[MyAppleMenu] May 22, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue May 22 21:05:04 EDT 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Jobs And Tevanian Vow To Fight OS X Speed Train (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/19113.html>
Apple CEO Steve Jobs and chief software henchman Avi Tevanian went out of their way to acknowledge performance concerns about OS X in a marathon keynote yesterday. A note of 'we feel your pain' seemed to be mixed into the usual evangelical message.

PC-Mac Debate Ends With Price (Baltimore Sun)
<http://www.sunspot.net/technology/pluggedin/bal-pl.himowitz21may21.column?coll=bal%2Dhome%2Dcolumnists>
How much "cooler" does a computer have to be to command a premium of almost 50 percent?

Apple Installs OS X On All New Macs (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5992546.html?tag=lh>
The move comes two months ahead of schedule, amid what Jobs said is great enthusiasm for the new OS.

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

New MS-Word Macro Warning (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/19111.html>
While it's true that all recent versions of MS Office supposedly require the user's permission to run a macro, a wee little oversight at Redmond Security Central makes it possible for an RTF (Rich Text Format) document opened by Word to execute a macro automatically if it's embedded in a template.

Jobs And Tevanian Vow To Fight OS X Speed Train (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/19113.html>
Apple CEO Steve Jobs and chief software henchman Avi Tevanian went out of their way to acknowledge performance concerns about OS X in a marathon keynote yesterday. A note of 'we feel your pain' seemed to be mixed into the usual evangelical message.

Motorola Debuts New PowerPC Chip (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5995852.html?tag=owv>
In addition to being less power hungry, the new PowerPC 7440 will be physically smaller than the PowerPC 7450. This will help the 7440 chip fit better into the tight confines of networking equipment, such as network routers.

Apple Smells Success (IDEAadvisor)
<http://www.ideaadvisor.com/article/article.asp?aid=11291>
Ah, the sweet smell of success.

At Apple, X Is Jobs' One (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,43984,00.html>
With a slew of announcements on Monday, CEO Steve Jobs and other Apple executives exhorted developers here to immediately start eating, sleeping and breathing Mac OS X, Apple's latest operating system.

Resellers Welcome Apple's Retail Plans (CRN)
<http://www.techweb.com/wire/finance/story/INV20010521S0001>
Apple Computer's plan to open 25 U.S. retail stores this year is drawing guarded optimism from Apple VARs, which applaud the vendor's move to hoist market share but remain uncertain about its long-term strategy.

Apple Unveils Mac OS X Up-To-Date (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=6532>

QT Streaming Server Update Adds Skip Protection, More (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0105/21.qtstreaming.shtml>
Apple has updated its QuickTime Streaming Server to version 3.0.1, which adds skip protection, Web-based administration, enhanced authentication, and beefed up broadcasting support.

Apple Rolls Out New Mac OS X Server (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0105/21.server.shtml>
"Mac OS X Server is Apple's most powerful server ever and can easily integrate into Mac, Windows and UNIX networks," Schiller said in a statement.

A New Era For Apple (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,43965,00.html>

>From The Horse's Mouth: 10 More Apple Store Locations Confirmed (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/05/21.8.shtml>
Most, if not all, of the store locations listed above have been mentioned previously in rumors floating around the Web.

CRT Out, LCD In: Apple Announces 17" Flat Panel Display (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/05/21.15.shtml>

Apple Ships Java-Based WebObjects 5 (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/05/21.14.shtml>

Will OS X's Unix Roots Help Apple Grow? (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5992099.html?tag=lh>
Developers and industry analysts warn that Apple has a long way to go before it understands the Unix community or delivers to them the tools needed to effectively bring their programs to the Mac.

Apple Installs OS X On All New Macs (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5992546.html?tag=lh>
The move comes two months ahead of schedule, amid what Jobs said is great enthusiasm for the new OS.

Borland JBuilder 5 For Mac OS X (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=6510>

7700 Visitors In Two Days At The Apple Store (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/05/21.16.shtml>

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ===============

Dominoes Effect (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/opinion/opinion_may01/sean_may01.cfm>
Mere mention of the word "restructuring" in the middle of an IT slump is likely to strike fear into Apple employees. Especially those partial to pizza.

The OS X Curmudgeon Grumbles Again (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/misc/010522.html>
OS X is just another Unix with a pretty face.

The Depreciation Game (MacOPINION)
<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/01/05/22/index.html>
One of the baneful things about computers is that they depreciate on a curve whose trajectory resembles that of a falling rock -- even worse than cars.

Why AOL Needs Apple (Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/newsletters/2001/05/77.htm>
Apple and AOL make good partners. Together, they are perhaps the greatest threat to the Microsoft monopoly.

PC-Mac Debate Ends With Price (Baltimore Sun)
<http://www.sunspot.net/technology/pluggedin/bal-pl.himowitz21may21.column?coll=bal%2Dhome%2Dcolumnists>
How much "cooler" does a computer have to be to command a premium of almost 50 percent?

Mac OS X: Then And Now (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/columns/flipside/2001/20010521.shtml>
The voices of protest seem to soften up these days, and a Mac user who wants his platform to prosper could see this as a good sign.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

BBEdit Quashes Competition As Premier OS X Text Editor (MacNN)
<http://osx.macnn.com/feature.php?id=251>
BBEdit 6.1.2 should be an example for developers looking to port their applications to Mac OS X.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ===============

Intel Powers Down With New Chips (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5991753.html?tag=owv>
Intel wants to be the king of energy-saving processors.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

New MS-Word Macro Warning (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/19111.html>
While it's true that all recent versions of MS Office supposedly require the user's permission to run a macro, a wee little oversight at Redmond Security Central makes it possible for an RTF (Rich Text Format) document opened by Word to execute a macro automatically if it's embedded in a template.

Intel Hypes New Server-Computer Chips (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5995339.html?tag=owv>
Intel, the biggest computer chipmaker, begins advertising Monday to promote its processors for server computers, which will compete with those of Sun Microsystems.

Microsoft Denies Anti-Competition Charges (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5994734.html?tag=owv>
Microsoft said Monday that it had not engaged in illegal marketing practices in Brazil, where the U.S. software giant is the target of a probe into whether it unfairly tried to dominate the market for financial-management software.

Analysts: No Clear Point To Dell's Price War (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5987702.html?tag=owv>
Dell Computer keeps digging trenches in the PC price war, but Wall Street questions whether the battle is even worth fighting.

Intel Powers Down With New Chips (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5991753.html?tag=owv>
Intel wants to be the king of energy-saving processors.

Who's Afraid Of Windows XP? (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2762808,00.html>
I don't know about the rest of you out there, but needing to call Microsoft tech support is a frightening prospect.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

AOL Raises Subscription Rate (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6000590.html?tag=owv>
Internet giant America Online on Tuesday said it is hiking its subscriptions rate by $1.95, a move widely anticipated by the Wall Street community as the company moves to meet near-term financial goals.

Why AOL Needs Apple (Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/newsletters/2001/05/77.htm>
Apple and AOL make good partners. Together, they are perhaps the greatest threat to the Microsoft monopoly.

NBC To Cue Up PC "Convergence" (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5996053.html?tag=owv>
Millions of TV sets will be hooked up to new wires beginning this summer--if NBC and technology company DigitalConvergence have their way.

Can You Get A New Domain Name? (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5991783.html?tag=owv>
Grabbing an Internet address that ends with a new domain may be more difficult than you think.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ===============

RIP: Linux On The Desktop (LinuxPlanet)
<http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/3387/1/>
Oh, sure, the corpse is still kicking around a little, and there's some debate about whether the patient is officially dead. But all we're waiting for now is the official death certificate from the coroner.

== PenguinSurf (News) ===============

RIP: Linux On The Desktop (LinuxPlanet)
<http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/3387/1/>
Oh, sure, the corpse is still kicking around a little, and there's some debate about whether the patient is officially dead. But all we're waiting for now is the official death certificate from the coroner.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Over 100 Billion Dollars In Singapore Reserves In Safe Hands: Lee (AFP)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010522/1/ptae.html>
Singapore's Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew Tuesday rejected criticism of a lack of transparency over investment of more than 100 billion US dollars in government reserves, saying the money was in safe hands.

BG Lee To Media: Fight Fair (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,45499,00.html?>
Government studying need for competition law to ensure fair play as more industries are liberalised.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ===============

Over 100 Billion Dollars In Singapore Reserves In Safe Hands: Lee (AFP)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010522/1/ptae.html>
Singapore's Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew Tuesday rejected criticism of a lack of transparency over investment of more than 100 billion US dollars in government reserves, saying the money was in safe hands.

Singapore Employers Told To Pay What They Can Afford (AFP)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010522/1/psye.html>
Singapore's National Wages Council (NWC) refused to set a pay increase in its annual guidelines released Tuesday, advising employers to raise wages only if they can afford to in an uncertain economic environment.

BG Lee To Media: Fight Fair (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,45499,00.html?>
Government studying need for competition law to ensure fair play as more industries are liberalised.

Why Hotter Nights (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,45449,00.html?>
According to the Meteorological Service, this is because the night breeze is coming from the sea rather than from Johor.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ===============

singapore Launches Two New Wireless Initiatives (Reuters)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010522/3/psva.html>
Singapore on Tuesday launched two wireless initiatives aimed at building up the city states role as a test market for wireless products and services in Asia.

Singapore's Gambling Reputation Gives Way To Internet Porn (AFP)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010522/1/ps0m.html>
Singaporeans, renowned for being obsessed by gambling, are clicking off Internet betting and turning to porn, according to a study released Tuesday.

Catcha Stays Afloat (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/0,1381,17467,00.html>
More funding threw portal a lifeline.

That Top 40 Ringtone Could Be Illegal (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/cybernews/story/0,1870,45578,00.html?>
Music publishers are hitting providers of ringtones from popular tunes for royalties, failing which the latter face legal action for copyright infringement.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ===============

Celebrity "Millionaire" Is Channel 5's Most-Watched Show In 3 Years (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010521/5/pqeq.html>
The first of four pre-recorded episodes featuring artistes playing for charity became Channel 5's highest rated programme since 1998.

Movie Buffs Up In Arms Over Ticket Price Hike (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/Eyeball/Story/0,1381,17462,00.html?>
Starting this Thursday, Eng Wah, Golden Village, Shaw and United Artists - members of the Cinematograph Film Exhibitors' Association - will raise their ticket prices by 50 cents.