600&en=495b753200f669a9&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE>
To try to slow the acceptance of the Linux operating system by governments abroad, Microsoft is announcing today that it will allow most governments to study the programming code of its Windows systems. Under the program, governments will also be allowed to plug their security features instead of Microsoft's technology into Windows.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Credit Card Faurd Help Policies Vary (Bob Sullivan, MSNBC)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/858786.asp?0si=->
Victims find Visa offers refunds on PayPal, Discover doesn't.

Lack Of A Viable Business Model Is Stifling Software Innovation (Mitch Wagner, Internet Week)
<http://www.internetwk.com/breakingNews/INW20030114S0003>
Innovation in software development is being stifled by a broken business model, and Dave Winer is trying to figure out how to get things going again.

XHTML 2 And All That (Jeffrey Zeldman)
<http://www.zeldman.com/daily/0103b.shtml#skyfall>
W3C does have a problem, but it can be fixed.

Pop-Ups, The Ads We Love To Hate (Margaret Kane, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-980563.html>
Pop-up ads seem to be the Internet equivalent of supermarket tabloids: Everyone claims to hate them, but somebody keeps reading.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
The Internet Nanosecond (Robert J. Samuelson, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57209-2003Jan14.html>
Innovation faltered, and the web became a giant white elephant.

Spam Confab: Hackers To Rescue? (Justin Jaffe, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,57190,00.html>
Hackers from around the world will converge on MIT on Friday to swap intelligence and marshal their collective brainpower for the fight against a seemingly indomitable opponent.

Dell Eyes Linux Future Despite Desktop Retreat (Ashlee Vance, IDG News Service)
<http://www.itworld.com/Tech/2325/030114dell/>
In the case of the Linux desktop, Dell pulled back on large investments in 2001 as demand faltered, Dell said. But this failure has not stopped the company from attacking the nascent markets for HPCC (high-performance computing clusters) and for Linux clusters running Oracle Corp. database software.

Hollywood And Silicon Valley: Together At Last? (Katharine Mieszkowski, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/01/15/hollywood_tech/>
A new industry agreement on digital copyright issues says the government should stay out of enforcement. But it's a little late for that, says one expert.

Baffling Software/Music Industry Copyright Deal (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://weblog.siliconvalley.com/column/dangillmor/archives/000729.shtml#000729>
The ultimate meaning of these policy principles, which talk so smarmingly about "meeting the needs and expectations of our customers," is in the reality that we, the customers, are not really part of this process. These companies are dividing up the world. Our interests are secondary.

RFID Tags: Big Brother In Small Packages (Declan McCullagh, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2010-1069-980325.html>
Could we be constantly tracked through our clothes, shoes or even our cash in the future?

Dell Is Whistling Winn-Dixe (Ian Fried, init)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-980477.html>
Dell is helping supermarket chain Winn-Dixie keep its shelves stocked.

My Wish List For Web Services (Bob Sutor, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-980511.html>
It’s up to us in the IT industry, with feedback from our customers, to build the middleware and applications that can provide the total systems integration to get us to on-demand computing.

Nokia Calls On Linux Programmers (Stephen Shankland, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-980589.html>
Nokia, the top seller of mobile phones, has released software to let Linux programmers develop Java software for its cell phones, the company said on Tuesday.

China Blocks Bloggers' Sites (New Scientist)
<http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993260>
State control of the internet in China may have found a new target with many "bloggers" unable to update their web journals, apparently because of government restrictions.

The Internet Takes To The Air (BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2657829.stm>
The days of a journey on an aircraft being a welcome break from the hurly burly of modern life are over.

University Computers Crippled By Electronic Bomb (Associated Press)
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2003-01-14-ebomb_x.htm>
Ohio State University computers were clogged for several days last month after someone sent an electronic bomb of 11 million e-mail messages into the system, officials said.

Stealth Antennae Try To Blend In (Michelle Delio, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,57199,00.html>
Clear, wide-ranging wireless service requires bigger, more plentiful antennas. But no one wants a hulking mass of metal blocking the scenic view. Solution? Hide the antennas in the scenery.

Search Engines Get "Gatored" (Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-980572.html>
The Gator online advertising network is testing a new paid search product that lets rivals poach on each other's territory in one of the Net's hottest new marketing venues.

Transmeta Notches Up Notebook Security (John G. Spooner, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-980521.html>
Chipmaker Transmeta is aiming to help notebook owners tighten the security of their personal data by incorporating into its Crusoe line features that protect sensitive information.

W3C Finalizes Graphics Standard (Paul Festa, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-980630.html>
The Web's leading standards group put its seal of approval on a new specification for graphics technology tailored for use by cell phones and other small networked devices.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
Is This The Last Stand For Media Diversity? (Brian Lowry, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.calendarlive.com/tv/lowry/cl-et-lowry15jan15.story>
Assuming that the government further relaxes rules that were previously eased in 1996, you can bank on even fewer media companies owning or controlling more of what we see and hear.

Just Whose Presidency Is This? (Fred Wertheimer, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57210-2003Jan14.html>
Nearly 30 years ago, Americans resoundingly said the presidency belongs to the people -- and the White House was taken off the auction block. The time has come to do it again.

Study Explodes Myth Of Area's 'Hypersegregation' (Bruce Murphy, Journal Sentinel)
<http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/jan03/109872.asp>
For nearly four decades, researchers across the country have savaged the reputation of Milwaukee and other Northern cities, ranking these metro areas as the country's most segregated. That assessment is dead wrong.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
The Internet Nanosecond (Robert J. Samuelson, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57209-2003Jan14.html>
Innovation faltered, and the web became a giant white elephant.

Hollywood And Silicon Valley: Together At Last? (Katharine Mieszkowski, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/01/15/hollywood_tech/>
A new industry agreement on digital copyright issues says the government should stay out of enforcement. But it's a little late for that, says one expert.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
The Burger Takes Center Stage (Ed Levine, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/15/dining/15BURG.html>
New York, my research has documented again and again, is a hamburger heaven.

Don't Pay To Play (Steven Johnson, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2076653/>
Why grown-ups shouldn't spend money on video games.

BBC Honcho Smirks At U.S. Copycat Shows (Tim Goodman, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/01/14/DD65754.DTL>
You want to see what American networks will be doing in the next year or two, look to Britain. More specifically, look to the BBC.

Free Speech Takes A Hit In Our Nation's Newsrooms (Mary Jo Melone, St. Petersburg Times)
<http://www.sptimes.com/2003/01/12/Columns/Free_speech_takes_a_h.shtml>
We're super-sensitive. We're afraid. In trying to be what we think is fairminded, we have plain and simple gone too far.

Content Is Crap (Arnold Kling, Tech Central Station)
<http://www.techcentralstation.com/1051/techwrapper.jsp?PID=1051-250&CID=1051-011303A>
Creative Commons is based on a naive ideology that believes that raw content is gold, which then gets stolen by the evil media companies. In reality, the economics of content are that most of the value-added comes from the filtering process, not the creation process.

The Curse Of Pooh (Devin Leonard, Fortune)
<http://www.fortune.com/fortune/print/0,15935,404206,00.html?>
Sure, kids love him. But he's made everyone close to him miserable. Just ask Disney, which is locked in a billion-dollar battle over his rights.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
The Pet (Cate Marvin, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2076438/>

MyAppleMenu Reader : EOF
------------------------
The Formula For Happiness (BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2630869.stm>
Happiness = P + (5xE) + (3xH)

Stealth Antennae Try To Blend In (Michelle Delio, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,57199,00.html>
Clear, wide-ranging wireless service requires bigger, more plentiful antennas. But no one wants a hulking mass of metal blocking the scenic view. Solution? Hide the antennas in the scenery.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
We'll Defend 'Sovereignty' Over Pedra Branca: Najib (Reme Ahmad, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/asia/story/0,4386,166193,00.html>
The Asean way of resolving issues is being jeopardised by some members who have become more belligerent, said Malaysian Defence Minister Najib Tun Razak yesterday.

Big Changes Ahead For HDB Division (Soh Wen Lin, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,166149,00.html?>
>From July, its Building and Development Division, which employs around 3,000 workers, will be corporatised -- turned into a company -- as part of a wider restructuring programme, the HDB told The Straits Times yesterday.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.