[MyAppleMenu] May 19, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat May 19 21:05:02 EDT 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Apple To Launch Retail Concept In Glendale (Los Angele Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/communities/news/burbank-glendale_metro/20010519/tgn0014644.html>
The Galleria Apple store opens at 10 a.m. today, and will be between Bacharach, a men's clothing store, and Scribner's, a book store, on the mall's second level. The store plans to stay open today until midnight.

Conference To Rally Developers Behind OS X (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5975985.html?tag=lh>
Mac OS X is expected to take center stage next week as Apple Computer kicks off its annual Worldwide Developer Conference.

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

Apple To Launch Retail Concept In Glendale (Los Angele Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/communities/news/burbank-glendale_metro/20010519/tgn0014644.html>
The Galleria Apple store opens at 10 a.m. today, and will be between Bacharach, a men's clothing store, and Scribner's, a book store, on the mall's second level. The store plans to stay open today until midnight.

Manila Web Content Management Comes To Mac OS X (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0105/19.manilla.shtml>
The Internet server application is designed to allow groups of writers, designers and graphics people to manage full-featured, high performance Web sites easily.

NewsFactor Relationship Brings New Design (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=6499>
As expected, our partnership with NewsFactor has brought a few design changes.

Metrowerks To Arm Mac OS X Programmers (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2762014,00.html>
Metrowerks Inc. is hoping to remain vital to Mac developers swept up in Apple Computer Inc.'s changeover to Mac OS X. To that end, the company will distribute "early-access" versions of new tools for Mac OS X at Apple's Worldwide Developers' Conference next week and include these and other features in a version of CodeWarrior slated to ship this fall.

Conference To Rally Developers Behind OS X (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5975985.html?tag=lh>
Mac OS X is expected to take center stage next week as Apple Computer kicks off its annual Worldwide Developer Conference.

Analysts/Dealers Offer Mixed Views On Apple Retail Plans (Macworld)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0105/18.retail.shtml>
Depending on who you talk to, Apple's decision to open a chain of retail stores is either a great move that was a long time coming or a foolhardy venture that's likely to blow up in the company's face.

Omni To Show OS X Games At WWDC (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/>

Michael Dell Basehs Apple & Steve Jobs On CNBC (Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/stockwatch/2001/05/18.1.shtml>
"They make a fine product, but it's very, very clear what the trend in the market is."

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ===============

"One Of The Silliest Nicknames For A Mac Yet" (Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2001/05/20010518134732.shtml>

What Needs To Happen For Apple Retail To Be Successful (Insanely Great Mac)
<http://www.insanely-great.com/features/010518.html>
It's a bold move by the company to increase awareness and sales of its products, but I don't see this as a do or die situation.

Rethinking Apple Stores, Rethinking Apple Marketing & Advertising (Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/columns/ibrotha/2001/20010518.shtml>
Apple will use its ostensibly "weak" advertising campaign and "bad idea" retail stores to develop a cumulatively compelling photo representing one of the best choices in personal computing.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

Apple G4 With The Altivec Processor (LinuxJournal)
<http://noframes.linuxjournal.com/lj-issues/issue86/4584.html>
After a description like that, who wouldn't want to have one of these at home?

The iBook Seductress (Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2001/05/20010518125336.shtml>
There has never been a Mac, portable or desktop, that so nearly made me drool with desire as the new iBook does.

The Titanium Portrait Version (MacProf)
<http://www.macitynet.it/macprof/archive/titaniumportrait.shtml>
ere is how the wonderful Apple laptop can turn your opinions, on screen usability, upside down... And you can get a full size portable ebook reader!

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ===============

Microsoft Licensing Shift Creates Uncertainty For Users (Computerworld)
<http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/stories/0,1199,NAV47-68-84-88-93_STO60695,00.html>
Microsoft Corp.'s announcement last week that it has restructured its volume software licensing and upgrade policies has sent IT managers scrambling to their file cabinets to review the contracts they have in place now.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

The Truth About Windows Activation (BetaNews)
<http://www.betanews.com/article.php3?sid=990178092>
All IP protection technologies will be cracked at some point; it's just a matter of time.

Intel Backs Linux Everywhere (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/5/19058.html>
Intel has made its strongest commitment to developing Linux for the telecoms market to date, outlining what it sees as priorities for the development of the open source operating system.

Microsoft Licensing Shift Creates Uncertainty For Users (Computerworld)
<http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/stories/0,1199,NAV47-68-84-88-93_STO60695,00.html>
Microsoft Corp.'s announcement last week that it has restructured its volume software licensing and upgrade policies has sent IT managers scrambling to their file cabinets to review the contracts they have in place now.

Microsoft's .Net Is Monopoly Ploy, Says Competitor (New Zealand Herald)
<http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm?storyID=189598&thesection=technology&thesubsection=latest>
With a US appeals court still reviewing a landmark antitrust ruling against Microsoft the software giant's rivals have accused it of plotting a scheme to monopolise the internet.

Microsoft Sites Face Fee Hike (IT Week)
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,s2086916,00.html>
Microsoft's new Software Assurance programme could mean some users end up paying twice as much for its software.

Why Microsoft Will Never Go With Open-Source (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2760032,00.html>
The logic is quite simply that purchase agreements between Microsoft, a purveyor of technologies--many of which have been purchased from many different companies under license, will never allow Microsoft to publish anything as open-source.

Dell: Global Sales Will Rebound (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5972263.html?tag=owv>
Dell Computer on Friday stuck by a prediction that the European personal computer market would grow by 5 percent this year and that its global sales would rise again after a predicted second-quarter fall.

Michael Dell Basehs Apple & Steve Jobs On CNBC (Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/stockwatch/2001/05/18.1.shtml>
"They make a fine product, but it's very, very clear what the trend in the market is."

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ===============

Google Usenetters Get Posting Rights (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/19070.html>
Google continues to claw back the functionality lost when it bought out the Deja Usenet archive, and threw the UI overboard.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

Google Usenetters Get Posting Rights (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/19070.html>
Google continues to claw back the functionality lost when it bought out the Deja Usenet archive, and threw the UI overboard.

Manila Web Content Management Comes To Mac OS X (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0105/19.manilla.shtml>
The Internet server application is designed to allow groups of writers, designers and graphics people to manage full-featured, high performance Web sites easily.

Docomo Overwhelmed By Requests For 3G Trial Service (EE Times)
<http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20010518S0024>

VeriSign Keeps Control Of .com Domain (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5083185,00.html>
After days of wrangling, the Commerce Department finally left its rubber stamp on an agreement with the Internet's governing body that allows VeriSign to remain in control of the .com domain.

Amazon Wants To Be In Pictures (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-5969875.html?tag=owv>
The e-tailing giant on Friday launched a new tab on its Web site, dubbed "In Theaters," where online users can go to find movie show times and read customer and editorial reviews of the latest films.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ===============

== PenguinSurf (News) ===============

Intel Backs Linux Everywhere (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/5/19058.html>
Intel has made its strongest commitment to developing Linux for the telecoms market to date, outlining what it sees as priorities for the development of the open source operating system.

Apple G4 With The Altivec Processor (LinuxJournal)
<http://noframes.linuxjournal.com/lj-issues/issue86/4584.html>
After a description like that, who wouldn't want to have one of these at home?

Why Microsoft Will Never Go With Open-Source (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2760032,00.html>
The logic is quite simply that purchase agreements between Microsoft, a purveyor of technologies--many of which have been purchased from many different companies under license, will never allow Microsoft to publish anything as open-source.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ===============

Pennsylvania House Boss Says 'Sorry' (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,44797,00.html?>
Mr Ho suggested that customers should write to the company's receivers, Ernst & Young, with their invoices and receipts to make a claim on their furniture.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ===============

Singapore Technology Star Faked Credentials, Report (AFP)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010519/1/pl7j.html>
An investigation by the Business Times newspaper has found that much of Lee's resume is false, and elipva co-founder and chief executive Thomas Choong said Lee had been suspended.

Free RAM (MacSingapore)
<http://www.macsingapore.com/archive/news200105a.html#applepromo>
>From now till 15 June 2001, purchase a PowerBook G4 and get free additional 256MB RAM OR an AirPort card!

No Need To Queue To Say 'I Do' From June (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,44801,00.html?>
Couples will be able to file their marriage notices electronically at the Registry of Marriages' website.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ===============

Channel 5 To Offer Sizzling Action Movies At Prime Time (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010519/5/plmc.html>

Mr Kiasu - MediaCorp's New Sitcom From May 29 (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010518/5/pjwc.html>
Mr Kiasu, a Channel 5 sitcom based on cartoonist Johnny Lau's comic strip of the same name, parodies Singaporeans' debatedly unique trait of being 'kiasu', or 'scared to lose'.