[MyAppleMenu] May 23, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed May 23 21:05:04 EDT 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

Tech-Book Site Aids Apple Developers (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=2937>
The first two books from the O'Reilly collection to go online will be Learning Cocoa and Learning Carbon.

MacNN Web Site Partners With NewsFactor (Insanely Great Mac)
<http://www.insanely-great.com/news/01/797.html>
Many forum readers are concerned over the new design of the site, in addition to potential changes in Mac OS coverage.

Amelio Gives His Thoughts On Apple, More (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0105/23.amelio.shtml>
"I can say that the strategy that we put in place during my term there seems to still be the guiding strategy for the company."

Apple To Exhibit At The Strictly eBusiness Solutions Expo (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0105/23.show.shtml>
The theme for this years show is "Tired of Tinkering with Technology?" and will showcase the latest technology and trends regarding information security, technology convergence, networking and wireless communications to help IT professionals and business owners find the right technology for their companies.

Corel Affirms OS X Rollout, Offers Promotion (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=6574>

LaCie Introduces New FireWire DVD-RAM/R Drive (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/05/23.5.shtml>

Sheer Shopping Heaven For Apple Buffs (BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/may2001/nf20010523_049.htm>
Make no mistake: The first-ever Apple store has all the panache consumers come to expect from the clear iMac and titanium PowerBook. Design has always been Apple's forte. Now if Steve Jobs can just sell some computers.

Certification Comes To The Mac (The Business Mac)
<http://www.thebusinessmac.com/features/certification.shtml>
This a very exciting development for all Mac users, but especially for those in the business community looking for a way to ensure some level of experience among support people.

Combo Drive iBook Goes Retail, CD-RW Goes BTO (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0105/22.ibook.shtml>
Originally available only as a build-to-order option from the Apple Store, the combo drive-equipped iBook will now be available as a retail option.

Trade Asssociation Intros New FireWire Standard (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0105/22.firewire.shtml>
1394b incorporates bandwidth improvements -- while the interface in its current implementation on the Mac is limited to a still-hefty 400Mbps, IEEE 1394b knocks the standard up to 3.2Gbps using plastic optical fiber.

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ===============

Will Apple Buy Handspring? (Morningstar)
<http://news.morningstar.com/doc/article/0,1,4705,00.html?hSection=fromAnalysts>
For someone like Steve Jobs, to whom good design is a religion, getting the brains behind the first successful mass-market handheld in house would be a real coup.

Mac: A Dream Fulfilled (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/first/78.html>
The dream that I had in tenth grade of having a Mac and creating with it was a reality -- and every bit as good as I had dreamed.

Will Apple Retail Stores Kill 3rd Parties (Macinstein)
<http://www.macinstein.com/pressrelease.cfm?ID=945>

Apple Trends - Bigs News Once A Week, Every Week (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/9924.html>
In retrospect to what we've just learned, rather than ask, "What technology will Apple give us next week to enhance our computer using experience," I think a more appropriate question would be: "What technology is Apple preparing next month to enhance our next decade?"

Steve Jobs' Bold Gamble: Preloading Mac OS X (Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/index.htm>
This is clearly a psychological ploy.

The Seed Of A Web Services Plan (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-201-6006108-0.html?tag=cd_mh>
This basing of Mac on Unix gives the vast majority of enterprises, which do not use the Macintosh platform, no reason to consider migrating to Apple. It gives organizations that do still use Macintoshes a glimmer of hope that this will prove the first shift by Apple to a Web services focus.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

Blizzard Games (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/gaming/010523.html>

New iBook Vs. Dell Inspiron 2100 (Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2001/05/20010522114618.shtml>

Making Your Mac Act Like A PC (BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/may2001/nf20010523_687.htm>
Connectix' updated Virtual PC program is something to celebrate: a glitch-free way to run just about any Windows software on your Mac.

Sharity 2.4 (ATPM)
<http://www.atpm.com/7.05/sharity.shtml>
If you use Mac OS X in a mixed computing environment, Sharity is an absolute must.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ===============

Microsoft: It's Just Like Old Times (Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2764214,00.html>
As more than 140 chief executives converge on Microsoft here for a two-day schmooze-fest, the company has reason to feel upbeat. Its stock price is up for the year, new products are in the pipeline, and a proposed company break-up seems less likely.

WinXP Beta System Virus Defences Breached (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/19158.html>
How safe is Microsoft's new approach to viruses? Sort of safe, but not entirely helpful, it would appear.

Microsoft's Dominance May Just Be Beginning (San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/opinion/dgillmor/dg052201.htm>
While Microsoft has made a few nods in a positive direction, the company's overall aims and tactics have barely changed.

Dell Announces First Itanium Server (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6009097.html?tag=owv>
ell Computer said Tuesday it would come out this summer with its first server based on Intel's new 64-bit Itanium processor.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

Microsoft: It's Just Like Old Times (Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2764214,00.html>
As more than 140 chief executives converge on Microsoft here for a two-day schmooze-fest, the company has reason to feel upbeat. Its stock price is up for the year, new products are in the pipeline, and a proposed company break-up seems less likely.

Microsoft Puts High-End Windows To The Test (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6016127.html?tag=owv>
Microsoft later on Wednesday will announce that a long-awaited high-end version of its Windows XP operating system, intended to compete with Unix, is entering customer testing.

Top Brokerages Stump For Dell (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6014127.html?tag=owv>
Dell Computer got a boost Wednesday as a pair of prominent brokerages recommended shares of the PC maker.

WinXP Beta System Virus Defences Breached (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/19158.html>
How safe is Microsoft's new approach to viruses? Sort of safe, but not entirely helpful, it would appear.

Compaq's Timely Evo-lution (Gartner Viewpoint)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201-6004823-0.html?tag=lh>
With this sweeping announcement, Compaq has taken a positive step toward closing its market-share gap with Dell, while addressing many of the computing needs of Compaq's customers.

Microsoft's Strange Obsession With Be, Inc. (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/9928.html>
Microsoft and its leader Mr. Gates have spellbound by Be for years.

Microsoft's Dominance May Just Be Beginning (San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/opinion/dgillmor/dg052201.htm>
While Microsoft has made a few nods in a positive direction, the company's overall aims and tactics have barely changed.

Dell Announces First Itanium Server (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6009097.html?tag=owv>
ell Computer said Tuesday it would come out this summer with its first server based on Intel's new 64-bit Itanium processor.

Intel: Itanium Mainly A Development Chip (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6007851.html?tag=owv>
Itanium-based servers for the telecommunications market will be largely symbolic until the arrival of the chip's successor.

Microsoft Deal Boosts McAfee.com Shares (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6003737.html?tag=owv>
Shares of McAfee.com, which leases computer security software, rose as much as 60 percent after the company said it will work with Microsoft to provide a new security service.

Compaq Setting Price For Tablet PC (Bloomberg News)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-6006107.html?tag=owv>
Compaq Computer says the tablet-shaped, wireless PC it is developing with Microsoft to introduce next year will be priced about the same as a notebook computer.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ===============

Analysts: Rates Could Push Surfers Away (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6006422.html>
Higher prices from AOL Time Warner and rivals offering Internet access could cut into online usage at a time when the U.S. market is nearing saturation, according to Net analysts.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

Spammers -- Are They Stupid Or Are We? (ZDNet UK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2764213,00.html>
We get spam, because we, the users of the world, deserve it.

MacNN Web Site Partners With NewsFactor (Insanely Great Mac)
<http://www.insanely-great.com/news/01/797.html>
Many forum readers are concerned over the new design of the site, in addition to potential changes in Mac OS coverage.

ISPs Wary Of Following AOL's Footsteps (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6007412.html>
Analysts are predicting copycat price hikes will quickly follow AOL Time Warner's decision to raise rates for its America Online service, although Internet service providers reacted cautiously to the news.

Analysts: Rates Could Push Surfers Away (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6006422.html>
Higher prices from AOL Time Warner and rivals offering Internet access could cut into online usage at a time when the U.S. market is nearing saturation, according to Net analysts.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Dell: Linux Too Tech For The Desktop (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6015417.html?tag=owv>
Dell Computer says Linux is set to make significant headway into the market for graphics workstations, but also says the dream of a desktop competitor to Windows remains just that--a dream.

== PenguinSurf (News) ===============

Dell: Linux Too Tech For The Desktop (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6015417.html?tag=owv>
Dell Computer says Linux is set to make significant headway into the market for graphics workstations, but also says the dream of a desktop competitor to Windows remains just that--a dream.

IBM To Let Linux Fans Use Mainframe -- For Free (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5083323,00.html>
IBM will announce late in the week that it has made one of its 10-processor zSeries mainframe computers available via the Internet for access by people interested in working with the Linux operating system.

VA Linux's Losses Grow Fourfold (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6008703.html?tag=owvhttp://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6008703.html?tag=owv>
VA Linux Systems, which makes products and services for the Linux computer operating system, on Tuesday said its third-quarter pro forma loss grew more than fourfold, citing difficult market conditions.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ===============

We Have To Pay Top Dollar For Top Talent, Says SM Lee (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,2276,8809,00.html?>
Singaporeans must understand that they have to pay top dollar to attract the best talent to help local companies compete in the international league, said Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew yesterday.

Right To Vote Not Same As The Duty To (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,45933,00.html?>
The right is linked to a responsibility and a duty. I did not say the right was synonymous with responsibility and duty.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ===============

Promising Stuff, But... (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/0,1381,17497,00.html>
The first round of this broadcasting feast may have left us unsatiated. Then again, it may just be that nouvelle cuisine like this takes time to settle.

Channel U Gains 25% Viewership (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,1870,45663,00.html?>
This figure is up from the initial 20 per cent during the two weeks since the channel was launched on May 6.