[Retros] Latest trend

andrew buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Sun Jun 27 07:00:24 EDT 2021

 Hi Martin,
This isn't the most active mailing list, but I thought I would reply.
I would start with:
https://www.janko.at/Retros/index.htmThere are also
http://abrobecker.free.fr/chess/addunits.pdfhttp://abrobecker.free.fr/chess/IntroductionToPGs.pdfhttps://www.ozproblems.com/problem-world/pg1
Current directions are mainly in proof games and fairy chess. As a snapshot, here's the originals from recent issues of Phenix, which are really very difficult for novices. 8703, 8708, and 8796 are probably the simpler ones (although you need to know for half of the last what a Berolina pawn is - easy enough to google for that.)

https://phenix-echecs.fr/la_revue/telechargement_inedits/px_306-307_inedits.pdf
8703 - Castling rights?
8704 - Resolve the position
8705 - Proof game in 8.5 moves + 2 fairy conditions
8706 - Proof game in 14.5 moves + 1 fairy condition
8707 - Proof game in 26.0
8708 - Replace letters with pieces, figure out their colours, last move?
8709 - Proof game in 20.5 moves + 1 fairy condition
https://phenix-echecs.fr/la_revue/telechargement_inedits/px_310-311_inedits.pdf
8796 - Shortest proof game + fairy piece in 1 twin
8797 - Shortest proof game + fairy condition
8798 - Proof game in 10.5 + fairy condition
8799 - Proof game in 14.0 + fairy condition
8800 - Proof game in 19.5 + fairy condition
8801 - Proof game in 21.5

Any other good places to start?
Thanks,
Andrew